TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:32:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reissues of interest.  (Read 164636 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #240 on: August 13, 2021, 10:33:18 PM »

Listening to the 2021 version of All Things Must Pass and sadly realising that an album I though was brilliant in 1970 has not aged well, no matter how many remixes and demos are included in the package.

I know this won't be a universal opinion, so don't bother disabusing me of my "mistaken belief".

You're mistaken!  Oh...

I only ever loved about a third of it.  And I still love a third of it.  Maybe even half.  But that is still a first rate album's worth.

Jules

I love all of it or two thirds of it, depending on whether we are including the Apple Jam disc as part of the album.

Discs of demos and outtakes are always a bit of a mixed bag but I think they are more hit than miss on this set. Some nice early versions of songs that appeared on later albums. A few previously unreleased songs of variable quality and the near 10 minute take of Hear Me Lord with the extended guitar solo is worth the price of admission in its own right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #241 on: September 18, 2021, 09:20:24 AM »

A 4CD collection of vintage material by  Ian A. Anderson.

Some of this has appeared already. This looks comprehensive.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #242 on: September 18, 2021, 11:35:49 AM »

Yes - this looks really good.  Competitively priced too... https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/ian-a-anderson-please-re-adjust-your-time-the-early-blues-psych-folk-years-1967-1972-4cd-box-set/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »

Yes - this looks really good.  Competitively priced too... https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/ian-a-anderson-please-re-adjust-your-time-the-early-blues-psych-folk-years-1967-1972-4cd-box-set/

Yes, although I have the compilation Time is Ripe,  this box looks interesting.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #244 on: June 19, 2022, 05:52:52 AM »

Younger Brother From Austin picked up the 40th anniversary reissue of "It's Hard" by The Who, 4-LP box set.

In addition to remastered sound, it sports a side of rarities including "Eminence Front" partly sung by Roger Daltrey and a longer version of "Cry If You Want."

I'm a hard maybe. I don't really listen to this album, which I have purchased in multiple formats starting in, oh, 1982.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #245 on: June 19, 2022, 07:39:10 AM »

Younger Brother From Austin picked up the 40th anniversary reissue of "It's Hard" by The Who, 4-LP box set.

In addition to remastered sound, it sports a side of rarities including "Eminence Front" partly sung by Roger Daltrey and a longer version of "Cry If You Want."

I'm a hard maybe. I don't really listen to this album, which I have purchased in multiple formats starting in, oh, 1982.

I always think it's a better than decent album that stands up against a lot of the (really rather average) Who studio albums (there's a couple of classics in there too, of course).  I'd have less than no interest in a very expanded set though I think.  I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that most albums are best left how they were.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #246 on: June 19, 2022, 10:25:28 AM »

I have a copy on the way as it is the only Who album I have never owned. Only two discs though I think so not vastly expanded. Just one side of the vinyl contains extras. The original album has been stretched over three sides of vinyl.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #247 on: June 19, 2022, 10:38:03 AM »

Not even heard about this one. Is it a RSD thing? I'd be hard pressed to get excited about an expanded It's Hard, I must confess.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2022, 12:52:11 PM »

Not even heard about this one. Is it a RSD thing? I'd be hard pressed to get excited about an expanded It's Hard, I must confess.

Jules

Yes it is RSD but only two vinyl discs, not four so not very expanded because of the way it has been sequenced. See my post above.

https://www.thewho.com/the-whos-release-for-record-store-day-2022/
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2022, 10:56:41 PM »

Yes it is RSD but only two vinyl discs, not four so not very expanded because of the way it has been sequenced. See my post above.

Ah, so we've gone from 4 LPs down to 4 bonus tracks.   Grin

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2022, 12:54:15 AM »

Ah, so we've gone from 4 LPs down to 4 bonus tracks.   Grin

Jules

Indeed, I stand corrected. I bet they could have stretched it out to 4 LPs if they had included all of John Entwistle's rejected demos.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »

Not one of my favourite Who albums, but, as David said, there are a couple of classics on it. I have a feeling, although I may be wrong, that this one was more of a hit in the US than over here.  I must admit I also feel that most albums are best left alone. It's one thing to include some live stuff and some tracks that were never released, but when you get a different version of a track that's either almost the same as or (as in many cases) worse than the original, what's the point?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »

Not one of my favourite Who albums, but, as David said, there are a couple of classics on it. I have a feeling, although I may be wrong, that this one was more of a hit in the US than over here.  I must admit I also feel that most albums are best left alone. It's one thing to include some live stuff and some tracks that were never released, but when you get a different version of a track that's either almost the same as or (as in many cases) worse than the original, what's the point?

OK, how about CDs with bonus tracks where more was definitely welcome?

The best example for me was Full House.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2022, 12:26:57 PM »

Jules

I always think of that one as correcting a wrong that everybody (except one person) knew was a wrong all along... Wink

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2022, 12:31:33 PM »

Jules

Full House is a rare example of an album that was actually improved as an entity by the addition of extra tracks. Another example would be the addition of the magnificent Silver Springs to Rumours

For the most part I regard the bonus tracks on reissues as something separate from the album itself, sometimes worth hearing in their own right, sometimes less so.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #255 on: June 20, 2022, 01:05:50 PM »

I always think of that one as correcting a wrong that everybody (except one person) knew was a wrong all along... Wink

Amen.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2022, 01:06:42 PM »

For the most part I regard the bonus tracks on reissues as something separate from the album itself, sometimes worth hearing in their own right, sometimes less so.

Yes, same, as you say, for the most part.

Jules

Peter Allen

« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2022, 02:49:36 PM »

Just bought a 2x LP Kinks "Arthur" 50th Anniversary , from HMV £22.99 anybody familiar with the bonus tracks ?

Also speaking of Full House , I have a pink Island label pressing with the correct track listing on the label but I daren't play the vinyl in case it still hasn't got you know what on it , and I picked up an original sleeve not in very good condition  with you know what listed on it , before the over printing kicked in.
It's just nice to own a copy and  look at.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2022, 03:55:06 PM »

Just bought a 2x LP Kinks "Arthur" 50th Anniversary, from HMV £22.99 anybody familiar with the bonus tracks?

Very much so. I love Dave's songs from this era.

Also speaking of Full House, I have a pink Island label pressing with the correct track listing on the label but I daren't play the vinyl in case it still hasn't got you know what on it, and I picked up an original sleeve not in very good condition with you know what listed on it, before the over printing kicked in.
It's just nice to own a copy and look at.

Just looking at the vinyl will tell you. It would be wonderful if you had a copy with you know what on it.

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2022, 04:32:53 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if It's Hard was more popular here than elsewhere in the world. I checked the database and they performed a grand total of two UK shows in 1982 (both in Birmingham) before embarking on a 40-date tour of North America. So they promoted it heavily here and nowhere else.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: