TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:00:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ 50 Poll -Fave Cropredy Moment  (Read 23098 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »

The 25th anniversary.
My new girlfriend (later wife, now ex-wife) was completely exhausted by all that weird folkrock music and had fallen asleep in the rain, the Full House line-up played Sloth and RT started his solo....

Or maybe (if I may)

2014. I had a terrible time this year, problems at the job, problems with family. I sat down in the field (with my new girlfriend), Fairport Acoustic came on and started playing and I felt: This is where I belong, life is good here.

Tom , I think that encapsulates Cropredy for a lot of people. In the early and mid 90's it was a real escape for me!
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »

The whole set last year.

Our Lads were really on form. Not surprised they topped the best act poll.

I think that, and the set at Butlins in 2013, were as good as I've ever heard the band.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »

Getting told off by Ric's mum when I was rather inebriated and shouting "Get your bloody hair cut, Ric'" in '87. "My Ric's got lovely hair" etc etc....At least this is how I remember it anyway.... I'm not expecting this to win.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »

Getting told off by Ric's mum when I was rather inebriated and shouting "Get your bloody hair cut, Ric'" in '87. "My Ric's got lovely hair" etc etc....At least this is how I remember it anyway.... I'm not expecting this to win.

There will be no winners. This category is not going to the vote. It is just a bit of fun to stimulate conversation.

Did nobody read the introductory page?  Wink
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »

Ha ha!  At what point did you realise she was his mum?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »

Don't know why, but I'm imagining Ric's mother telling you off in a Terry Jones 'Life Of Brian voice!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »

Jules

When she started having back go at me and talking about "My Ric"...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2017, 07:01:01 AM »

Don't know why, but I'm imagining Ric's mother telling you off in a Terry Jones 'Life Of Brian voice!  Grin

Yep, spot on...At least in my memories!

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »

Jules

When she started having back go at me and talking about "My Ric"...

Not sure how anyone claim a version of a band as "their" version....*checks earpiece* What? Oh...
 Cheesy

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »

OK - bit of a long Cropredy story but true:

In the years when folks would serve up liquer coffees from caravans in the camp sites late into the night a group of us were getting increasingly merry and telling **** jokes, my late friend Nick came up with "Whats the difference between a duck?" - "One of its legs is both the same" much to the bemusement of a couple sat with. Don't worry about it we said, Nick is just trying to be surreal. "What does that mean?" they ask. "Well, if Peggy comes on stage tomorrow playing a banana instead of a bass, well that would be surreal".
Saturday night comes, Fairport bound on the stage Simon playing a box of cornflakes and Peggy playing a banana shaped bass guitar and from across the field we hear a voice, familiar from the night before, shout out "Bloody hell Peggy - that's a bit surreal"

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »

In the years when folks would serve up liquer coffees from caravans in the camp sites late into the night a group of us were getting increasingly merry and telling **** jokes, my late friend Nick came up with "Whats the difference between a duck?" - "One of its legs is both the same" much to the bemusement of a couple sat with. Don't worry about it we said, Nick is just trying to be surreal. "What does that mean?" they ask. "Well, if Peggy comes on stage tomorrow playing a banana instead of a bass, well that would be surreal".
Saturday night comes, Fairport bound on the stage Simon playing a box of cornflakes and Peggy playing a banana shaped bass guitar and from across the field we hear a voice, familiar from the night before, shout out "Bloody hell Peggy - that's a bit surreal"

Ha!  Superb.

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »

Great story.  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: