TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:09:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 820841 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1700 on: September 23, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »

Jim Causley and Mark Norman last night at Holsworthy Library.

This is part of a tour they are doing, supporting libraries in Devon.  There were only maybe 25 or 30 of us there - but that pretty much filled the library! - and will hopefully have done some good to library funds.

They took it in turns, with Mark Norman (folklorist) sharing about both the history of folklore and song collectors in Devon, and then some of the folklore and stories, and Jim Causley singing 3 or 4 songs that tied in with each bit of what Mark had been sharing.  A thoroughly informative and entertaining evening.  Well worth looking at Jim's website to see where else they are doing it for any other Devonians here.

That sounds fabulous. Jim has such a great voice and a natural charm and wit to go with it. The album Forgotten Kingdom is a masterpice in my book.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1701 on: September 24, 2022, 09:59:04 AM »

Tubular Bells  50th Anniversary movie, at the cinema. I've put some remarks in the I'm Watching thread. If you have any liking at all for the album, this is worth seeing.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1702 on: September 25, 2022, 12:06:33 AM »

I'm at that Friars Aylesbury again, waiting for some more prog to start. This time, Marillion
 [...]
They have a lot more bongos on the stage than they used to have.

The extra bongos were due to guest percussionist, Luís Jardim.

Well, they came onstage and played the new album from start to finish, and the audience sang along with every word as if they'd known it for a decade. I'm glad I'd revised! And they finished with first single, Market Square Heroes (the Waterside Theatre being about 200 yards from where the song is set.) I enjoyed the whole lot of it, even if Steve Hogarth is quite clearly mad as badgers. There was always a lot of passion in Marillion's playing and songwriting. That has not changed, and all credit to them for having big hearts and a noisy, loyal, happy following.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1703 on: September 25, 2022, 03:27:46 PM »

Jim Causley and Mark Norman last night at Holsworthy Library.

This is part of a tour they are doing, supporting libraries in Devon.  There were only maybe 25 or 30 of us there - but that pretty much filled the library! - and will hopefully have done some good to library funds.

They took it in turns, with Mark Norman (folklorist) sharing about both the history of folklore and song collectors in Devon, and then some of the folklore and stories, and Jim Causley singing 3 or 4 songs that tied in with each bit of what Mark had been sharing.  A thoroughly informative and entertaining evening.  Well worth looking at Jim's website to see where else they are doing it for any other Devonians here.

That sounds fabulous. Jim has such a great voice and a natural charm and wit to go with it. The album Forgotten Kingdom is a masterpice in my book.

He does. We ran across him again yesterday at Belstone where a couple of Morris sides were dancing, and had ain interesting chat about Sabine Baring-Gould. I think he (Jim) lives very locally these days.  SB-G lived only about 10 miles away too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1704 on: October 04, 2022, 08:11:37 AM »

We saw ABBA voyage at the weekend. I was totally gobsmacked; the holograms on stage were indistinguishable from real people, and it was just like seeing the band c1979. The attention to detail was unbelievable (such as Bjorn fiddling with his guitar strap between songs), and the whole staging obviously cost a lot of money.  The live band gave it some welly, and of course the songs speak for themselves. What I love about ABBA is how they married such bleak lyrics to up-tempo toe-tappers. I’d forgotten that they also touched on prog/folk on songs such as Eagle.

I would heartily recommend to anyone, for the sheer spectacle alone!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1705 on: October 04, 2022, 11:29:45 AM »

Merry Hell at the Mine Is Yours Festival at the Lancashire Mining Museum (Astley Green Colliery) on Saturday just gone. Simon Swarbrick (nephew of...) was on fiddle, whilst Neil McCartney (recently departed fiddler) was in the crowd. Good gig, with lots of other stuff going on (music, theatre, poetry, childrens entertainers, beer tent). Even though it was free it did seem a bit sparsely attended, although I got there a bit late in the day just as the rain started.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1706 on: October 06, 2022, 01:06:39 PM »

Not a concert but the stage musical of Fisherman’s Friends in Milton Keynes. Didn’t really enjoy the recent film but this was great fun. Good songs well sung and played by musicians actively involved in the action, and a lot of fun. Almost as good as the real thing.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1707 on: October 07, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »

Ralph McTell last night.

Epic journey on public transport,  involving replacement bus services.  Turned out to be well worth it.  Reminded me that like Ralph, I'm getting older, as I saw him for the first time almost 50 years ago.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1708 on: October 09, 2022, 01:16:25 PM »

Caravan at Gloucester Guildhall last night.

Accomplished & tight. Lots of 'Grey & Pink' & 'Girls Who Grow Plump' material, but songs from the most recent record fitted in nicely.

There are more dates in England & Glasgow in October. Catch them if you can, they're well worth the effort.

Coincidentally, it was 12 months to the day since their last Guildhall appearance.   Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PJayBe

« Reply #1709 on: October 09, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »

So, what a  way to bring up Gig Fifty of the year.  Holmfirth Picturedrome and Leo Sayer.  Two nights before we saw the 72 year old Tom Robinson play a wonderful acoustic set.  Last night was the 74 year old Leo Sayer play about 100 minutes of classic hits.  With tracks from his early albums (1st 4 songs all 1975 or before), a stack from his "classic years" including a blues harmonica boosted version of When I Need You, through the so called "wilderness years", through the comeback years (a version of Thunder in My Heart that branched off in all directions) up to his newest release of a fully self performed album of Beatles covers.  All the singles were there (and sung along to mightily) alongside some album tracks that were received equally as well, before finishing off with 2 of the songs donated to Roger Daltrey for his debut solo album.  The closing Giving It All Away was breath taking (the hairs on the back of  my neck are standing up just remembering it).
Support from Rob Wheeler was excellent (I bought his stuff) but I had to ask him if the CDs featured drunken idiots talking throughout.  He assured me they didn't.  Sadly the same idiots talked through a chunk of Leo's set too.  A peril of standing gigs I suppose, I bet they behaved better at the Bridgewater Hall.....
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1710 on: October 09, 2022, 11:35:08 PM »

So, what a  way to bring up Gig Fifty of the year.  Holmfirth Picturedrome and Leo Sayer.  Two nights before we saw the 72 year old Tom Robinson play a wonderful acoustic set.  Last night was the 74 year old Leo Sayer play about 100 minutes of classic hits.  With tracks from his early albums (1st 4 songs all 1975 or before), a stack from his "classic years" including a blues harmonica boosted version of When I Need You, through the so called "wilderness years", through the comeback years (a version of Thunder in My Heart that branched off in all directions) up to his newest release of a fully self performed album of Beatles covers.  All the singles were there (and sung along to mightily) alongside some album tracks that were received equally as well, before finishing off with 2 of the songs donated to Roger Daltrey for his debut solo album.  The closing Giving It All Away was breath taking (the hairs on the back of  my neck are standing up just remembering it).
Support from Rob Wheeler was excellent (I bought his stuff) but I had to ask him if the CDs featured drunken idiots talking throughout.  He assured me they didn't.  Sadly the same idiots talked through a chunk of Leo's set too.  A peril of standing gigs I suppose, I bet they behaved better at the Bridgewater Hall.....

That sounds fab.

Leo's recent(ish) output has been really excellent. His last three studio albums of original material have been as as good as any twenty first century run by anyone, I reckon.

I don't desperately like The Beatles so I'm hoping the set isn't overloaded with tracks from Northern Songs but that apart, I'm really looking forward to Tuesday's gig in Bradford.

Rob Wheeler is a new name to me. I'll make sure I'm at the venue in time to catch his set, always assuming he's the support for the whole tour.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1711 on: October 10, 2022, 08:50:30 AM »

That sounds fab.

Leo's recent(ish) output has been really excellent. His last three studio albums of original material have been as as good as any twenty first century run by anyone, I reckon.

I don't desperately like The Beatles so I'm hoping the set isn't overloaded with tracks from Northern Songs but that apart, I'm really looking forward to Tuesday's gig in Bradford.

Rob Wheeler is a new name to me. I'll make sure I'm at the venue in time to catch his set, always assuming he's the support for the whole tour.

Today's just casually dropping a bomb and moving quickly on award goes to....  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1712 on: October 10, 2022, 12:03:35 PM »

On Saturday Night at what is becoming one of my favourite venues, More Music at Morecambe, I had the immence pleasure of seeing Lady Nade supported by Simeon Hammond Dallas. Simeon started the night with a brilliant set of her own soul, country-blues songs. She had a great energy, giving the songs power, but also a subtlety with acoustic guitar(played excelently), and a great vocal range which strayed away from unecessary vocal gymnastics favoured by so many these days, just giving the right level of emotion to her songs. I had listened to a couple of Simeon's songs on youtube and have to say I had gone with high expectations which were met.
Lady Nade I heard on Loose ends on Radio Four, was the headliner from first hearing her I bought straight into her music, she is given the Americana tag and has recieved awards for her music for that, but this singer songwriter from Bristol brings a whole range of styles and influences to the table, but the country style does run through all that I heard that night. A really relaxed performer who immediately engaged well with her audience, with a really rich vocal, with a lovely vibrato, and both high and low ranges being pitched perfectly in each song. Playing acoustic guitar on occasions herself, the band consisted of Lady Nade, Sean Snook on electric guitar, and Holly Carter on electric acoustic and lap steel, both Sean and Holly also providing backing vocals, producing a really full atmospheric sound. The majority of the set covered her current album Willing, with a few tracks harping back to earlier albums and a beautiful version of Sister Rosetta Tharpes my Journey to the sky. The set was filled with warmth, soothing melodies and which though occasionaly covering heartbreaking subjects, the feeling which was poured from the stage was a joy and real love of the music that was being shared. There was a good humour and was not navel gazing, but sharing stories, encouriging the audince to sing along a real great atmosphere. I have to say I went home with a bit of merchanidise from both artists and a feeling of joy from a great night of music and not the first time from this venue this year, having seen Robyn Hitchcock, and Ayanna Witter-Johnson earlier this year.
Next gig is Jenny Sturgeon at Grizebeck Community Hall which sounds promising being a audio visual project inspired by Nan Shepherd's The Living Mountain about human's connection with nature.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1713 on: October 10, 2022, 12:08:21 PM »

Next gig is Jenny Sturgeon at Grizebeck Community Hall which sounds promising being a audio visual project inspired by Nan Shepherd's The Living Mountain about human's connection with nature.

Thanks for posting that Brendan...I'd not heard of this but it sounds right up my street and she's doing it in Shap on the 5th Nov which is very tempting indeed...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1714 on: October 10, 2022, 07:32:52 PM »

Lovely summary, Brendan.  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1715 on: October 12, 2022, 06:23:49 PM »

The last UK night of the Uriah Heep 50th Anniversary Tour last night in a half-full St David's Hall, delayed 2 years due to the pandemic.

First half started with a montage of various bands and well-known rockers wishing the band a happy 50th anniversary. It got me thinking, it's a bit of an achievement to have done anything for 50 years these days. When I retire in just under 10 weeks I will only have managed 44 (47 if you count Saturday jobs) years in work, so 52 years rockin' all over the world (62 countries to be precise) is pretty amazing! Of course only Mick Box is an original member, but all kudos to him for perseverance.

The first half was an acoustic set of various ballads across the years, but the hugely energetic Bernie still managed to get us all on our feet to sing along. The second half started with a video of all the many members Heep has hosted over the years, then the backdrop fell back and the band emerged all guns blazing. Thoroughly enjoyable. Proper rock. Long may they continue   Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1716 on: October 12, 2022, 06:46:25 PM »

The last UK night of the Uriah Heep 50th Anniversary Tour last night in a half-full St David's Hall, delayed 2 years due to the pandemic.

First half started with a montage of various bands and well-known rockers wishing the band a happy 50th anniversary. It got me thinking, it's a bit of an achievement to have done anything for 50 years these days. When I retire in just under 10 weeks I will only have managed 44 (47 if you count Saturday jobs) years in work, so 52 years rockin' all over the world (62 countries to be precise) is pretty amazing! Of course only Mick Box is an original member, but all kudos to him for perseverance.

The first half was an acoustic set of various ballads across the years, but the hugely energetic Bernie still managed to get us all on our feet to sing along. The second half started with a video of all the many members Heep has hosted over the years, then the backdrop fell back and the band emerged all guns blazing. Thoroughly enjoyable. Proper rock. Long may they continue   Grin

Sounds like a tour worth catching!

Speaking of Heep, the two (relatively) recent Phil Lanzon solo records are worth a listen, if you haven't done so already.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1717 on: October 13, 2022, 10:43:16 AM »

Sounds like a tour worth catching!

Speaking of Heep, the two (relatively) recent Phil Lanzon solo records are worth a listen, if you haven't done so already.
I shall try and catch a listen today, thanks!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1718 on: October 13, 2022, 02:44:40 PM »

Roxy Music last night at the Manchester Enormodrome.  Byron Ferrari and the chaps led us through a  magnificent 105 minutes of wonderful music and musicians. Special mentions for the Great Paul Thompson and Phill Manzanera.  The 13 piece Roxy includes 3 keyboards, one of whom does the Eno parts and another doubles on saxamaphone with Andy Mackay, a percussionist, second guitarist who gets chances to shine, bass monster and 3 backing vocalists including the hardest working BV in showbusiness Fonzi Thornton.  Brown Furry doesn’t attempt the high notes any more but it doesn’t matter as the whole arena is singing along most of the time.   One small gripe was no Eddie Jobson sub, as in previous tours, to perform the violin solo on “Out of the blue” but Manzanera’s guitar solo was thrilling in its extended form.
  Given theirs and my own age I don’t expect to see them live again but it’s been a effin blast and I’m glad I didn’t listen to the bloke in the record shop in Chorlton-cum-hardy who sniffed and said “Poxy Music” in the summer of 1972 when I went to buy their first lp.  It “Blew my mind” then and they still did it last night.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1719 on: October 13, 2022, 02:48:03 PM »

Roxy Music last night at the Manchester Enormodrome.  Byron Ferrari and the chaps led us through a  magnificent 105 minutes of wonderful music and musicians. Special mentions for the Great Paul Thompson and Phill Manzanera.  The 13 piece Roxy includes 3 keyboards, one of whom does the Eno parts and another doubles on saxamaphone with Andy Mackay, a percussionist, second guitarist who gets chances to shine, bass monster and 3 backing vocalists including the hardest working BV in showbusiness Fonzi Thornton.  Brown Furry doesn’t attempt the high notes any more but it doesn’t matter as the whole arena is singing along most of the time.   One small gripe was no Eddie Jobson sub, as in previous tours, to perform the violin solo on “Out of the blue” but Manzanera’s guitar solo was thrilling in its extended form.
  Given theirs and my own age I don’t expect to see them live again but it’s been a effin blast and I’m glad I didn’t listen to the bloke in the record shop in Chorlton-cum-hardy who sniffed and said “Poxy Music” in the summer of 1972 when I went to buy their first lp.  It “Blew my mind” then and they still did it last night.

Excellent...chuffed for you, Jim Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: