TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:35:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 798949 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1080 on: April 27, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »

Mott The Hoople '74 - Shepherds Bush Empire (as i shall continue to call it) last night.

In their heyday Mott had a couple of reputations. One was that on their night they were the greatest rock n roll band in the world. The other was that equally they could be shambolic. It was somehow gratifying therefore to see the spirit of Mott truly preserved by displaying both of these facets at last night's show.

The tone was set when part of the stage lighting failed before the show even started. Then there was Ariel Bender (Luther Grosvener) who has clearly entirely lost his lead guitar chops but was covering it with a flamboyant larger than life stage persona and a pair of skin tight leopard skin strides that were frankly unbecoming on an elderly gentleman. Musically however it often flew. Sometimes it stumbled (mostly down to Bender's ham fisted soloing). Ian Hunter just gets more and more astonishing, on the cusp of turning 80 and singing, playing and moving better than he ever has.

This of course is not really Mott. It his Hunter's Rant band with three Hoople alumni grafted on but the music and spirit was all Hoople, with many highlights from Sucker to Walkin' With A Mountain to Marionette. It was mad, messy, unpredictable, uplifting, odd and utterly brilliant. And in all likelihood this tour will be the last time that any form of Mott will be seen on stage. I'm so glad I got to see it.

Pretty much how I would have described Birmingham. No comment about Benders shoes?! You just have to love him even though Mark would have played the solos much better but then it wouldn't have been Mott. He seems to have had the time of his life.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1081 on: April 28, 2019, 08:01:39 AM »

The shoes ? Primark.....

Luther explains all here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKEJZNDMD8

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1082 on: April 29, 2019, 11:35:54 AM »

The shoes ? Primark.....

Luther explains all here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKEJZNDMD8

Love it. I'd heard about the shoes on the Ian Hunter Appreciation Society page but great to see the rest.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1083 on: April 29, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »

Mott The Hoople '74 - Shepherds Bush Empire (as i shall continue to call it) last night.

In their heyday Mott had a couple of reputations. One was that on their night they were the greatest rock n roll band in the world. The other was that equally they could be shambolic. It was somehow gratifying therefore to see the spirit of Mott truly preserved by displaying both of these facets at last night's show.

The tone was set when part of the stage lighting failed before the show even started. Then there was Ariel Bender (Luther Grosvener) who has clearly entirely lost his lead guitar chops but was covering it with a flamboyant larger than life stage persona and a pair of skin tight leopard skin strides that were frankly unbecoming on an elderly gentleman. Musically however it often flew. Sometimes it stumbled (mostly down to Bender's ham fisted soloing). Ian Hunter just gets more and more astonishing, on the cusp of turning 80 and singing, playing and moving better than he ever has.

This of course is not really Mott. It his Hunter's Rant band with three Hoople alumni grafted on but the music and spirit was all Hoople, with many highlights from Sucker to Walkin' With A Mountain to Marionette. It was mad, messy, unpredictable, uplifting, odd and utterly brilliant. And in all likelihood this tour will be the last time that any form of Mott will be seen on stage. I'm so glad I got to see it.

Pretty much how I would have described Birmingham. No comment about Benders shoes?! You just have to love him even though Mark would have played the solos much better but then it wouldn't have been Mott. He seems to have had the time of his life.

I now gather that all of Ariel's pedals and effects failed on Friday so he was playing with a very dry sound throughout and his frustration was evident, hence the missing lead lines. He was mixed out for much of the time and the Rant band picked up the slack. Shame. I would like to have seen the show as it was meant to be but it was still a great night. I can't understand how there were so many technical cock ups on Friday, especially in London, when they had already been on the road playing multiple shows without problems for most of the preceding month. It seems like a bit of a schoolboy error that the crew would not have checked that the lights and sound were working before the band came on stage and could do nothing to fix it.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1084 on: April 29, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »

Good review Al.  I went to see Mott the Hoople about 5 years ago, on what was going to be their last tour. I decided to pass this time. I have good memories of them, and still enjoy their recordings a great deal. I think they were the first band I  ever went to see, way back when.  Cool
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1085 on: May 02, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »

Forgot to mention that Ian McNabb was utterly splendid in Worthing on Saturday night in a sweaty little club. It was an acoustic gig so it is not like there was much moving around but I can't remember the last time I have felt so hot at a gig. It was oppressive but Ian was terrific and kept me and others I suspect from bolting for the door for fresh air.

I note from a picture on his FB page that the venue for the following night's show in Portsmouth was rather more salubrious.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1086 on: May 03, 2019, 11:41:01 PM »

Well, that Nick Mason thing was rather good. Lots of rock and good humour. Yer man Gary acquitted himself very well, and it's always nice to hear a big loud gong.

And, pleasingly for me, the Bristol train was delayed 10 minutes so I've not had the hour's wait on Paddington station I was expecting.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1087 on: May 05, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »

Once in a while you go to a gig that you think might be 'fun', but actually it turns out to be one of the best most happy inducing things you've seen in a long time.  Blancmange last night at the Arts Club, Liverpool.  My other half was the 80's synth popper whilst I was watching Gillan and Spider.  She was very right and I was very wrong.  Their recent stuff is as good as their classic material and Neil Arthur is the most wonderful and lovely front man whilst also seemingly having the secret of eternal youth.  A life affirming good time gig.  Highly recommended.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #1088 on: May 06, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »

Well, that Nick Mason thing was rather good. Lots of rock and good humour. Yer man Gary acquitted himself very well, and it's always nice to hear a big loud gong.

And, pleasingly for me, the Bristol train was delayed 10 minutes so I've not had the hour's wait on Paddington station I was expecting.

Cheers

Nick

Saturday night at the Roundhouse was also “rather good”. The Saucers (or were the the Secrets) seemed to be having a good time. I don’t often do big gigs, but this was definitely worth making an exception for.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1089 on: May 06, 2019, 10:03:47 AM »

Went to the 3rd annual Blues at the Barns festival at Creeksea yesterday. Great day if a bit chilly (well  freezing if I’m honest...still it was practice for Cropredy!). Some great blues, folk and Americana was played. Artists included a couple of names some on this forum might know - David Hughes, Sunjay  (who was incredible) but also some brilliant songs and guitar work from artists such as Steve “West” Weston & his Blues Sonics (Steve Weston played on the Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey album “Going Back Home”); The Mike Ross Band; Kris Dollimore; Mike Harrison; and The Dust Bowl Sinners amongst others.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1090 on: May 06, 2019, 10:31:45 AM »

International Workers Day Festival in Alexandra Park, Ipswich. A couple of right ripsnorting younger bands - one of which casually dropped some King Crimson into their set - but notable principally for Aartwork, who combine treated vocals, six-string fretless bass, effects heavy fiddle and grooving drums into exactly the sort of thing that would swamp the field at about four o’clock on a Cropredy Saturday. Keep an eye out.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1091 on: May 06, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »

International Workers Day Festival in Alexandra Park, Ipswich. A couple of right ripsnorting younger bands - one of which casually dropped some King Crimson into their set - but notable principally for Aartwork, who combine treated vocals, six-string fretless bass, effects heavy fiddle and grooving drums into exactly the sort of thing that would swamp the field at about four o’clock on a Cropredy Saturday. Keep an eye out.

Cool.  Tell me more?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #1092 on: May 06, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »

Cool.  Tell me more?

Bless ‘em, bunch of teens playing 21st Century Schizoid Man. Fair brings a tear to the eye.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1093 on: May 06, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »

Cool.  Tell me more?

Bless ‘em, bunch of teens playing 21st Century Schizoid Man. Fair brings a tear to the eye.

Have a hanky.  Well?

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #1094 on: May 06, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »

Cool.  Tell me more?

Have a hanky.  Well?

Very creditably. The drummer needs to settle in to his style but he didn’t drag, or fill like a flail, which is quite often the way with the younglings. Singer had a great voice to go with her look. I suspect their music mentor may have had a hand in their set list choices since they finished with Led Zep’s Rock n’ Roll.

* IMG_1679.jpg (82.98 KB, 485x429 - viewed 626 times.)

Big Ade
Not the post card I expected

Loc: Dunblane, scotland

« Reply #1095 on: May 06, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »

Went to see Ian Prowse in Perth on Saturday. A friend plays fiddle with his band, Amsterdam, and she asked me to assist with Guitar Tech duties (very easy, no dramas except string changes). Not seen Ian before, but what an energy!  Fantastic night, great songs served up with total commitment and passion. He very kindly gave me his new CD, 'Here I Lie' which is a on repeat in the car.

He doesn't seem to pull much of a crowd in Scotland (the gig was in a relatively small music venue with about 80 punters) which is a real shame.

There's nothing wrong with being normal, just don't be ordinary.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1096 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »

Went to see Ian Prowse in Perth on Saturday. A friend plays fiddle with his band, Amsterdam, and she asked me to assist with Guitar Tech duties (very easy, no dramas except string changes). Not seen Ian before, but what an energy!  Fantastic night, great songs served up with total commitment and passion. He very kindly gave me his new CD, 'Here I Lie' which is a on repeat in the car.

He doesn't seem to pull much of a crowd in Scotland (the gig was in a relatively small music venue with about 80 punters) which is a real shame.

He's a force of nature isn't he? That size of crowd seems to be about normal for him these days outside of London and Liverpool. Certainly it has been when I have seen him at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth where he plays regularly as it is one of his favourite venues. I am off to see him at the 100 Club in London at the beginning of June.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1097 on: May 07, 2019, 09:31:23 AM »

Went to Dorchester(-on-Thames) yesterday for the first Folk Night as part of their Festival.  They had a great bill - Jackie Oates and Sam Kelly & The Lost Boys, and both played excellent sets.

Jackie doesn't play too regularly these days - largely due to having small children (she did make a comment about having only had about 15 mins sleep in the last 4 years, and that if she recorded her Lullabies album these days it would probably sound rather more irate!).  But she, and accompanist Mike Colgrave, were very good indeed, including a couple of songs I haven't heard before.

Sam and the Lost Boys (minus Ciaran Algar on this occasion - not sure if that is a permanent change, or just for this gig?   Toby Shaer filled in on fiddle) injected a lot of energy - those of you who saw them at Cropredy last year (they plugged the metal water bottles they were given and are still using!) will know what they are like - and left us all with big smiles on our faces.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1098 on: May 09, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »

Trish Clowes.  And it was free.   I knew I was going to a freebie but didn't know who it was till I got there.  She and her band were great, though I know jazz isn't greatly loved on these boards.

The turnout was terrible though.  Apparently only 40 something  tickets were sold. Perhaps her playing at the jazz fest at the same venue only a little while ago had something to do with it.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1099 on: May 09, 2019, 05:16:16 PM »

UK Subs last week. Charlie is about 75 I think, but still going strong. Played the first album (40 years old this year) in it's entirety. So that took care of 20 minutes.  Cheesy Three support bands (The Shelter from Uttoxeter were very good I thought), and then The Subs did about an hour. Good stuff, and Warhead is one of the great songs to see performed live.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: