TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:19:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 119604 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2017, 01:51:12 AM »

Why see a Fish/Marillion tribute band when Fish and the original members  are  out there doing it? I find that very disrespectful to each original member  .

I feel strongly about this, both the original line up, Fish solo and Marillion are credible and worth listening to. (But they should have not kept the name).
No one will sing the original albums like Fish.  
But Fish has not been in Marillion for a very long time.

I do feel strongly about this with Fish era Marillion being very precious to me , many memories, I had a fish earring  and I painted my own leather jacket and tobacco tin with the jester..   I utterly rejected Hogarth and went to see Fish solo.. . Until I heard Hogarth Marillion sort of subliminally and had to ask what it was.    Now I love it.

Seeing Fish do Misplaced was so emotional and I intend to see him do Clutching.  

But I love seeing Hogarth's sets almost as much now. He has the same intensity and insanity Fish had.  Nobody moaned Fish was pished. And he was.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:06:28 AM by abby (tank girl) » Logged

it'll be fine.......
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »

Why see a Fish/Marillion tribute band when Fish and the original members  are  out there doing it? I find that very disrespectful to each original member

I think the band are quite happy about Stillmarillion - I've seen Mark Kelly play keyboards with them on a couple of songs, and the vocalist, Martin Jakubski, joins Steve Rothery when he goes out on a solo tour to sing during the second half of the gig.

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

Why see a Fish/Marillion tribute band when Fish and the original members  are  out there doing it? I find that very disrespectful to each original member

I think the band are quite happy about Stillmarillion - I've seen Mark Kelly play keyboards with them on a couple of songs, and the vocalist, Martin Jakubski, joins Steve Rothery when he goes out on a solo tour to sing during the second half of the gig.

I suppose, they're getting on a bit and it gives them a night off lol

it'll be fine.......
Roy C

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:33 PM »

Why see a Fish/Marillion tribute band when Fish and the original members  are  out there doing it? I find that very disrespectful to each original member  .

I feel strongly about this, both the original line up, Fish solo and Marillion are credible and worth listening to. (But they should have not kept the name).
No one will sing the original albums like Fish.  
But Fish has not been in Marillion for a very long time.

I do feel strongly about this with Fish era Marillion being very precious to me , many memories, I had a fish earring  and I painted my own leather jacket and tobacco tin with the jester..   I utterly rejected Hogarth and went to see Fish solo.. . Until I heard Hogarth Marillion sort of subliminally and had to ask what it was.    Now I love it.

Seeing Fish do Misplaced was so emotional and I intend to see him do Clutching.  

But I love seeing Hogarth's sets almost as much now. He has the same intensity and insanity Fish had.  Nobody moaned Fish was pished. And he was.

Abby, we can certainly agree that the Fish-era material is precious, like you say many memories, and seeing Fish do Misplaced a couple of years back made my eyes go watery. Fish doing Clutching will be great, and I don't think they should have kept the name either!  Its great you enjoy Marillion's new stuff too - sadly I have yet to get into it much, so we will have to agree to differ there  Wink .

In terms of why see a Fish-era tribute band, from what I have seen neither Fish nor Marillion perform much of that material routinely. Why should they? They parted company decades ago and have got plenty of more recent material to put into a normal 2ish -hour set.  It is unreasonable of me to expect to hear much/any of it at all from Fish or Marillion at their normal gigs these days - there was none last weekend for example. So I don't agree Fish and the original members are out there doing it much, they are understandibly doing their respective newer stuff instead.

Then along comes Stillmarillion, a Fish-era tribute band who are passionate about those first few albums, and play to an audience who, like us, know the music note for note and word for word. They couldn't get away with making a hash of it so don't, and we get all damp-eyed and sing ourselves hoarse. With the links between members of Stillmarillion and Marillion as they are, I don't sense any disrespect at all, quite the reverse in fact.

With the music being so special to me, I had misgivings about them before I saw them - like going back to an old ex, or revisiting somewhere that you remember from your childhood. Happily I needn't have worried, they are as good as I dared hope.

So I understand any reservations, but I do hope you get to see Stillmarillion at some point. I don't think you will be disappointed and suspect you'll be emotional, and croaky the next day - just like me Smiley

All the best whatever you do

Roy
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2017, 04:40:27 AM »

Thanks Roy,  that's a lovely post and has made me realise think a little. X
Abby

it'll be fine.......
Roy C

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2017, 01:06:25 AM »

You're very kind, thank you.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »

Roy C,
Love Shotgun Wedding, I didn't know you were still around.

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »

I went back to the van for a salad.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »

Any Fish in it?
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2017, 09:28:35 AM »

Any Fish in it?

Or was it just very Kale-y.....

Sorry.
Roy C

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »

[/quote]

Or was it just very Kale-y.....

Sorry.
[/quote]

Is it too late to say you're sorry?

Wink
Roy C

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 08:27:10 PM »

Roy C,

Was puzzled and did some Googling - I am not the Roy C you are thinking of... sorry!

I learn something new every day!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »

Roy C,

Was puzzled and did some Googling - I am not the Roy C you are thinking of... sorry!

I learn something new every day!

How very disappointing,. We are in desperate need of more 60's soul singers round these parts Afro

The Dude abides
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »

I didn't enjoy this set as much as the previous one by them - I think Fish spoiled it a bit. The last time I was persuaded that my 'If there's no Fish it's not Marillion' opinion was unfounded, and I got a hold of some of the Hogarth era stuff and liked it, but I didn't quite connect this time. I still need to hear Sugar Mice live by one of them, preferably Fish, but it was OK.

Well I never did..
Mitch

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »

As an aside, I would recommend the tribute band Stillmarillion who do Fish-era Marillion extremely well.

Thanks for the recommendation - love the name, very clever, though looking at their website the logo looks like a womble dressed as the jester...
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2017, 07:11:24 PM »

I didn't enjoy this set as much as the previous one by them - I think Fish spoiled it a bit. The last time I was persuaded that my 'If there's no Fish it's not Marillion' opinion was unfounded, and I got a hold of some of the Hogarth era stuff and liked it, but I didn't quite connect this time. I still need to hear Sugar Mice live by one of them, preferably Fish, but it was OK.
Fish will be touring the Clutching at Straws album shortly, so not beyond the realms of possibility that he will be invited back next year. (Please!)

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
peterh13
n3wb

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2018, 04:58:46 PM »

A recording of the Marillion concert from the Royal Albert Hall in 2017 will be shown on German broadcaster 3Sat on New Years Eve at 8:30 their time, so 9:30am here. Can be received on Astra1 satellite (19.2deg E) in SD and HD
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »

When I saw the topic notification my heart sank and i thought,  "Oh no, they haven't gone and booked them again". Phew!
Enjoy the recording  🙂

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: