TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:59:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moans about traffic and camping  (Read 59225 times)
Harping Kevin

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »

We didn't get to field 7 until about 16:00 on Thursday so no problems there!, but getting out was chaos. Last year we were at the services on Sunday at 11:10 (I know because Michael Ball read a dedication to me from my lovely wife about taking her to Cropredy). Six queues were on the go at one point. We waited several hours until we had to go. It seemed that at an intersection of (now) 3 queues from the field we were in and an extra one just past the gates (just past the toilets, if you were on 7) were not being run fairly. For example we were held while a load of vehicles came from the left field, and when that stopped, we weren't flagged on, so every 30 seconds or so one car came from the left field, when maybe 20-30 others in our queues could have moved on. Once past all that it was a breeze.
I asked a guy what the problem was?, it was a sell out I was told much more traffic the usual. Now I'm not an expert on queuing theory but it did sound a made up on the spot reason.
There were also an AA and RAC van going up the lane, perhaps a mobile charging unit would be of use next year by some enterprising local garage? or maybe the control units could have some jump leads? (presume it would be mostly flat batteries).
Finally there seemed to be only about of 20 toilets at the top of the 7's and they were mostly foul, kept running out of hand wash and toilet roll, the smell was not Channel No5 even at that was on the first day when we go there. The ones on the concert field were much better, kept clean and stocked. Fairly horrible all around but what a shame for children who had to perhaps perch over some dirty b*****s output (seriously can some people not clean up after them self?)
Paula Tindall

Loc: Northants

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 07:55:29 PM »

Loved field 8. Only problem was on Friday night we returned to the site to see that the area around the fire pit had been taken over by some folks without wristbands. Got a bit unpleasantly rowdy, (2 women eerie very close to a full on fight at one stage)' whereas the previous night's had been fun, with general banter and singing along  to the music. Seemed to have sorted it by Saturday, thankfully.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »

Re staying later on Sunday. We were told that we couldn't remain on field 5 and that the gate would be locked at 2pm. That was by the security bloke on the gate as we were about to walk off and leave  our vehicle!!!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

Re staying later on Sunday. We were told that we couldn't remain on field 5 and that the gate would be locked at 2pm. That was by the security bloke on the gate as we were about to walk off and leave  our vehicle!!!

Don't believe a word from the security on gate 5, they lied to me on Thursday morning.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »

... good music courtesy of Ric Sanders (and the other bloke whose name I didn't catch).

Vo Fletcher?

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
janemyra
n3wb

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »

As a Cropredy virgin (at 60!) I was really impressed by the organisation and facilities at the festival.  Everything was made as easy as possible for us, with the stewards doing a fantastic job of looking after us when there was any traffic between field 7c and the arena.  Every member of the festival organisation I spoke to (from getting information about flogging a spare ticket to questions about when showers were available) was a perfect combination of efficiency and friendliness; I don't know how much training - if there is any? - or who does the training - but they seem to have got it right.  
Was dreading what toilet facilities would be on offer but was pleasantly surprised that there were 'proper' toilets in our field which were kept really clean,  and once the signage reflected a more equal balance between gents and ladies - no complaints at all.
Special compliments to the great serving staff at the coffee stall on the way to the Arena.
A super friendly festival - I hope I'll be there next year!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »

There were only a couple of vehicles at the gate 1&2 entrance & they did move on after being advised that the gate stewards weren't on duty & therefore they weren't getting in any time soon.

madsue
susie-no-shoes

Loc: lanzarote

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »

No moans from me Grin  We camped on Bridge Meadow so we could go to the warmup gigs.  Irrelevant, I know, as not part of the camping fields, but loos were cleaned every day, always plenty of paper, though they were filling up by Sunday morning!  My brother walked up to the entrance to 1 and 2 on Thursday morning to see what was happening and found a couple  of cars who had missed the turning into the fields and refused to move on saying they had a "special arrangement".  They were then turned around in the cricket ground entrance and went back up the lane into the field they had missed!

Loos on the main field I found clean with plenty of paper etc, the queues for the ladies proper toilets were always very long, unless you went in the middle of a set.

Like others, on Sunday we spent time at the Brasenose, and at the cricket match, leaving around 3.30 for a great run home.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »

yes, I spoke to your brother there.

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »

That field certainly DID NOT open at 5am. "Totally false news".

That's a bit too Donald Trump for my tastes Chris. 😂😂

No Left Turn Unstoned
medler (Neil)

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »

We headed straight for fields 7 etc with the caravan to avoid the bunfight on the Williamscot road.
Arrived just after 7am, drove straight on with no queue. Lovely helpful friendly people getting us on.

Set up and cooked breakfast in the sunshine.

No drama, no fuss.

Getting off was similar.

Cool
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »

Still waiting to get out of field 7c, caravans everywhere and they've taken the portaloos away.

Not completely true  Cheesy

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Roger Thorpe

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »

Something weird happened to us in field 7 when we were leaving.
We were about halfway along the northern edge, packed up by 10:30 and joined the queue to join the track going south about 1/4 way down the field which stopped solid for about 2 hours, possibly more.
 The field must have been 75% full when we joined the queue and when we eventually reached the field gate we were leaving a field that was 10% full with only a dozen or so cars behind us. It seems to me that there were a lot of people who were not playing the game fairly.
The message is clear though, and next year I'll spend sunday morning in the villiage.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »

No moans from me Grin  We camped on Bridge Meadow so we could go to the warmup gigs.  Irrelevant, I know, as not part of the camping fields, but loos were cleaned every day, always plenty of paper, though they were filling up by Sunday morning!  My brother walked up to the entrance to 1 and 2 on Thursday morning to see what was happening and found a couple  of cars who had missed the turning into the fields and refused to move on saying they had a "special arrangement".  They were then turned around in the cricket ground entrance and went back up the lane into the field they had missed!

Loos on the main field I found clean with plenty of paper etc, the queues for the ladies proper toilets were always very long, unless you went in the middle of a set.

Like others, on Sunday we spent time at the Brasenose, and at the cricket match, leaving around 3.30 for a great run home.

Like button.
Bridge Meadow works doesn't it? But it has been my 5 yr secret!
madsue
susie-no-shoes

Loc: lanzarote

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:15 AM »

Yes it does work Hendo, and I have often wondered why we have never camped there in past years.  However it is very boggy in places and my brother spent quite a lot of time pulling camper vans out of the mud for the first two days using his Shogun and chains!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 08:15:15 AM »

Yes it does work Hendo, and I have often wondered why we have never camped there in past years.  However it is very boggy in places and my brother spent quite a lot of time pulling camper vans out of the mud for the first two days using his Shogun and chains!

Yeah, first yr I used it 2013, the river was up. There were only 5 vans using the site then but we were watching water levels. Field was boggy to the extent I moved further towards the track. They were only using the first field then.
iandiddams

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »

which is bridge meadow ?  the field with the entrance right on the eastern side of the bridge over the canal/opposite bridge stores, where the thai noodle stall is?  Is that not field 3?

(merely intrigued)

didds
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »

yes thats the one - we had a nervous eye on the Cherwell for a couple of days, didn't fancy summer floating down the cherwell.

and the stars look very different today
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »

Not traffic or camping, but toilet smells. ( This seemed the best thread to say it)

This was the first year when J and I became aware of very strong toilet odours half way down the field, quite a few times. Assuming it was when they were being cleared out.
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »

could be but more likely the sewage works .... deffo whiffed that aroma a fee times

and the stars look very different today
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: