TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:00:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50:50@50 Tour  (Read 87195 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »

Interesting review a little earlier.  Calling something you disagree with a personal attack on here is something i've become fairly used to over the years, but this quite clearly isn't that.  I'm fairly certain I'd have agreed with most of the views if I'd have gone to the gig.  The one thing i find so wholly tragic about the 'Chris Leslie issue' is that I think Chris is Swarb's natural successor - I massively prefer his style of fiddling to Ric's.  Quite why a) he's not the fiddler in the band, and b) he's now somehow the songwriter, lies at the heart (along with the decision to drop the lead guitar from the lineup) of all that I (and others) feel is wrong with what they are today.  The battle's lost, of course, and, yes, I really should get over it, but when you have such a strong connection with something, it really is hard.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »

The one thing i find so wholly tragic about the 'Chris Leslie issue' is that I think Chris is Swarb's natural successor - I massively prefer his style of fiddling to Ric's.  Quite why a) he's not the fiddler in the band, and b) he's now somehow the songwriter, lies at the heart (along with the decision to drop the lead guitar from the lineup) of all that I (and others) feel is wrong with what they are today.  

Amen to this.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »

If you don't like them then don't go to their gigs...
But don't be so rude about them

Exactly and more succinctly put than myself  Smiley  I was at the Union Chapel gig last Saturday and came away happy. I was not expecting a rock band and got what I was expecting...if you go to see FC and expect expect something like LED Zep you are in the wrong place
[/quote]
I suppose some people went expecting to see something like their Fairport Convention.
PJayBe

« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »

Very pleased that the one thing that has gone of late is Ric's plucking on the violin that was prominent a few years back. A lot more annoying than the mandolin is now!!!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »

I suppose some people went expecting to see something like their Fairport Convention.

Hi Dave - not sure how anyone claim a version of a band as "their" version.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »

Quite why a) he's not the fiddler in the band, and b) he's now somehow the songwriter

a) Because Ric was there first and had been for 11 years by the time Chris joined. Why Chris was not asked in '85 is a whole other question. Maybe he wasn't available.
b) Because nobody else is and somebody had to step up to make them viable.

The bigger issue is certainly the decision not to appoint an electric/lead guitarist.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »

Isn't fandom about a sense of ownership? It is to me...My Fairport is Simon, Peggy, Swarb and Bruce....Always will be.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:28 PM »

The bigger issue is certainly the decision not to appoint an electric/lead guitarist.

Just wondering if anyone who could have filled this post then and now?

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »

PJ Wright.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:19 PM »

It's too late now imo.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

Isn't fandom about a sense of ownership? It is to me...My Fairport is Simon, Peggy, Swarb and Bruce....Always will be.

Sorry but music is for everyone and is not subject to "ownership"

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »

It's too late now imo.

Just curious is all

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »

Sorry but music is for everyone and is not subject to "ownership"

That is a spectacular missing of the point. The music isn't the issue. Most fans, certainly the ones I know, have a partcular affinity with certain eras of their favourite artists' career, usually the era in which they first encountered them and/or the era during which the fans were at their most impressionable.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »

Yes, sorry Chris. I didn't phrase it well.
2 ish yrs ago a couple went to a Fairport gig and complained that Sandy and Trevor weren't there!!!
I was just trying to express that people who knew the band in the 60's, 70's 80's and even 90's who walk into a gig now , will find it a very different band.
My Fairport has RT and Sandy and Swarb in it and I suspect we all have a fave.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2017, 09:08:08 PM »

That is a spectacular missing of the point. The music isn't the issue. Most fans, certainly the ones I know, have a partcular affinity with certain eras of their favourite artists' career, usually the era in which they first encountered them and/or the era during which the fans were at their most impressionable.

If I've spectacularly missed the point, I apologise but I like music...all sorts and I don't regard it as ownership. If it is good (to my ears even if everyone else hates it or the band) I don't care and I don't criticise other people's tastes either

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2017, 09:49:04 PM »

My Fairport has RT and Sandy and Swarb in it and I suspect we all have a fave.

That's mine too.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2017, 09:53:28 PM »

Quite why a) he's not the fiddler in the band, and b) he's now somehow the songwriter

a) Because Ric was there first and had been for 11 years by the time Chris joined. Why Chris was not asked in '85 is a whole other question. Maybe he wasn't available.
b) Because nobody else is and somebody had to step up to make them viable.

According to The Woodworm Era biography, Chris was approached for the vacant fiddle post, he's even referred to as "the obvious choice", but wasn't available at the time due to his commitments with Whippersnapper. Ric played on Gladys' Leap and the rest is history...
sirspens (John)

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2017, 11:23:11 PM »

Well,well,well! It seems my little review caused a bit of a stir. I note some agreement with some of my observations, but I am sorry if at least one person “Jenny” has taken offence.

Some context here. I had seen no full scale reviews of this tour,to give me a heads up before attending, just snippets, so thought I'd put in my thoughts. I had already expressed my position of disillusionment with the current ( read past 20years) FC lineup and product, and my pessimism that it would continue so, but nonetheless the HOPE that I'd be pleasantly surprised?

To answer Jenny:

I was at the gig reviewed above... and am saddened by the whole tone of the review.

If you were thee, you may have a different take on the gig- I didn't take a straw poll of the audience and report it, it was my personal view of the event. I'm entitled by dint of coughing up my thirty quid to take a view on what is served up to me. You don't have to read,or agree with my views

for goodness sake this band has been on the road for 50 years... that half a century...  give them some credit please!

I don't know your history of involvment with FC but they haven't.This lineup 20 years.I did give them a LOT of credit- followed the band for years even during times of disillusionment, and credited that which I found good last night

much of the review to me sounded like a personal attack for no real reason.

Really, on whom and why?  I WANTED to be blown away, not to be disappointed- and when I WAS disappointed I identified why that was so. It seems many have similar reservations about Mr Leslie's contribution to FC. I've seen many comments on here re him being “twee”- I too have previously used that term, but have concluded that I think “trite” to be a more appropriate descriptor

Could the reviewer do any better

not the point.I'm no musician- I'm the punter/fan who pays the troubadour to be entertained

Sally Barker is, to me, one of the best Wintour guests they have had for a while, she plays for us too and is a lovely lady with a great voice.

Your opinion, you are entitled to it. I didn't, I feel, denigrate her, I just wasn4t enthralled. Vikki Clayton, John B Spencer, Fraser Nimmo, Beryl Marriott are just 4 “supports” that stick in my mind out of the many, Sally may head your list and I am pleased for you

I just wonder why the reviewer would want to write so rudely about this band and their show.  They do their utmost to bring us joy and have never failed to make me and all our friends happy

rude is as rude finds. If you were there, you too heard Simon say he hoped we were all happy- and if not, say so- so I did. My prerogative anyway, whether invited to do so or no

I am glad he says he won't return to the Winding Wheel

I didn't- really must read more carefully. I like the place and it's pretty local to me. I don't rate the seating- check yourself next time, they are folding metal framed temporary seats, none too supportive for a 6'2” person like me. I actually said I would not be returning to a current lineup FC gig......

To expand on my review. This was NOT billed as a “Fairport Acoustic Convention” night. We didn4t get full acoustic, and I acknowledged that fact. HOWEVER, it IS billed as 50;50 old songs and new. Indeed this was fully exploited by band members in various media and on Clive Anderson's radio show. It seems at best disingenuous to portray a forthcoming tour of 50% old songs that were mostly played electric, yet do the current somnolescent treatment on SOME of them 6 I acknowledged those that rocked. I'd go so far as to describe it as perverse to play much of this stuff on a mandolin or banjo and refuse to honour these great songs as they were. Simon, I know, is a reluctant electric guitar player, but to give him credit he straps the thing on- Mr Leslie COYLD have done so, but chose not to. That peed me of not a little, fair enough I'd say from my point of view.

What saddened me most of all was that there was no EXCITEMENT, no BUZZ about the show. Nobody ran to the front to dance to the band, nobody got to their feet – the audience dutifully clapped along when exhorted to do so by Peggy, but that was it. It was all “grown up” and too “safe”

Despite being now 60+ years, with tinnitus and ETD problems in my ears, I want to go away from a gig with my ears ringing, my senses blitzed by shock and awe from volume, frenzy and a great light show. I take onboard that this is not what FC do now- but they DID, or at least three of 'em did, along with Mattacks and Allcock. “My” FC too was Swarb, Simon, Peggy and Bruce, and THEY really blew the mind! Let me have my sad longing for what was once truly amazing- I guessed I'd never see the like again, it was confirmed, I saw some traces of remaining greatness but all in all I left deflated and disappointed. I'm actually pleased if others didn't and loved what they got, as it will help keep “Brand Fairport” going- but you really don't know what you COULD have had in a different universe!

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2017, 11:23:36 PM »

If I've spectacularly missed the point, I apologise but I like music...all sorts and I don't regard it as ownership. If it is good (to my ears even if everyone else hates it or the band) I don't care and I don't criticise other people's tastes either

It doesn't need an apology Chris. I am not sure where you got the ownership thing from.
It is more about identifying with a particular era of a band. I 'discovered Fairports in 69, aged 17. Important stuff.
So ','my' Floyd were pre DSOTM. Sabbath have to have Ozzie, not Ronnie James Dio, . Fleetwood Mac had to have Peter Green , etc etc.
I disagree with Simon Nicol a bit. A band is not like an  orchestra. Yes in an orchestra you can replace 25 players and it is still the Birmingham Symphony, playing the dots on the page. A band is far more intimate. Remove one piece and the whole dynamic changes.
Some artists, Cooder, Van Morrison, even Springsteen can change the band and it can go on cos it isbased around them .
Tom Petty thought he could change the drummer and he found it affected the whole dynamic and feel of the band.
So i don't own anything a bout the band it us just my memory of a particular time , event etc.
The first time I saw Oysterband, the Waterboys were wonderful. Both bands are diminished by losing people.
You can't replace Chopper.imho.
So some people discovered Fairport as the present line up and loved it.....and that is fine.
Hope that helps. G night.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2017, 06:49:55 AM »

It doesn't need an apology Chris. I am not sure where you got the ownership thing from.
It is more about identifying with a particular era of a band. I 'discovered Fairports in 69, aged 17. Important stuff.
So ','my' Floyd were pre DSOTM. Sabbath have to have Ozzie, not Ronnie James Dio, . Fleetwood Mac had to have Peter Green , etc etc.
I disagree with Simon Nicol a bit. A band is not like an  orchestra. Yes in an orchestra you can replace 25 players and it is still the Birmingham Symphony, playing the dots on the page. A band is far more intimate. Remove one piece and the whole dynamic changes.
Some artists, Cooder, Van Morrison, even Springsteen can change the band and it can go on cos it isbased around them .
Tom Petty thought he could change the drummer and he found it affected the whole dynamic and feel of the band.
So i don't own anything a bout the band it us just my memory of a particular time , event etc.
The first time I saw Oysterband, the Waterboys were wonderful. Both bands are diminished by losing people.
You can't replace Chopper.imho.
So some people discovered Fairport as the present line up and loved it.....and that is fine.
Hope that helps. G night.

Hi Dave thank you for this, I now fully understand and fully agree about what you are saying. I was perhaps getting a little too (wrongly) upset about certain comments. I've calmed down and can see things a bit more clearer. Thanks again for your comments

Chris

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: