TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803574 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #380 on: March 16, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »

Los Lobos / Los Super Seven (stylized as LS7) last night, Auditorium Shores, Austin, Texas.

LS7 has a revolving membership of mainly Latino artists from California, Texas and elsewhere. Last night's incarnation was half of Los Lobos and half of Los Texmaniacs augmented by country star Rick Trevino and accordian legend Flaco Jiminez.  Terrific show, with a great mix of traditional tunes and some brand new material, including some very timely political stuff.

Los Lobos were a man short.  David Hidalgo did not make the trip to Austin, so it sort of turned into a Cesar Rosas solo show.  Not that I'm complaining, but DH's absence limited the set list to Cesar's songs and a few choice covers (She's About a Mover by the Sir Douglas Quintet, Oye Como Va by Tito Puente, done Santana style, Good Lovin' by the Rascals, and, of course, La Bamba).  Without DH, Los Lobos is strictly an electric band.  No fiddle, no acoustic numbers.  I loved it, but I really missed the variety and texture he brings to the show.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #381 on: March 17, 2018, 07:15:27 AM »

Kast Off Kinks last night in Witham Essex. Brilliant night with all the Kinks hits played full on. Band really rocked on All Day and All of the  Ishtar and You Really Got Me. Mick Avory took lead vocals of Dedicated Follower of Fashion. Basically it was the Kinks but with Dave Clark subbing for Ray Davies. Well worth it if you get the chance

Born to Run (but not very fast)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #382 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »

Larkin Poe (Cropredy 2012) at the legendary Antone's, Austin, March 17, 2018! This was an electric show, without the acoustic guitars and mandolins that they play so well. During their SXSW residency this week, I reckon they've been promoting their hard rocking side. It was too brief, but wonderful.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #383 on: March 19, 2018, 06:59:07 AM »

Kast Off Kinks last night in Witham Essex. Brilliant night with all the Kinks hits played full on. Band really rocked on All Day and All of the Night
and You Really Got Me. Mick Avory took lead vocals of Dedicated Follower of Fashion. Basically it was the Kinks but with Dave Clark subbing for Ray Davies. Well worth it if you get the chance

garrypbrooks

« Reply #384 on: March 19, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »

Kast Off Kinks last night in Witham Essex. Brilliant night with all the Kinks hits played full on. Band really rocked on All Day and All of the  Ishtar and You Really Got Me. Mick Avory took lead vocals of Dedicated Follower of Fashion. Basically it was the Kinks but with Dave Clark subbing for Ray Davies. Well worth it if you get the chance

Witham Rocks ! Smiley

I will try to catch KOK when they are down my way in May
garrypbrooks

« Reply #385 on: March 19, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »

A coupe of excellent gigs in Surrey/Kent:

last night Caravan closed the Claygate Festival. Great to see them on stage again, even if multi-instrumentalist extrodinaire Geoffrey Richardson couldn't make it - they had John Etheridge instead, not a bad sub!

Last week Steamchicken at Pizza Express Maidstone - can this lot swing and rock. Not a lot to do with folk, but easy to see why they get quite a few folk fest gigs. Catch them if you can
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2018, 09:19:01 AM »

Witham Rocks ! Smiley

I will try to catch KOK when they are down my way in May

Absolutely! I help with front of house duties at Witham Public Hall and lined up for this year so far we have Marty Wilde, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Lil’ Jimmy Reed, Andy Fairweather Low and possibly Acoustic Strawbs. There is also a number of tribute acts covering the Blues Brothers, George Michael, Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison  Smiley

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #387 on: March 19, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »

I will try to catch KOK

Shocked

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »

Excellent gig last night at Nettlebed with Peter Knight and John Spiers.  Definitely recommend catching them if they are playing near you on this tour.  They were obviously enjoying playing with each other.  One or two more songs might have been nice, as it was almost entirely instrumental, but really can't complain at such virtuosity!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #389 on: March 21, 2018, 07:41:32 PM »

Wonderful intimate gig at ACL Live with Pat Benatar and her life/musical partner Neil Giraldo, last night!

She was on my bucket list, and I am so glad I got to see her at last.  Her incredible voice has lost none of its power and range, to my ears, even more so because she and Neil left the band at home and stuck to acoustic guitar, piano, and occasional samples.  They also told great stories between songs, and were incredibly fun and engaging.

I don't know if she works in the UK often, but I do encourage you to have a look even if you are only aware of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" or "Love Is A Battlefield," and/or the cheesy 1980s videos.  She's got a lot going on.  Smiley
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #390 on: March 22, 2018, 01:41:14 PM »

Yes at The Brighton Centre last night, a celebration of 50 years. A most excellent display despite (as I said in my report from their 2016 tour) the ethics of "who's in the band and is it really Yes without so-and-so" ?

The current Steve Howe-led ensemble (singer Jon Davison, bassist Billy Sherwood, keyboardist Geoff Downes, guitar maestro Steve Howe and drummer Jay Schellen deputising for an ailing Alan White) took the audience through selections from the first 10 years out of 50, culminating in a sizeable chunk of Tales From Topographic Oceans. Alan White, recovering after back surgery, came out and gamely drummed for the last part of "Ritual : Nous Sommes Du Soleil" and the inevitable encores of "Roundabout" and "Starship Trooper". It wasn't great to see one of my favourite drummers as a shadow of his former self - however, deputy Jay Schellen did a marvellous job behind the traps for the majority of the concert.

My main observation is that this version of the band have really started to impose their own personalities on the fabulous and complex Yes catalogue, going way beyond being a "cd-quality" tribute band just going through the motions.

The future ? I'll await and observe with interest - the legend of Yes is far from over yet...

Great set list, though :

Set 1 :

The Firebird Suite
(Igor Stravinsky)

Yours Is No Disgrace
I've Seen All Good People
Sweet Dreams
South Side of the Sky
Onward
Clap
Wonderous Stories
Parallels
And You and I

Set 2 :

The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn)
Leaves of Green
Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil)

Encore:

Roundabout
Starship Trooper
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #391 on: March 22, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »

Yes at The Brighton Centre last night, a celebration of 50 years. A most excellent display despite (as I said in my report from their 2016 tour) the ethics of "who's in the band and is it really Yes without so-and-so" ?catalogue, going way beyond being a "cd-quality" tribute band just going through the motions.

I'm comfortable buying tickets to both current versions of Yes, and enjoying them equally.  Smiley
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #392 on: March 22, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »

Yes at The Brighton Centre last night, a celebration of 50 years. A most excellent display despite (as I said in my report from their 2016 tour) the ethics of "who's in the band and is it really Yes without so-and-so" ?catalogue, going way beyond being a "cd-quality" tribute band just going through the motions.

I'm comfortable buying tickets to both current versions of Yes, and enjoying them equally.  Smiley

Completely agree. I've seen both Yes and ARW - if you're a fan of the music it's a double treat to have two excellent bands out there playing that stuff.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #393 on: March 22, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »

Completely agree. I've seen both Yes and ARW - if you're a fan of the music it's a double treat to have two excellent bands out there playing that stuff.

I wonder how many lawyer hours are currently being spent discussing Union 2 contracts and performances?   Wink Smiley

Genuine question (with no axe to grind): which is better?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #394 on: March 22, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »

I wonder how many lawyer hours are currently being spent discussing Union 2 contracts and performances?   Wink Smiley

Genuine question (with no axe to grind): which is better?

ARW have the slight edge featuring as they do the "proper" lead singer and Wakeman the Caped Crusader of the keys, but on last night's showing it's a close thing. For many "old school" fans, Yes (official) will always be a tribute band with a surrogate lead singer, and there's not much that can be done to change their minds.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »

For many "old school" fans, Yes (official) will always be a tribute band with a surrogate lead singer, and there's not much that can be done to change their minds.

I've got a couple of friends who fit that description but they like Davison whilst they never got on with David.  One of my mates goes religiously to see all versions as often as possible and loves them both equally.  If ever a band needed whatever the musical equivalent is of 'family therapy' it's this one...  Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #396 on: March 23, 2018, 10:44:03 PM »

The Young ‘Uns performing The Ballad of Johnny Longstaff at Maldon Town Hall, Essex. An absolutely outstanding performance. Anyone with the slightest interest in history (most notably 1930’s Britain and the often forgotten Spanish Civil War in this case) should go and experience this amazing trio bring the story of Johnny Longstaff to life. It also features actual recordings and pictures of Johnny Longstaff himself.

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #397 on: March 24, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »

The Young ‘Uns performing The Ballad of Johnny Longstaff at Maldon Town Hall, Essex. An absolutely outstanding performance. Anyone with the slightest interest in history (most notably 1930’s Britain and the often forgotten Spanish Civil War in this case) should go and experience this amazing trio bring the story of Johnny Longstaff to life. It also features actual recordings and pictures of Johnny Longstaff himself.

I was there too! A fantastic evening!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »

Mike Silver Ascott U Wychwood. What a lovely evening of music, really interesting songs and fabulous guitar playing. One of those gigs where the warmth and enthusiasm of the crowd built up and in made for a really rewarding evening for both artist and audience.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #399 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »

Another lovely evening with Ange Hardy, this time at Readifolk.  Really can't recommend her highly enough to any who haven't seen her yet.  This was the first time I have seen her solo, and she was just as good.  Was close enough (front row in a smallish room) to see all she was doing with her feet and her loop pedals.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: