TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:59:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show of Hands  (Read 37667 times)
Nick Peake

Loc: Leigh, Lancashire

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

A superb set from masters of their craft.  They didn't disappoint one little bit, and yes, they should be headliners!

Show of Hands Danube cruiser!!!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »

Quality, quality, quality a really excellent performance

Born to Run (but not very fast)
richardkendell

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »

Pretty much the same set (including ad libs) as Folk By The Oak. I thoroughly enjoyed them,again.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »

They have never, ever failed for me, this was no exception.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »

Show of Hands are certainly on fire at the moment. They were great at Wickham, and they were great at Cropredy. Steve seems to have mellowed with age a bit. Phil is getting a well deserved time at the front now, and Miranda goes from strength to strength. Particularly with her singing. I had tears in my eyes for The Keeper, partly because of the WW1 subject matter, but secondly because Miranda's backing vocals were so beautiful, contrasting with the subject matter of the song.

Paul

David Bean

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »

Pure class.
stvernon (simon)

Loc: Cheshire

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »

One of the highlights of the Festival for me. I've seen them six or seven times, firstly as a duo, but last few times, with Miranda on double bass.  I wouldnt want to see them now,  without her, the bass adds so much to their sound
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »

Best rendition of Cousin Jack I have ever heard,

perhaps because the backing singers numbered thousands.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »

Disappointed to have missed them but I was bopping to a Ska band at the Red Lion  Cool

Hope to catch them live soon  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »

Ive seen Show of Hands loads of times . This set was the best set I have ever seen them do . Steve Knightly had dropped some of his political rantings it seemed to me ? Or am I wrong ---anyway --very surprised to have really enjoyed them this time out . "Roots" lyrics get me very emotional every time . I feel very strongly about that songs lesson . Great stuff .

You are what you eat !!!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »

Ive seen Show of Hands loads of times . This set was the best set I have ever seen them do . Steve Knightly had dropped some of his political rantings it seemed to me ? Or am I wrong ---anyway --very surprised to have really enjoyed them this time out . "Roots" lyrics get me very emotional every time . I feel very strongly about that songs lesson . Great stuff .

Im not a SoH afficinado but i thought there was plenty of politics in the announcements and music, I loved them.

The Dude abides
Paula Tindall

Loc: Northants

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »

Absolutely wonderful. Didn't want them to leave!
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »

Possible rant warning...

Have been a fan of the band for many years, seen them live half a dozen times including the Albert Hall, got most of the albums. The set this year was well played - Phil and Miranda were truly excellent - and Steve did what Steve does. But.

It's taken a few years to get to this point, and maybe I was blinded by the music, though someone formerly of this board did say a similar thing to me a few years ago, to wit: why does Steve have to be so earnest all the time? I met him once, he was grumpy. Maybe a one-off, though someone who until recently worked closely with him said he was intense pretty much constantly, a total contrast to Phil.

And I could forgive that if it wasn't for the earnestness. I don't mean, anger or protest - we need protest songs, and Country Life is a genuine classic (maybe not so much Roots - what's wrong with rap? And Cromarty isn't in England) - but the heart-on-sleeve, "you're staying till the end while I frown" sense of things. There are other ways to make a point, there really are.

To make a direct comparison with Divine Comedy, who were on the same evening, SoH's song AIG (or Cutthroats, Crooks and Conmen, basically the same song) made a point, very seriously, and then I forgot. I had never heard DC's Complete Banker before, and it's still going round in my head - comedy, satire, self-deprecation and a nice tune. Then there was the confessional, No Secrets which I just couldn't sing along to, because relationships aren't black and white like that; compare with DC's Something In The Woodshed and you see something dramatic, funny and dark at the same time.

I would really like to be able to enjoy Show of Hands again, but Steve's songs need to change. There is joy, there is love, there is drama, there is shock, there is sadness, there is purpose and rage. So much to bring to the fore with a little effort.

Oh, and they didn't play The Dive, nuff said  Wink

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »

I liked the new "No Secrets" song.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 05:07:48 PM »

Possible rant warning...

Have been a fan of the band for many years, seen them live half a dozen times including the Albert Hall, got most of the albums. The set this year was well played - Phil and Miranda were truly excellent - and Steve did what Steve does. But.

It's taken a few years to get to this point, and maybe I was blinded by the music, though someone formerly of this board did say a similar thing to me a few years ago, to wit: why does Steve have to be so earnest all the time? I met him once, he was grumpy. Maybe a one-off, though someone who until recently worked closely with him said he was intense pretty much constantly, a total contrast to Phil.

And I could forgive that if it wasn't for the earnestness. I don't mean, anger or protest - we need protest songs, and Country Life is a genuine classic (maybe not so much Roots - what's wrong with rap? And Cromarty isn't in England) - but the heart-on-sleeve, "you're staying till the end while I frown" sense of things. There are other ways to make a point, there really are.

To make a direct comparison with Divine Comedy, who were on the same evening, SoH's song AIG (or Cutthroats, Crooks and Conmen, basically the same song) made a point, very seriously, and then I forgot. I had never heard DC's Complete Banker before, and it's still going round in my head - comedy, satire, self-deprecation and a nice tune. Then there was the confessional, No Secrets which I just couldn't sing along to, because relationships aren't black and white like that; compare with DC's Something In The Woodshed and you see something dramatic, funny and dark at the same time.

I would really like to be able to enjoy Show of Hands again, but Steve's songs need to change. There is joy, there is love, there is drama, there is shock, there is sadness, there is purpose and rage. So much to bring to the fore with a little effort.

Interesting! Steve is definitely more laid back on his solo tours, and was positively jovial when I saw him at the behind the castle festival a couple of years ago. Did anyone notice his wry smile on the "everyone stares at a great big screen" line during Roots (whilst looking at said big screen?). Maybe the contrast with Phil is what makes them so good.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »

Possible rant warning...

I totally agree...with your last comment

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »

Keith clearly knows a different Steve Knightley to the one I know.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:11 PM »

Keith clearly knows a different Steve Knightley to the one I know.

Sadly, I can't go into any more details, for obvious reasons.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 10:20:54 PM »

Steve is very intense, but I think this is because he cares. You do have Phil to provide a balance.

This was demonstrated very aptly at Wickham a few years ago. The main stage at Wickham is under a big circus top. Steve comes on, and starts a very earnest description of what they are going to play. Phil comes on, and with a big grin says "Where are the elephants?"

Paul

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2017, 12:25:26 AM »

I like SK, he is intense, not sure he is grumpy though. He makes me laugh, the music is great and his heart is absolutely in the right place so carry on. Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: