TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:35:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 819986 times)
Big Ade
Not the post card I expected

Loc: Dunblane, scotland

« Reply #2000 on: December 10, 2023, 06:21:10 PM »

Attended the second Hoolie In The Hydro in Glasgow last night. It was even better than last year. The line-up was Nati (Female singer with band), Trail West, Wolfstone, Manran and the last 40mins was a tribute to Runrig with Brian Hurron and Iain Bayne joining a terrific band performing some of RR's big numbers.  The music was mighty and the atmosphere somewhat lively with over 10,000 highlanders, islanders and Runrig fans from all over the UK and Europe in attendance.

Tickets for next year are already on sale.

There's nothing wrong with being normal, just don't be ordinary.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2001 on: December 11, 2023, 10:33:07 AM »

Some festive fun with Eliza Carthy & Jon Boden in Kendal on Thursday. Herself was struggling a bit with a sore throat and the smoke machine they had going didn't exactly help with that. Our seats were at the front and both MrsB and me were also not enjoying the smoke and had words with the staff during the interval. They moved us to the back but also kept the machine switched off for the second half.

But the music was excellent as was the between song banter with them both on melodeon or concertina for one song, mischievously thumbing their noses at their respective squeezebox players who they normally tour with. They ended with their cover of Fairytale of New York dedicated to Shane McGowan and Benjamin Zephaniah.

New fave Xmas song - "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #2002 on: December 11, 2023, 08:05:41 PM »

Well, Big Ade, I love Wolfstone, but had no idea that they were still going !! Was there any indication that this might be yet another new lease of life for them ?  Unfortunately even when they were active, they very rarely ventured south of the Border.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #2003 on: December 12, 2023, 10:49:49 AM »

I discoverd that Hippo song when Kate Rusby played it on her Covid live Christmas broadcast a few years ago, and then discovered she has it on an album too.  Very funny!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Big Ade
Not the post card I expected

Loc: Dunblane, scotland

« Reply #2004 on: December 15, 2023, 07:15:59 PM »

Well, Big Ade, I love Wolfstone, but had no idea that they were still going !! Was there any indication that this might be yet another new lease of life for them ?  Unfortunately even when they were active, they very rarely ventured south of the Border.

Stuart Eaglesham and Duncan Chisholm are the only original members with Stevie Saint (pipes) a long standing member. The rest are top musicians and have been listed as band members for a few years. They seem to play a few European festivals occasionally, are officially still active, just not not very often!

There's nothing wrong with being normal, just don't be ordinary.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #2005 on: December 16, 2023, 01:28:45 PM »

I discoverd that Hippo song when Kate Rusby played it on her Covid live Christmas broadcast a few years ago, and then discovered she has it on an album too.  Very funny!

I heard that way back when Artisan did their ‘stuff the turkey’ tour.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2006 on: December 18, 2023, 08:42:42 AM »

I attended the Simon Emmerson celebration gig at the Roundhouse on Friday - 3 bands with approx 45-50 mins each

First up: The Imagined Village, played a selection of their better-known songs; Eliza Carthy's throat was OK after all; band was on good form, dear Martin C looked a little frail, and got a bit lost on one song, but then gave us a fine solo "Hard Times of Old England" which segued into a full band version with Billy Bragg and the latest generation of Coppers - excellent!  And "Tam Lin Revisited" with the recorded voice of Benjamin Zephaniah was another emotional moment.

Next: Afro-Celt Sound System - starting with an unaccompanied intro of "Release" - then a storming set of mainly upbeat tunes - great stuff!

Closing the evening: Working Week - I was so disappointed, as although I wasn't familiar with much of their output, I'd made a point of listening to them in the preceding days - it sounded to me as if the keyboards were suffering from a technical problem (maybe voltages?) as they appeared to be slightly out of tune with the brass section.  I decided to bale out after 3 numbers - maybe things improved later, but I was already passing through Mornington Crescent...  

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2007 on: December 18, 2023, 09:03:27 AM »

The Unthanks Yuletide show (Matinee, 'cos I'm old) at the (fantastic) new Tung Auditorium (400 capacity - both shows sold out) at the Uni of Liverpool.  A similar kind of space to say the RNCM in Manchester.  At times this band are my favourite in the world.  They touch me in a way very few artists do.

This material will be revisited next year and the recorded version will also be out then.  Highly recommended.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2008 on: December 18, 2023, 12:01:45 PM »

The Unthanks Yuletide show (Matinee, 'cos I'm old) at the (fantastic) new Tung Auditorium (400 capacity - both shows sold out) at the Uni of Liverpool.  A similar kind of space to say the RNCM in Manchester.  At times this band are my favourite in the world.  They touch me in a way very few artists do.

This material will be revisited next year and the recorded version will also be out then.  Highly recommended.

The last concert we had booked to attend before lockdown was The Unthanks....it was cancelled and we haven’t managed to see them since...look forward to seeing them again sometime in the future, sounds wonderful, David.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2009 on: December 18, 2023, 04:19:15 PM »

Allman Brothers Family Revival, last night, at ACL Live!

This was a very impressive show, with wall-to-wall Allman Brothers classics expertly played by family, associates, and fans of the Allman Brothers Band. The bandleaders were Devon Allman (son of Gregg) and Duane Betts (son of Dickey), both gifted singers and guitarists who bear striking resemblance to their fathers.

I was not familiar with several of the participating guitarists and singers, but each shined in the spotlight. Bass was covered by the amazing Tal Wilkenfeld (who also sang "Ain't Wastin' Time No More), Jimmy Hall (Jeff Beck, Wet Willie) lent his thundering voice to "Statesboro Blues," "No One to Run With" and "Whipping Post" (which was preceded by a 5-minute bass solo by the virtuosic Ms. Wilkenfeld), new-to-me Larry McCray crushed "Dreams" and "Soulshine," and rising star Ally Venable nailed "I'm No Angel" on vocals and guitar. Alex and Wesley Orbison popped in as well. This was a delightful celebration of some of the best music to emerge from the American southeast. Two thumbs way up.

Australian Tour in March/April 2024 - highly recommend.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2010 on: January 19, 2024, 05:36:56 PM »

Sir David Suchet (the definitive Hercule Poirot) in conversation at the Everyman theatre in Cheltenham last night; witty, interesting, and included a "mini-masterclass" on performing Shakespeare (but also applicable to all other playwrights).

A most enjoyable evening - the first night of his run of shows - well worth catching if he appears near you...

(Didn't bother with buying a programme - and no tour t-shirts on sale!  Wink )

Flobbadob!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2011 on: January 21, 2024, 01:20:05 PM »

Martyn Joseph at The Acapela, Pentyrch, last night. A great show, with plenty of favourites and more recent songs. He has a penchant for the melancholy in a lot of his songs, so it came as no surprise when he remarked that an old Melody Maker review stated that he 'made Leonard Cohen sound like Julie Andrews!' Grin

Another revelation came when he was introducing his old favourite 'Cardiff Bay' - the young son with the 'tear stained face', that he mentions in the first verse, is now 34, with a son of his own. It comes to all of us....

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #2012 on: January 26, 2024, 04:26:30 PM »

Last night at Kings Place, Reg Meuross. Stolen from God. A folk song cycle about England and the Transatlantic Slave Trade. All songs brilliantly written and performed with Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyn on concertina and Suntou Susso on Kora.
It's touring around a few places and well worth seeing.

http://www.regmeuross.com/stolen-from-god/

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2013 on: January 26, 2024, 05:40:03 PM »

Last night at Kings Place, Reg Meuross. Stolen from God. A folk song cycle about England and the Transatlantic Slave Trade. All songs brilliantly written and performed with Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyn on concertina and Suntou Susso on Kora.
It's touring around a few places and well worth seeing.

http://www.regmeuross.com/stolen-from-god/

He played solo at a local venue a week ago. Great songwriting, excellent voice and engaging performer. Loved every minute.Worth seeking out.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2014 on: January 28, 2024, 02:48:00 PM »

Lankum.  Friday night at the Albert Hall in Manchester.  Absolutely storming gig.  The best band on the planet at the moment.  And, oh yes, £23.50.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2015 on: January 28, 2024, 04:18:21 PM »

Lankum.  Friday night at the Albert Hall in Manchester.  Absolutely storming gig.  The best band on the planet at the moment.  And, oh yes, £23.50.

So wish I'd have got tickets for this. It had sold out by the time I looked. Glad you enjoyed. Great band and a lovely venue.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2016 on: January 28, 2024, 05:10:09 PM »

So wish I'd have got tickets for this. It had sold out by the time I looked. Glad you enjoyed. Great band and a lovely venue.

It was immense.  Just what I needed.  I have to admit to having rather different thoughts about the Albert Hall, as atmospheric and historical venue that it is.  

I think they always oversell it there.  I'd love to know what the legal fire limit and if they do indeed stick to it then the law is an ass.  If something bad happened it would be an absolute death trap.  Took over 15 minutes to vacate from the balcony which has the most uncomfortable sitting I've ever sat on.  Seen some great gigs there - Joanna Newson, Ryan Adams, Mogwai, Agnes Obel this but have never much enjoyed the concert going experience there.

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2017 on: January 30, 2024, 10:51:26 AM »

This is the Kit supported by Dominie Hooper here in Lancaster on Sunday. First time I'd seen Kate Stables aka TITK and she didn't disappoint. Her bass player was Rozi Plain who records under her own name and got a big cheer from the crowd when Kate introduced her. And Dominie and her band played a good half hour set with herself playing cello on their final number.

It was at Kanteena which I've been to a few times and this gig must've been close to being sold out. Tickets were a very reasonable £16 and they had a low alcohol beer on tap which was quite drinkable. I was still recovering from a belated Burns Supper.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2018 on: January 30, 2024, 12:14:09 PM »

This is the Kit supported by Dominie Hooper here in Lancaster on Sunday. First time I'd seen Kate Stables aka TITK and she didn't disappoint. Her bass player was Rozi Plain who records under her own name and got a big cheer from the crowd when Kate introduced her. And Dominie and her band played a good half hour set with herself playing cello on their final number.

It was at Kanteena which I've been to a few times and this gig must've been close to being sold out. Tickets were a very reasonable £16 and they had a low alcohol beer on tap which was quite drinkable. I was still recovering from a belated Burns Supper.

A fave of the missus and I.  I've actually only just got around to hearing the last album.  They kind of all sound the same but I'm a big fan and she can do little wrong for us.  Rozi's great too.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2019 on: January 31, 2024, 06:25:02 PM »

Note to the handful of Doobie Brothers fans here -

Tom Johnston has returned following a multi-month layoff for back surgery and recovery. He was there at full strength Sunday night at the Moody Center, together with classic-era bandmates Pat Simmons, John McFee, and the evidently full-time returnee and yacht rock icon Michael McDonald.

A grand time was had by all. I'm looking forward to catching them again this summer as they launch another major tour with all four horsemen in the saddle.

After following this band for decades, I can't tell you how exciting it is to have multiple opportunities to see Tommy, Pat, John and Michael sharing the stage. It enables them to showcase tunes from every era of the band from 1970 to present. Great times!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: