TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:13:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reissues of interest.  (Read 164568 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2020, 03:11:05 PM »

This has a few  "out of print/expensive" LP's in the box set -a definite purchase for me Smiley

John Prine

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=112613

Yes I spotted this yesterday. I already have some of these but worth it for the Asylum albums as you say. Bruised Orange is particularly fine and has been on my wish list for ages.
Paul B

« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2020, 04:38:28 PM »

Just announced by Cherry Red records

Fairport

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/fairport-convention-fame-and-glory-cd/?mc_cid=0163382aaa&mc_eid=566af83acc

And various follow-up to "Dust on the Nettles"

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/sumer-is-icumen-in-the-pagan-sound-of-british-irish-folk-1966-1975-various-artists-3cd/?mc_cid=0163382aaa&mc_eid=566af83acc
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2020, 06:09:38 PM »

Fame & Glory seems a very odd one for Cherry Red to pick up to me.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »

I think it's an interesting choice. It seemed to come and go very quickly when it first came out so there might still be an audience for it if it's readily available.

The Sumer Is Icumen In compilation looks like a good listen.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2020, 07:23:30 AM »

I think it's an interesting choice. It seemed to come and go very quickly when it first came out so there might still be an audience for it if it's readily available.

The Sumer Is Icumen In compilation looks like a good listen.

It's amazing how few copies of something Cherry Red can produce to make some money.  It's not far off 'Print on demand' these days, I think.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2020, 08:32:11 AM »

Incidentally, can anybody remind me what John Wetton's involvement in the album is?  I do have it, but the one and only time I ever listened to it I was so scarred by the experience I find it near impossible to approach...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2020, 08:59:18 AM »

A much expanded 24 Parrots 🦜  by Al Stewart. I think this is one of his best albums.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2020, 09:04:51 AM »

A much expanded 24 Parrots 🦜  by Al Stewart. I think this is one of his best albums.

Or even Carrots  Grin

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »

Or even Carrots  Grin

Indeed. The p is crossed out, not the c.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »

Or even Carrots  Grin

I've just noticed something that I've never seen before on this one...that amongst the approximately 300 mostly muso-session guys that seem to play on it - never a massively reassuring sign - Robin Williamson makes an appearance.  Is it a notable one?

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »

Incidentally, can anybody remind me what John Wetton's involvement in the album is?  I do have it, but the one and only time I ever listened to it I was so scarred by the experience I find it near impossible to approach...

He sings on one or more of the songs.  Can't remember which ones now.  I actually like the album, and am hoping the three new tracks will be available to download.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2020, 10:02:16 AM »

Or even Carrots  Grin

I've just noticed something that I've never seen before on this one...that amongst the approximately 300 mostly muso-session guys that seem to play on it - never a massively reassuring sign - Robin Williamson makes an appearance.  Is it a notable one?

As I remember, he just plays on Merlin's Time.  I'm not sure that it is a stunning appearance - probably just giving an old friend who was around a chance to play.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »

Or even Carrots  Grin

As I remember, he just plays on Merlin's Time.  I'm not sure that it is a stunning appearance - probably just giving an old friend who was around a chance to play.
s

Yes  i think he plays the whistle. Not so as you'd notice  but yes.
Al has a great band on this album,  Shot in the Dark.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »

Or even Carrots  Grin

s

Just checked and Robin actually plays something called mandocello. Interestingly,  Sylvia Woods is on there too, she who was in Robin's Merry Band in the 70s. Also the late Krysia Kochjan
of Natural Acoustic Band.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2020, 09:10:13 AM »

Or even Carrots  Grin

s

Just checked and Robin actually plays something called mandocello. Interestingly,  Sylvia Woods is on there too, she who was in Robin's Merry Band in the 70s. Also the late Krysia Kochjan

So what do you think of the expanded version, Alan2?  Is it worth shelling out for the demos and live tracks?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote

« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »

Has Al's Indian Summer live set ever been released on CD? I'd love to be able to replace my battered vinyl copy.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »

Has Al's Indian Summer live set ever been released on CD? I'd love to be able to replace my battered vinyl copy.

Yes, it has.  But you want to make sure you get the 2007 version, as that has the whole album.  The previous release only had the live tracks (with the studio ones released as bonus tracks on 24 Carrots)

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »

Yes, it has.  But you want to make sure you get the 2007 version, as that has the whole album.  The previous release only had the live tracks (with the studio ones released as bonus tracks on 24 Carrots)

Yes! The Collectors Choice edition, 2007, is the one to get. Unfortunately these editions must have been quite limited as they seem to have disappeared largely.  Sad
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »

Or even Carrots  Grin

s

So what do you think of the expanded version, Alan2?  Is it worth shelling out for the demos and live tracks?

Im tempted by it Will, though I have 2 CD editions of 24 Carrots already, as well as a vinyl copy. The original EMI edition, 199? Is a very good CD sonically.

Esoteric always use the best sources, so I'm sure it'll be good.
wayne stote

« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2020, 12:52:15 PM »

Many thanks to you both, Will S and Alan 2. I'll search for the 2007 version.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: