TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:38:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Trevor Horn Band  (Read 42650 times)
Peter H

Loc: Chelmsford, Essex

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »

An unexpected pleasure. We really enjoyed this
flossiefiddler

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

Hit after hit after hit, just as I thought it would be. Loved them, a real crowd pleaser.
Fegg

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »

Yes, this was a covers band, but it was their own material and they were superb.

Not wishing to open up a debate about what defines a covers band (as life is too short and I'm probably missing something obvious anyway), but if it's their own material...

However, we too thought they were superb and enjoyed the set immensely. Definitely one of the highlights.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »

Yes, this was a covers band, but it was their own material and they were superb.

Not wishing to open up a debate about what defines a covers band (as life is too short and I'm probably missing something obvious anyway), but if it's their own material...

However, we too thought they were superb and enjoyed the set immensely. Definitely one of the highlights.
Kiss From a Rose was not sung by Seal. Holly Johnson was not on stage to sing Relax or Two Tribes, Jon Anderson did not sing Owner Of A Lonely Heart.  Some original artists, but not all. That's what I meant.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »

Should've headlined Thursday! Brilliant set like a Top of the Pops of the last 30 or so years. The genius that is Russ Ballard was the icing on the top (of the Creme Horn  Grin )

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Nick Peake

Loc: Leigh, Lancashire

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »

Fantastic set - hit music brilliantly re-created live.  Definitely should have been put above The Divine Comedy - what a finish to the night that would have been ... Relax! Wow!

Show of Hands Danube cruiser!!!
Danny_C

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »

Firstly I am going to say I enjoyed the set and in general felt it was well presented and competently performed.  However it was simply a rehash of some of the huge number of hits that he has been involved with, most of which he did not perform in as far as I am aware.

Given his involvement this was clearly not a covers band bashing out standards, but it could have been and would have been just as interesting to listen to.  The only thing that lifted this was the physical presence of Trevor Horn himself which added a modicum of originality to the set.

For many (most likely the majority) he would have made a better headliner for the night, however I was happy to listen to him from the back and sing along with the odd bit and go down to listen to DC as a proper band performing their own numbers (and yes I know the line-up is not the same as it was)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »

I saw them at Wickham last year, and knew what to expect. Great fun as a band. Not seen Russ Ballard with them before, and he was great. I do think the present incarnation of 10cc does Rubber Bullets better, as Lol Creme's top notes sounded slightly rough, but everything they did was pretty good. Matt Cardle was the same guest as the previous time, and he sings well.

Like many posters, I felt they should have been on last.

Paul

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »

To be fair, Lol Creme didn't sing much on the 10CC numbers, the main vocalist for those was Jamie Squire.

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »

All sorts of pleasures to be had, from the obvious ones, like Two Tribes and Video Killed... Felt a little embarrassed singing Relax at the top of my voice when I spotted a small boy on someone's shoulder's next to me, not so with Living In The Plastic Age, which I can safely say I was the only person singing along to every word (used to collect Buggles singles as a teenager). The Russ Ballard guesting was inspirational, and doesn't he still sing well (with Jamie's help); Matt Cardle stormed it on The Power of Love and especially Owner of a Lonely Heart; Jamie was stunning singing Cry.

Couple of gripes - one female singer was flat (not sure which as they sung together) and the 10CC songs were a bit weak - but otherwise a great fun set with something for everyone.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 04:15:21 PM »

It has to be said that the current 10CC did a better job of both Rubber Bullets and I'm Not In Love when they played in 2013, with the only original member being Graham Gouldman. Also, I'm not sure Cry lends itself to a live performance, given the massive overdubs on the original.

Still had a great time with the Trevor Horn Band, though.

spooley (Simon)

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »

I really enjoyed Cry - never expected to hear that song live and I thought Jamie Squire's vocal really did it justice.
(My shaky / poorly-composed video of most of it, with reasonable sound 'though, is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI5_jI_HAKs&t=2s)

I've seen Graham Gouldman's 10cc several times in recent years, splendidly enjoyable but I think I preferred Trevor Horn's I'm Not in Love ... the TH band version seemed to have less reliance on a backing track.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »

My favourite band of the weekend  Smiley

Funny, when they were first announced I checked them out and saw that Russ Ballard (a hero of mine) sometimes plays with them, and posted on TAW how amazing it would be if he turned up and to have the crowd singing along to God Gave Rock'n'Roll to You. Hendo responded that he couldn't think of anything worse!!

Anyway - fast forward and there I was, at Cropredy, singing along to it  Cheesy fan-bloody-tastic.

Lol Crème was a bit squeaky, but Jamie Squires was brilliant, Matt Cardle amazed me, had no idea he could sing so well, and they whole set was great. I was quite happy that they didn't headline as it meant we could go back to the tent and watch the shooting stars.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 12:10:23 AM »

My favourite band of the weekend  Smiley

Funny, when they were first announced I checked them out and saw that Russ Ballard (a hero of mine) sometimes plays with them, and posted on TAW how amazing it would be if he turned up and to have the crowd singing along to God Gave Rock'n'Roll to You. Hendo responded that he couldn't think of anything worse!!

Anyway - fast forward and there I was, at Cropredy, singing along to it  Cheesy fan-bloody-tastic.

Lol Crème was a bit squeaky, but Jamie Squires was brilliant, Matt Cardle amazed me, had no idea he could sing so well, and they whole set was great. I was quite happy that they didn't headline as it meant we could go back to the tent and watch the shooting stars.

I did! Sorry. Just didn't want a covers band sing along thing!
Having said that we played a fest on the Sat night and the headliners were a very poor covers band doing much the same material!
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 12:31:05 AM »

I thought Jamie Squire had a great voice, I liked most of the songs he sang. Matt Cardle I thought destroyed Power Of Love, would have been better if JS had sung it. Overall I thought they were reasonably entertaining.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »

The only track I've listened to is Owner of a Lonely Heart.  The singer is competent, but nothing more.  There's no subtlety - either musically or vocally...no light and shade.  They sound like a loud, brash wedding reception covers band to me.  There's a time and a place for this, of course.  In a world of covers bands, the ex-talent show wannabe is King.  Louder, faster, 'better'.  Look at me, it screams... Just right for 2017.

Update: Actually, I have listened to Rubber Bullets over breakfast, which is much better (imho).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

the ex-talent show wannabe is King.  

Love and Pride? They would get my vote!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »

Wear your Docs, mind.. Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »

Wear your Docs, mind.. Grin
That's going to earwig me for the rest of the day  Grin

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »

Lol....I love Love And Pride...but I will forever onwards hear the band shout 'Wear your docs, mind', instead of 'Get your boots on.'

I did enjoy this set a lot, and even Matt Cardle, (more his X Factor thing rather than him) didn't ruin it. I'd side with the it's a covers band though, as a lot of the stuff was records they produced, (the original band name was The Producers), rather than wrote - and if Trevor had a writing credit, it's along with a zillion other people, suggesting that the song was brought in by the band and he suggested a tweak in his producer role - so it's a bit like the Alan Parsons Project doing Dark Side Of The Moon. No biggie though. It was good to hear Cry. Good fun.

Useless trivia: Both Trevor Horn and Trevor Rabin who were involved in Owner Of A Lonely Heart, have the middle name Charles.  

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: