TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:12:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pierce Brothers  (Read 32311 times)
Fegg

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 11:08:04 PM »

Last year, most of us saw them by chance and it was a spontaneous success. This year, many went out of their way to see them and it was an indisputable success. Whatever they go on to achieve, I think they will always have an affinity with those on the Cropredy field.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »

It's just possible that the random appearance last year at Cropredy is their springboard and only a festival that diverse could do that.

On the subject of the Piece Brothers:

I was walking back from their set and past Richard Thompson. Somebody next to me shouted to him (in an Australian accent) "No pressure mate"  Grin
It's possible RT smiled.

Also Daughter of Yabb. You are too old to be joining CD signing queues for young boys.

[attachment deleted by admin]

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Tony Smith

Loc: Oxton, Wirral

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 11:23:37 PM »

Had a real good "feel good factor " during their set

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)
flossiefiddler

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »

Really enjoyed them last year. I think it was their total naivety and the fact that they were so overwhelmed by the response of the crowd. It was very endearing.

I was surprised to see them rebooked though for a consecutive year. Has that ever happened before? My feeling was that what I witnessed last year couldn't be recreated and I was right. Yes, they had loads of energy, and clearly the majority of the people around me were loving it, but I found that every song sounded the same with that driving stomp box bass beat, followed by a stop for a quiet bit of the song, then more driving bass beat started to annoy me after a while.

Two of my friends went down the front for a dance - I went for a pee, and when I returned the two husbands were sitting next to each other looking exactly like Waldorf and Statler! Hilarious
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »

Great live act and successfully repeated last year but I warn anybody thinking of buying their recorded material as the enthusiasm etc does not seem to transfer to the studio records IMO.

And how many times did they say thank you?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Nick Peake

Loc: Leigh, Lancashire

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »

Great. Full of energy and enthusiasm - but over-hyped.  Musically ... limited appeal to me.

Show of Hands Danube cruiser!!!
Danny_C

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »

I, like some others, don’t really get them.  Yes they play well enough but the music is somewhat one dimensional and all the numbers do seem to blur into a single entity.

However what they have in spades is energy and demonstrate shear enjoyment about being at Croperdy.  To be fair to them most of the crowd do “get” them and it was one of the few times I have seen almost all the crowd on their feet, even the old miserable ones at the back such as I.  However they are not headline material despite what some of the tweets stated!
DagJakobsen
n3wb

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »

Couldn't really get it, sorry!
Energy, yes. My mains sockets also have energy but I wouldn't watch them for an hour. Same song 20 times and a lot of posing, making their hair?!?
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »

"They are not headline material despite what some of the tweets stated!"
But I think that's the point really. No they're maybe not amazing on record (whatever the medium); and maybe not headline material. But what they are is perfect life-affirming mid-afternoon cropredy feelgood stuff to the nth degree.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
T2k (Tracy)
all sorts of giggling and jiggling

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »

You mean its wasn't an hour long advertisement for Australian shampoo by that guy from Game of Thrones?
 Wink

Very enjoyable set, upbeat and fun. Completely forgettable music (sorry lads) as there was no hook but they were superb entertainment. Thank you.
iandiddams

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »

However they are not headline material despite what some of the tweets stated!

I'd agree with that, and also that their saving grace is their energy, and that they are somewhat "samey".

But whilst they aren't headliners they'd have been better off swapping their slot with Petula Clark who killed the vibe on the field after them and was a snoozefest.

didds
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »

After last year I was really looking forward to seeing these lads again and I wasn't disappointed in any way.

Their enthusiasm and energy transferred to my legs and I just had to go down the front (could only manage twice this year),
I stood and absorbed their set completely.

It wasn't just the music (which may have been as others have said, it was the whole vibe of their performance.
Their love for their sister and her cancer treatment came across very powerfully, as did other family references.

For me they are the real deal and by far outclassed at least a third of the acts this weekend.
I would love to see them here again!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
NeilB

Loc: Hampshire - and Lancashire

All my own hair and teeth - what's left of them

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »

I was walking back from their set and past Richard Thompson.

Really? I say, that's a bit untoward.

Edit: Sorry what? (Admins cast no shadow)

Who knows where the beer goes
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 10:35:12 PM »

Enjoyed them again, but wouldn't want to buy a CD. I think it is their infectious enthusiasm. Their comment about raising money for their sister's operation really brought home how precious the NHS is though.

Paul

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 02:48:34 AM »

My sole purpose of going to Cropredy is to enjoy myself. It's a little bit of escapism from serious family illness, work issues and general shitiness. I need bands that will help take me to Another Place - either a spiritual high or a place of fun. The Pierce Brothers managed both last year, and they did the same this year. Wonderful, joyous music. Happy, feelgood and the right amount of emotion. Lovely to have you back boys!  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
vince42

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »

We actually missed them last year arriving back at the field just at the end of their set so it was interesting to see what all the fuss was about.  Energy, passion and good old rabble rousing tunes - perfect festival stuff.
Roy C

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »

Highly entertaining again, even if their material is pretty samey. Just the job for that time of day, and it was great to see how pleased they were to play for us again.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »

Only caught the end of their set last year, so it was good to see the whole thing.
They're brilliant for all sorts of reasons, and I'm sure that, with time, they'll diversify the music a bit. It can't be easy playing a drum kit between them, let alone drums, guitar, harmonica and didg all at the same time.
Fabulous.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: