TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 799068 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1060 on: April 17, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »

I liked Saving Grace, but as I said, it was very much a laid back performance. Moby Grape were indeed a fine band, but I didn't feel the need to applaud his recommendation.

As to the support band, Beez Kneez - Jeez Louise! Cheese.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1061 on: April 17, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »

I liked Saving Grace, but as I said, it was very much a laid back performance. Moby Grape were indeed a fine band, but I didn't feel the need to applaud his recommendation.

Which Moby Grape song did they cover?  (I heart Moby Grape!)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1062 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:08 PM »

It's a Beautiful Day Today

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1063 on: April 17, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »

My TAW comrades seem to disagree (elsewhere) but I thought Saving Grace (not Robert Plant) were superb last night in Carmarthen.  I kind of knew what to expect, so certainly wasn't left disappointed by the tone or the 'feel' of the gig.  Percy's voice is as is...very different from the past, but he sang last night in the same register he's been singing the rest of the shows, and although there was the hint of the end of a cold with the odd clearing of the throat, no harm down for me.  Equally, I actually thought the clarity of the sound out front was great, although the singers obviously had problems with their monitors, the correction of which led to a tiny bit of feedback at times.  There were some very quiet bits, and then very noisy guitars on the edge of feedback bits.  The sound guy had my sympathy if not everybody else's.

Suzy Dian is definitely one to watch for the future.  A lovely relaxed tone to her singing.  And, man, is she one worth watching...

Personally, I'd prefer these gigs in similar venues to those he played the Priory of Brion ones in...it needed a small club feel rather than a small theatre one.  But, hey, overall, Robert Plant singing Low and Moby Grape covers (both of which Percy bigged up to general indifference) along with some Appalachian gems?  More please....  I absolutely loved it.  The support were a bit unnecessary though.  Can't be doing with (even top quality) bar bands like that.  Sorry.

ps The only really depressing development was the man bun.  No excuses there, although I guess if you're 70 and you can, why not  Wink Smiley
Totally agree with you on the man bun David. His (2nd) best feature hidden away!

I enjoyed the support but I would have liked the keyboards a bit louder. Can't be easy to open for a rock God though...

Suzy Dian offers a total contrast to Percy - a definite Yin & Yan there! It works though, I thought the whole bands' voices blended beautifully and I loved the final number. I was hoping for a merch stall but I now understand there isn't a CD yet. I do hope there are plans for this - perfect laid-back music for warm summer evenings  Smiley

And on Mr Plant's recommendation I have checked out Moby Grape and find they are gloriously 60's and sound just like Marmalade. Which is a good thing Smiley

I literally spat out my tea at that one...  Grin
Glad to have been of assistance - the track I heard first sounded like Cousin Norman!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1064 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:25 PM »

It's a Beautiful Day Today

Now I have to go out and buy "Moby Grape '69!"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1065 on: April 17, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »

Every home should have one!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1066 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:52 PM »

Every home should have one!

It's not the usual opinion, but it's my favourite Grape album, mainly because Peter Lewis is my man, and his songs on it are outstanding.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1067 on: April 18, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »

I feel I should explain my "they sound like Marmalade" comment...

I'd heard of Moby Grape before Mr Plant's recommendation but none of their music, so I YouTube'd "full album" and a sort of Best of... came up. The first track on it is called "Hey Grandma" and, to my ears, it sounds like Cousin Norman by Marmalade. The jangly guitar is also a bit reminiscent of early FC in places. None of the other tracks sound remotely like Marmalade (who, incidentally, were the first Scottish band to top the UK charts!).

I'm now listening to Moby Grape '69 and enjoying it very much Smiley

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1068 on: April 18, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »

I really should get around to listening to the Grape.

I first heard of them in a sidebar feature that you get in music magazines about band names.
They were facing possible copyright infringement or something, from the family of Herman Melville and changed the name to Maby Grope.
Then I read an interview with Planty where he stated that they were the best band ever.
So I borrowed a copy of Vintage: The Very Best of Moby Grape from the library.
Unfortunately my dad died just then, so I couldn't face listening to it and associating it with that time, so I....naughtily....taped it.
That was twenty years ago.....

Blimey.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1069 on: April 18, 2019, 10:15:14 AM »

They were facing possible copyright infringement or something, from the family of Herman Melville and changed the name to Maby Grope.

Pretty sure that name change was down to the ex-manager owning the rights to the name.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1070 on: April 18, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »

Pretty sure that name change was down to the ex-manager owning the rights to the name.

Jules

Could be...I was about 11 when I read that, which is even longer than me borrowing the album. That particular brain cell must have gone On The Fritz.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1071 on: April 19, 2019, 05:21:46 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, Jesse H. Jones Hall, home of the Houston Symphony (!), yesterday, March 25, 2019.

Here is an excellent review from the local weekly: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/review-nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-jones-hall-houston-3-25-19-11264570

I am very, very glad I went.  Thanks to all who pushed me to make the drive, which was well worth it.

Roger Waters got up with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets band in New York:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=136&v=T9oVOIVoQYU

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1072 on: April 20, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, Jesse H. Jones Hall, home of the Houston Symphony (!), yesterday, March 25, 2019.

Here is an excellent review from the local weekly: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/review-nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-jones-hall-houston-3-25-19-11264570

I am very, very glad I went.  Thanks to all who pushed me to make the drive, which was well worth it.

Roger Waters got up with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets band in New York:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=136&v=T9oVOIVoQYU

Jules
What’s the chances of this happening at St David’s Hall in Cardiff on 29 April?  Cheesy

I can hope.....  Undecided

bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1073 on: April 22, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »

I never knew I'd see them once, let alone four times, but I saw (the Class Of '74) Mott last night.

Pretty much the same set list as last year - the with the added bonus of being able to hear Ariel Bender - it was fun, with the exception of watery eyes during Saturday Gigs, and another live run through of All The Way From Memphis before it, which made me grin like a buffoon.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1074 on: April 22, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »

Hawkwind yesterday at the Cheese and Grain in Frome - a free gig for 'passport holders' - only about 300 there so it was very very relaxed and enjoyable.  First time I've seen them in years (I have seen them once since the 40th Anniversary shows in 2009 but I can't think when tbh).  A lean mean line up of Dave Brock, Richard Chadwick, Niall Hone, Magnus Martin - I was mightily impressed.  A very 'hit' heavy hour and a half too.  Lots of good people around too.  And I even had a sneaky puff in the car park.  Just like the old days  Wink Grin

ps special shout out for Sonic Trip Project who were bloody marvellous.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1075 on: April 22, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »

I never knew I'd see them once, let alone four times, but I saw (the Class Of '74) Mott last night.

Pretty much the same set list as last year - the with the added bonus of being able to hear Ariel Bender - it was fun, with the exception of watery eyes during Saturday Gigs, and another live run through of All The Way From Memphis before it, which made me grin like a buffoon.

Off to see them on Friday. Can't wait.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1076 on: April 24, 2019, 12:17:51 AM »

A very pleasant evening's entertainment tonight with The Furrow Collective at Liverpool Phil (Music room) - such talented musicians, I do like Emily Portman especially, Chatted to her in the interval - unfortunately no new album from her in the near future
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1077 on: April 24, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »

Salt House at the Slaughtered Lamb.  I’ve been wanting to see this fine Scottish band ever since hearing their version of ‘Katie Cruel’ on their first album.  Well worth the wait.  The vocalist, in particular, is terrific.  Highly recommended.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1078 on: April 25, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »

Robin Trower, last night, ACL Live.

The crowd filled the lower level, about 900 seats, the small Mezz was 2/3 full and the balcony was sparsely populated. I think he sold about 1,200 out of 2,700 available tickets, which is not terrible for this venue on a Wednesday night in Austin.  From the stage, I'm sure all he could see was a sea of happy faces on the floor.

He put on a great show.  He followed his usual pattern - most of Bridge of Sighs plus "Daydream" (from Twice Removed From Yesterday) "For Earth Below" (from FEB), "Somebody Calling" (from my personal favorite, In City Dreams), nothing from Long Misty Days, Caravan to Midnight or Victims of the Fury, or his 80's/90's albums, and a bunch of songs from his latest album. I was particularly impressed by his current singer/bassist, whose name I can't find on the Internets.  The vocal mix was really good last night, so for the first time I was able to hear his powerful voice clearly.  He acquitted himself quite well on the numbers that James Dewar originally sang.

Robin himself sang most of the new songs, and it left me wondering why he didn't start singing in public a long time ago.  Altogether Fab.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1079 on: April 27, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »

Mott The Hoople '74 - Shepherds Bush Empire (as i shall continue to call it) last night.

In their heyday Mott had a couple of reputations. One was that on their night they were the greatest rock n roll band in the world. The other was that equally they could be shambolic. It was somehow gratifying therefore to see the spirit of Mott truly preserved by displaying both of these facets at last night's show.

The tone was set when part of the stage lighting failed before the show even started. Then there was Ariel Bender (Luther Grosvener) who has clearly entirely lost his lead guitar chops but was covering it with a flamboyant larger than life stage persona and a pair of skin tight leopard skin strides that were frankly unbecoming on an elderly gentleman. Musically however it often flew. Sometimes it stumbled (mostly down to Bender's ham fisted soloing). Ian Hunter just gets more and more astonishing, on the cusp of turning 80 and singing, playing and moving better than he ever has.

This of course is not really Mott. It his Hunter's Rant band with three Hoople alumni grafted on but the music and spirit was all Hoople, with many highlights from Sucker to Walkin' With A Mountain to Marionette. It was mad, messy, unpredictable, uplifting, odd and utterly brilliant. And in all likelihood this tour will be the last time that any form of Mott will be seen on stage. I'm so glad I got to see it.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: