TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:56:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803368 times)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #700 on: September 24, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets at Portsmouth Guildhall...I never thought I'd see a band play pre-Dark Side Of The Moon era Pink Floyd with such enthusiasm, passion and love as I did last night. An outstanding gig with some real surprises.

Well jeal, did Nick have a kit twice as big as the stage?
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #701 on: September 24, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »

I've still not actually seen anywhere online that they are splitting...do we know this for a fact?

I spoke to Vinnie, Mike and Simon and they all confirmed it and during the set Alex announced it as their 'farewell tour'. I got the impression, particularly from Mike, they weren't totally ruling out that they may do something again in some form in the future, but for the time being that's it.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #702 on: September 24, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets at Portsmouth Guildhall...I never thought I'd see a band play pre-Dark Side Of The Moon era Pink Floyd with such enthusiasm, passion and love as I did last night. An outstanding gig with some real surprises.

Well jeal, did Nick have a kit twice as big as the stage?

Not quite, but he did have a massive symphonic gong behind his drums, about which he quipped "Roger and David would never let me play the gong, so this my revenge !"
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #703 on: September 24, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »

An evening of vocal music at Tewkesbury Abbey last Saturday; my interest was aroused as it included the premiere of a vocal arrangement (by Andrew Keeling) of Robert Fripp's "Pie Jesu" soundscape.  (Messrs Keeling and Fripp (and of course Toyah) were in attendance in the audience).

After a brief Prelude, the original Pie Jesu recording was played over the PA, sounding superb in the Abbey's acoustic.  The remainder of the evening comprised a selection of ancient and modern pieces, including a quite magnificent arrangement of Fripp & Eno's "Evening Star" - piano, cello and gongs (bowed and struck) at the east end of the nave, with the vocal group singing just inside the west door. The high point of the concert for me.

The actual Pie Jesu (vocal version) didn't work in my opinion... I wasn't convinced by the use of the piano as accompaniment, I'd have liked to have heard it sung a capella, or maybe with mellotron/string synth - I found the piano (being of a percussive nature) a wee bit obtrusive at times

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #704 on: September 26, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »

Nick Mason's SOS at Birmingham Symphony Hall.
Fabulous. Less intimate than the Half Moon, but I was five rows back so it didn't make that much difference. An extended set list that contained songs I never dreamed I'd see performed live and much tighter playing made it worth a second ticket purchase.
One particular non musical highlight was Nick telling the audience that he was actually born in Birmingham. If you've ever heard Nick speak, he has very precise Queen's English diction, but half way through telling us this story, he adopted a pretty good Brummie accent, that was such a strange thing to hear coming out of his mouth, I didn't quite catch the first part, but it was something like,' Oooh, I always though yow woz the drummer in The Moowuv.'

Well I never did..
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #705 on: September 26, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »

More of the same next year, it seems - Nick's announced gigs in Cardiff, Cambridge & 2 in London's Roundhouse.

On sale Friday - here

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #706 on: September 26, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »

More of the same next year, it seems - Nick's announced gigs in Cardiff, Cambridge & 2 in London's Roundhouse.

On sale Friday - here

And one in Aylesbury too.  Looking out to see what that will cost.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #707 on: September 26, 2018, 05:04:27 PM »

oooh, do you have a web link/date for that?

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #708 on: September 26, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »

On sale Friday - here

Brum was £45, if that helps.

Well I never did..
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #709 on: September 27, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »

I saw 80s pop princess last night along with a small crowd at Preston Guild Hall and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, I was not sure this went for the majority of the crowd who were visibly shocked by the blistering guitars and rasping rock vocals. Her latest unreleased (now delayed) new album is produced by a member of "punk" band Killing Floor who was in the band at the gig and they certainly didn't hold back. There was a brief moment it the middle with just keyboard where Tiffany appeased the pop fans but even on those two track she really showed she had a fine vocal. I approached this gig with serious trepidation and left admiring a fine group of musicians and a great vocalist, I may even be tempted to go again when she returns to the uk. Unfortunately the usual phone videos were out so there is evidence on YouTube but only the hits although a better version of I think we're alone now. And the t shirt I bought has a rude word on it maybe another hint at the harder edge she is going for. I returned home thoroughly entertained but slightly disappointed as Steve Ashley has cancelled his gig at keighley due to a cold!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #710 on: September 28, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »

On sale Friday - here

Roundhouse is £50. Booking has just opened and I've got tickets so many thanks to whoever it was that started this discussion.
(Sorry - no recent gigs to mention)

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #711 on: September 28, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

Yes, me too.....got a seat as well.

JohnP69

« Reply #712 on: September 28, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »

Fabulous. Less intimate than the Half Moon, but I was five rows back so it didn't make that much difference. An extended set list that contained songs I never dreamed I'd see performed live and much tighter playing made it worth a second ticket purchase.
One particular non musical highlight was Nick telling the audience that he was actually born in Birmingham. If you've ever heard Nick speak, he has very precise Queen's English diction, but half way through telling us this story, he adopted a pretty good Brummie accent, that was such a strange thing to hear coming out of his mouth, I didn't quite catch the first part, but it was something like,' Oooh, I always though yow woz the drummer in The Moowuv.'

Going to Nottingham tomorrow night,well excited!!!
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #713 on: September 28, 2018, 10:52:58 PM »

Cropredy headliner as a massive TAW pleaser? I'm in as I'm sure many others would be.

Chris
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #714 on: September 29, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »

Cropredy headliner as a massive TAW pleaser? I'm in as I'm sure many others would be.

Chris

And doable too.  It's a thought.

I do wonder though, if this is a little like Percy's Priory of Brion project which starts off in the clubs and is a lot of fun and then becomes too big.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #715 on: September 29, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »

Yes, me too.....got a seat as well.

Standing for us. I am assuming that sitting/lying on the floor staring at the groovy psychedelic light show is no longer a thing.  Smiley

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #716 on: October 01, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »

Martin Simpson, in Salop. As good as ever. £15, good value in anybodys money.
Played a few minutes over two hours, which I reckon is about right if there is no support act. A few other artistes could take note.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #717 on: October 02, 2018, 05:34:22 AM »

A great night out in Southampton, in the company of Miles Hunt (of Wonderstuff fame), on the first night of his custodian tour. It was a very relaxed and fun evening, as he took us on a chronological history of his career in music, starting with the first song he wrote when he was 13. He was very engaging, with lots of anecdotes (finding Wizzard kipping on his living room floor when he was 7!), and providing the context of the songs he played. As it was the first night, he was still working out what to play and whether we thought they worked. They did. £13 for a good solid 90 mins. Great night, great songs - what more could you want.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #718 on: October 02, 2018, 06:39:26 AM »

A great night out in Southampton, in the company of Miles Hunt (of Wonderstuff fame), on the first night of his custodian tour. It was a very relaxed and fun evening, as he took us on a chronological history of his career in music, starting with the first song he wrote when he was 13. He was very engaging, with lots of anecdotes (finding Wizzard kipping on his living room floor when he was 7!), and providing the context of the songs he played. As it was the first night, he was still working out what to play and whether we thought they worked. They did. £13 for a good solid 90 mins. Great night, great songs - what more could you want.

Entirely solo?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #719 on: October 02, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »

Entirely solo?

Yup! The songs worked really well, and Miles was in great voice.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: