TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 798974 times)
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #940 on: February 05, 2019, 06:31:55 PM »

Late posting but Martyn Joseph at the Stables. Usual high standard. Saw him earlier in the tour and he had shuffled his set round so it all seemed fresh. The songs off his new album have really bedded in and the re were a few covers from Waits and Springsteen. Very strong finish with Nye, Cardiff Bay and Lonely Like America. There really is no better songwriter/performer around. His passion and commitment is so valuable in these depressing times.

Which Waits & Springsteen songs did he cover?
Down in the Hole and Ghost of Tom Joad.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #941 on: February 10, 2019, 06:31:02 AM »

Last night, Fleetwood Mac at the Frank Erwin Center, Austin!

Terrific show. Neil Finn is a great singer and guitarist, and they gave him his own spotlight performance of "Don't Dream It's Over."  They dipped into the early Mac songbook to play Oh Well (sung by Mike Campbell!), Black Magic Woman (sung by Stevie Nicks!) and a Danny Kirwan song whose title I did not catch.  They ended with a lovely duet between Christine McVie and Stevie, on an unfamiliar song that included the lyric "time to break the chain" or somesuch.  It seemed like a bookend for "The Chain," which opened the show.  At the conclusion, Mick Fleetwood sent best wishes to Lindsey Buckingham, who is having a bad time right now.

The biggest surprise was a smashing tribute to Tom Petty:  "Free Fallin'"

And I couldn't see a damn thing because the guy in front of me was 6-foot 4.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #942 on: February 10, 2019, 11:02:14 PM »

The Young'Uns performing their terrific Ballad of Johnny Longstaff show at the South Bank Centre yesterday. It is a hugely thought provoking piece but delivered with wit and grace. My only criticism is that seeing the show reveals the album as a cut down version and I wish the whole show had been included on the recording, especially the very moving final few seconds.

However, if you get a chance to see this, do not hesitate. It is not a standard Young 'Uns gig but a very structured multimedia performance about the hunger marches of the 1930s, the rise of fascism and the Spanish Civil War. All bets are off for anyone else winning best live act or best album at the Folk Awards this year.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #943 on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:58 AM »

The Young'Uns performing their terrific Ballad of Johnny Longstaff show at the South Bank Centre yesterday. It is a hugely thought provoking piece but delivered with wit and grace. My only criticism is that seeing the show reveals the album as a cut down version and I wish the whole show had been included on the recording, especially the very moving final few seconds.

However, if you get a chance to see this, do not hesitate. It is not a standard Young 'Uns gig but a very structured multimedia performance about the hunger marches of the 1930s, the rise of fascism and the Spanish Civil War. All bets are off for anyone else winning best live act or best album at the Folk Awards this year.

Saw this show last year and fully agree with your sentiments. I saw the show at a very small venue, Maldon Town Hall, and I think seeing it in a small, intimate venue (capacity 200) added to the experience

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #944 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »

Saw this show last year and fully agree with your sentiments. I saw the show at a very small venue, Maldon Town Hall, and I think seeing it in a small, intimate venue (capacity 200) added to the experience

Yes, this was in the Purcell Room, the smallest of the South Bank Centre venues at 370 seats so still fairly intimate. It was the matinee show and there was a huge standing ovation at the end at which the lads looked slightly embarrassed and which may never have stopped had Sean not said, "Can you please stop clapping? We've got another show to do!"  Grin
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #945 on: February 11, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »

Setlist and excellent review from the local fish wrapper:  https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190210/fleetwood-mac-makes-way-without-buckingham-at-erwin-center
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #946 on: February 11, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »

At the conclusion, Mick Fleetwood sent best wishes to Lindsey Buckingham, who is having a bad time right now.

With not being in the band?  Or something else?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #947 on: February 11, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »

At the conclusion, Mick Fleetwood sent best wishes to Lindsey Buckingham, who is having a bad time right now.

Jules

He’s had open heart surgery and (temporarily) lost the use of his vocal cords!

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #948 on: February 12, 2019, 12:12:38 AM »

Jules

He’s had open heart surgery and (temporarily) lost the use of his vocal cords!

Yes, Lindsey is having a rough time right now, health-wise. Mick's closing remarks were very thoughtful and appropriate.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #949 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »

Hell's bells, I had no idea.  Good for Mick, to do the right thing.  It's probably lucky that LB wasn't out on tour with them after all.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #950 on: February 12, 2019, 06:11:12 PM »

Hell's bells, I had no idea.  Good for Mick, to do the right thing.  It's probably lucky that LB wasn't out on tour with them after all.

Jules

I don't think the 'temporarily' referred to above is anything other than a wish, is it?  What i read from his wife was very much a 'wait and see'.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #951 on: February 12, 2019, 07:56:14 PM »

Here's the story
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47182955

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #952 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:55 AM »

Went to see the Lost Words, Folk Music and Spell Songs at the Queen Elizabeth Hall,London last night. What a wonderful wonderful and fascinating concert. It started with a discussion session with the authors of the book (Robert MacFarlane and Jackie Morris) hosted by the editor of Songlines. Then we went into the music which has been specially commissioned by Folk by the Oak based on the book. The musicians included Julie Fowlis, Kris Drever, Karine Polwart, Beth Porter, Rachel Newton, Seckou Keita and Jim Molyneux. A truly mesmerising performance!

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #953 on: February 14, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »

Another excellent review, this from the James Taylor/Bonnie Raitt show last night at the Erwin Center:  https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190214/james-taylor-bonnie-raitt-play-to-each-others-strengths-at-erwin-center

The reviewer is spot on in his remarks about the venue, late arrivals, etc.  There's no set list in the text, but one of the accompanying photos shows JT holding up his chalkboard with the complete set list clearly visible.  Smiley
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #954 on: February 15, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »

The East Pointers. Canadian folk band.  A freebie, and a band I'm unfamiliar with. Support were good too-   Balter.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #955 on: February 17, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »

Lau played a blinder at the Grand Theatre in Lancaster last night. Some very effective lighting to go along with all of Martin's mad electronics but they played some numbers in acoustic mode as well at the front of the stage. The second set was the new album and they ended with Ghosts which brought a tear to my eye having heard some sad news earlier in the day about a friend a good 15 years younger than myself who was found dead a couple of days ago.

So a somewhat emotional night but if you're a fan do try and get along to see them on this tour. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.lau-music.co.uk/gigs/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »

Steve Harley Acoustic Trio at the New Vic. Absolutely superb , he just gets better and better. Longest and loudest standing ovation I've seen at the venue in 30 years.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »

Steve Knightley's Stories and Songs from the Road show at Nettlebed last night.  A little different, as he spent about as long telling stories about the life of a travelling musician as he did playing songs.  Not sure if this was because he was recovering from laryngitis, so singing wasn't so easy, or just the way the show is structured.

His voice was a bit rough, but he has a good way of communicating, and I found it very interesting and informative, as well as enjoyable.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #958 on: February 22, 2019, 01:05:58 AM »

Not long home from seeing Steve Winwood and Steely Dan at the Manchester arena.
Stevie was great, he did a sort of best of set, 3 spencer davis group songs, lots of traffic and a smidgeon of his solo and blind faith stuff.
   Steely Dan were astonishingly brilliant, Freddie Washington is a monstrously great bass player and the drummer, whose name escapes me was utterly amazing, Fagen is cool as but the rest of the band, keyboards, guitar, 3 girly singers( the Danettes) and the 4 piece horn section  were top notch. Possibly the most accomplished band I've ever seen, and the material isnt exactly shabby. Best 97 quid ive ever spent on a show.

The Dude abides
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #959 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »

Not long home from seeing Steve Winwood and Steely Dan at the Manchester arena.
Stevie was great, he did a sort of best of set, 3 spencer davis group songs, lots of traffic and a smidgeon of his solo and blind faith stuff.
   Steely Dan were astonishingly brilliant, Freddie Washington is a monstrously great bass player and the drummer, whose name escapes me was utterly amazing, Fagen is cool as but the rest of the band, keyboards, guitar, 3 girly singers( the Danettes) and the 4 piece horn section  were top notch. Possibly the most accomplished band I've ever seen, and the material isnt exactly shabby. Best 97 quid ive ever spent on a show.
I would have enjoyed that  Cheesy

As indeed I thoroughly enjoyed Jim Moray on Tuesday. He is playing as a Trio - with violinist Tom Moore and double bassist Matthew Downer - and they are a joy to watch and hear. Recommended Smiley
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:37:15 AM by Bridgwit (Bridget) » Logged

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: