TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:14:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803483 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »

Not free, but just Eur6 a ticket - Julie Fowlis & Band in Seville. Nice break, Easyjet, decent hotel & ticket for well less than £100

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2017, 11:26:03 PM »

Just back from seeing The Spooky Men's Chorale at St David's Hall in Cardiff. Fantastic night's entertainment - both funny and musical. And as a bonus I managed to make it back to my car before the Millennium Stadium emptied - thus missing the stampede of Coldplay fans.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »

Coldplay at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff Tuesday. Torrential rain did not dampen the spirits as Mike and I joined 70,000 happy people to watch, listen and just generally be awed by the sheer spectacle of the band.
I've always been a Coldplay fan but up to now my live viewing has been restricted to Glastonbury highlights on BBC4.
What a concert! Everyone was given wristbands with multi coloured LEDs which flashed and pulsed in time to the music - everyone's was yellow (of course!) for Yellow, but we had at times a stadium filled with green, red, blue, even rainbow colours and flashing disco lights. Stunning!
They played everything I wanted them to including a few off the new album. Despite the number of people there, they were anything but distant, with a long walkway going well over half way down the pitch, and a smaller stage further on from that, that they sprinted to between the crowds to do a few numbers. Someone threw a Welsh flag at Chris early on and he tucked it into his jeans pocket for the rest of the gig. The last time they played Cardiff was 17 years earlier at Clwb Ivor Bach, a tiny but thriving music venue for up-and-coming bands. Times have changed!
 They ended with the Welsh National anthem sung by 2 members of a local choir (on the Wednesday Rob Bryden came on the sing it!). A brilliant night  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2017, 06:59:05 AM »

A fun day out at Folk by the Oak on Sunday.  The event has just celebrated its 10th anniversary and was a sell-out, so it’s obviously still going from strength to strength.  The stand-out acts for me were This is the Kit (I’d never heard of them before, but they were superb) and Hannah Sanders and Ben Savage.  Show of Hands and Eric Bibb were excellent, as always.  The Cinnamon Travelling Café still does the best festival grub around, even if it operates at the pace of a geriatric snail.  My only gripe is that the volume in the Acorn Tent was too low.  Some of the quieter acts were barely audible above the general chatter in and around the tent.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »

Wasn't it a great day yet again? And no rain *again* to speak of - that's a decade of dry festivals I think?

Show of Hands were superb, I thought, one of their best gigs I've witnessed, for sure.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2017, 04:47:57 PM »

A fun day out at Folk by the Oak on Sunday.  The event has just celebrated its 10th anniversary and was a sell-out, so it’s obviously still going from strength to strength.  The stand-out acts for me were This is the Kit (I’d never heard of them before, but they were superb) and Hannah Sanders and Ben Savage.  Show of Hands and Eric Bibb were excellent, as always.  The Cinnamon Travelling Café still does the best festival grub around, even if it operates at the pace of a geriatric snail.  My only gripe is that the volume in the Acorn Tent was too low.  Some of the quieter acts were barely audible above the general chatter in and around the tent.

Jump straight in.  I don't reckon Kate has ever written a bad song.  Every album a corker....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:44 AM »

Stanley Clarke Band at the Fleece in Bristol... tremendous solo and ensemble playing, SC on Alembic bass guitar at first for some funky fusion, then on the woodworms' Hilton for a much jazzier section.

Only one gripe - I'm all for equality among band members, but FOUR drum solos? Great technique, but just too much! Even a drummer stood near me agreed...

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »

Stanley Clarke Band at the Fleece in Bristol... tremendous solo and ensemble playing, SC on Alembic bass guitar at first for some funky fusion, then on the woodworms' Hilton for a much jazzier section.

Only one gripe - I'm all for equality among band members, but FOUR drum solos? Great technique, but just too much! Even a drummer stood near me agreed...

Cat, its jazz, dig?
be cool

The Dude abides
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »

Mmmmmmm, nice...

Flobbadob!
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »

To sit in a Village hall in Bardsea and get to watch Shelagh Mcdonald sing and play the guitar with five other people was an sublime experience. The set was mainly Trad Arr Mcdonald, but the vocal is still there and the guitar playing sounds great. She also sang three "Duets" with Nigel H Seymour, one of which I enjoyed, the others were ok. As I didn't really know his stuff and he trod the well worn path to MOR I found his set went on a little too long, but his vocals were very good and he is clearly an accomplished guitarist. If performing with Nigel is what brings Shelagh back from the wastelands, all's good, but at times I felt like I was intruding on a bizarre therapy session. They both are clearly fragile but not getting to see Shelagh the first time round I will definitely look out for her again (and buy the re-released cd's) and will definitely travel further than 10 minutes to see her.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:39:49 AM by Brendan » Logged

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
JohnP69

« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »

Brian Wilson at Sheffield City Hall last night (Wednesday 2nd)

First half kicked off with "California Girls" and was peppered with a mixture of singles and album tracks.

Second half was "Pet Sounds" in it's entirety and the encore was hits,hits and more hits.

Great show but I can't have been the only one to have been moved at how frail Brian seems now.

I really think this tour could be his last.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »

First half kicked off with "California Girls" and was peppered with a mixture of singles and album tracks.

Second half was "Pet Sounds" in it's entirety and the encore was hits,hits and more hits.

Great show but I can't have been the only one to have been moved at how frail Brian seems now.

My friend went and said it was expensive and embarrassing?
JohnP69

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2017, 06:15:23 AM »

My friend went and said it was expensive and embarrassing?

Each to his own I suppose.

I enjoyed it
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »

The briefest of visits to to Broadstairs' lovely Folk Week on Tuesday afternoon to catch Clive Gregson & Liz Simcock's performance and very good it was too. They are playing some old Gregson & Collister material and I expected it to rekindle memories of the many mesmerising shows I attended by the latter pair 20 and more years ago.

It didn't really but only because Liz is a very different personality with a very different voice to Christine so this show was very much its own thing rather than an attempt to recapture the past so, when they played their own new material it was great. When they played the G&C songs on which Clive sang lead it was great. When they played the G&C material on which Christine sang lead, Liz quite rightly gave them her own inflections and stamped her own personality on them, which was a little jarring when you have been listening to the originals for decades so it took a bit of getting used to but was none the worse for that.

Hopefully the festival will have a stronger overall line up next year as I would like to spend a few days there, though I see that Peggy, PJ & Gerry had a swift turn around from Cropredy as they were there on Monday night with the Dylan Project.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »

The Music of the ISB at Edinburgh Festival - most of the usual suspects, and a very good night it was.

Back for 'Bert Inspired' repeat of London/Celtic Connections on Monday, but Folk East in between.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

The Music of the ISB at Edinburgh Festival - most of the usual suspects, and a very good night it was.

Back for 'Bert Inspired' repeat of London/Celtic Connections on Monday, but Folk East in between.

And Rose!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »

Except Robin I expect. He doesn't seem to get involved in these things. I still enjoy his solo gigs, all the same.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »

Except Robin I expect. He doesn't seem to get involved in these things. I still enjoy his solo gigs, all the same.

Entirely by his own choice, Alan.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »

Entirely by his own choice, Alan.

Oh I'm sure.    I wasn't indicating anything else.  Cool
sirspens (John)

« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »

Hi all- I put this short review up on Fairporters on Facebook with a pic and couple of short snippets, but I know lots of people don't like, use, or trust (delete as applicable) FB so I copy the text here:

Dan Ar Braz at Chatellerault 17 August..  I understand Dan was one of the former FC members absent at Cropredy this year due to other commitments. Just after I moved to France he headlined the nearby Festival de Confolens, but I was ill and missed the show.I never got another chance to see him until last night- he was the penultimate act this year in the annual series of free summer outdoor concerts put on by the Departement of the Vienne (86). So off I went to the tiny village of Saint Sauveur (population around 900) near Chattelerault. These concerts can be small, this was big, several thousands in the audience, He's obviously a Big Thing over here. A professional stage, great sound, a light show, usually in the middle of a field, bars and food stalls, free entrance and free parking,what's not to like? So, on he comes with a red guitar and an impeccable six piece band- second guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, uilleann piper/flautist and a Breton bagpiper. He's short, slender, sticky out ears, bald, with glasses, but SO enthusiastic for all stuff Celtic- indeed, the long preamble explaining the legends or genesis of the tunes and songs sometimes went on a bit  BUT, he proved what a great guitar player and band leader  he still is. Much of the repertoire was from his "Heritage des Celtes" album- "King of Laois" was the standout, though there wasn't a single duff performance in the nearly 2 hour nonstop show.Another high point was "Anne de Bretagne", whilst a couple of the performances laden with flute accompaniment would not go amiss in a Tull show circa 1977 "Songs from the Wood". He even got approval from the 99.9% French crowd for 5 songs in English and they even sang the refrain on "Look around you" in a kind of franglais accent.. Bizarrely, they handed out ear plugs at the start of the show, taken up by much of the audience- it could have been even louder for me, and it was real folk/rock/Celtic music at it's best.  .... see him if you can
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: