TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:55:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50:50@50 Tour  (Read 86780 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »

Blimey. All this cos one bloke had the temerity to criticise a gig!

Register on a board and post a long, negative and boarder line personal review, as your first post, on a board that is broadly positive about Fairport. That is going to get a reaction.
One possible reaction would have been to shout Troll, but we'll see.

I liked the review. Most interesting thing I've read on here for a while.
I think it probably summed up how I might have felt in the event I went to a Fairport gig.

Yes I think it is fair to say that there are plenty of us here on TAW who would not completely disagree with the review. I enjoyed the show I went to a little more than sirspens but have been open about what I perceived as its flaws.

I think the criticisms expressed by sirspens are valid, whether or not I agree with all of them and it is definitely not a trolling post. My only complaint about it would be the violence of some of the language used, or at least implied, which was not necessary to get the point across.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »

The attacks on Chris Leslie were a bit nasty and unwarranted. Particularly as they were repeated frequently. Angry

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »

The attacks on Chris Leslie were a bit nasty and unwarranted. Particularly as they were repeated frequently. Angry

I think the majority are in agreement with this. Personally I enjoyed the gig at the Union Chapel although it was a little like a game of 2 halves with the 2nd being better than the first

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »

I don't think I've seen any attacks on Chris, Jude.  There have been a few comments about his perceived MUSICAL strengths and otherwise, but I've seen nothing nasty at all.  This is a musical debate about a musical subject.  Isn't that why we exist?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »

I don't think I've seen any attacks on Chris, Jude.  There have been a few comments about his perceived MUSICAL strengths and otherwise, but I've seen nothing nasty at all.  This is a musical debate about a musical subject.  Isn't that why we exist?

I'll say this one more time.

If you have a load of posts, then it will just be a review, critical or otherwise.
If your posts 1,2 & 3 are critical, then the Troll alarm goes off. A Troll being somebody how deliberately posts something controversial and then stands back an enjoys the fun. Not only debating what was said, but carrying on and on, exactly like this.

Please let's just get back on topic and then we'll see.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »

I have just read it again because I was under that impression too but actually they are not really nasty (except maybe once). Mostly it is a calling into question, rightly or wrongly, of Chris's musical role in the band. But it is repetitive and that along with the language used makes it a bit tiresome and actually undermines it as a review.
sirspens (John)

« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »

Hi Colin. I tried to inject a little humour.I guess it doesn't always come across in the typed word! I am no troll, though I can see why as a moderator you might think so, unless you read my intro and realised I am a TRULY passionate long time fan of FC.Otherwise I would not have been so disappointed at what this band has become. As I see it, fandom doesn't preclude criticism, and my little "review" seems to accord with a number of like minded contributors on here. Where I gave offence, to "Amethys/Jenny" then I replied with explanation and apology. If you view other posts by me, you will see I contributed positively. IF the site is to be restricted to only "largely positive" remarks re FC, then so be it, but it seems rather proscriptive about a band with so many twists and turns, ups and downs,0 in it's lineup and history. I hope this satisfies your description of me as a possible troll...............
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »

That's a definition of a troll that suits a particular purpose, Colin.  A troll is somebody that doesn't care less about the subject matter but fires off controversial opinions just to get a response...because they enjoy it.  That is categorically not what is happening here which is a perfectly valid musical debate.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »

But it is repetitive and that along with the language used makes it a bit tiresome and actually undermines it as a review.

Shall we start marking each other's posts now?!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »

But it is repetitive and that along with the language used makes it a bit tiresome and actually undermines it as a review.

Shall we start marking each other's posts now?!

Was that necessary? Really? I have been standing up for the guy. I was just pointing out what it is about the post that might be creating so much ire?
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2017, 10:37:41 AM »

IF the site is to be restricted to only "largely positive" remarks re FC, then so be it,

Did anybody say that? I don't think so. (Yellow card)

This is all getting wildly out of control and if it's not Trolling, it's having that effect.

Stop it!

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »

I have to say I'm one who loves Fairport musically for what they were rather than what they are now. Having said that i always go to see them on tour because perhaps ?stupidly? I feel a part of the Fairport "family" and that means a great deal to me. I've made many friends via Fairport, people I would never have come to know if it wasn't for the band ... Some of my happiest moments have been on a field in August.... I want to support Fairport for what they have given to me. So I went to the winter tour 3 generations of us... (i wonder how many other bands have that generational following)It wasn't jaw droppingly exciting but entertaining never the less. I go and see other acts for my excitement these days Grin Grin
Thanks Fairport!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »

Sometimes I wish I had never opened my mouth, and if I had known that I would have caused all this commotion I wouldn't have.

My only reason for reacting initially was that I was at the same gig...

I will say no more on the subject now and see you all in a field!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »

This has actually been one of the liveliest, most interesting and engaged discussions on TAW for a long time with the cut and thrust that used to exist here but has long since disappeared. It is entirely on topic as far as I can see and it would surely be a shame to stifle it.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »

This has actually been one of the liveliest, most interesting and engaged discussions on TAW for a long time with the cut and thrust that used to exist here but has long since disappeared. It is entirely on topic as far as I can see and it would surely be a shame to stifle it.

Agree with that.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »

I have sympathies with many of the points of views expressed over disappointment with Fairport's latterday safe, cosy and comfortable stylings.  But I can't find it in my heart to single out Chris Leslie for criticism.  He's too lovely a man.  He also sings well.  And although his songwriting may not be to my tastes, at least he can be bothered to do some.  The five men in the band must be aware of this kind of criticism by now, unless they live in a bubble.  If they choose to ignore it, as is their right, then fans either go with the flow, or move on.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »

I am commenting because, like Gub , I have found this discussion interesting.
Lets assume that Chris joining the band was a definite move to a more acoustic sound . A move away from folk rock.
You can also argue that Peggy and Simon had been drawing songs from singer songwriters rather than raiding folk vaults . A move away from folk.
So we have a band , now with it's own singer songwriter and the band use that as the core of their new material.
So the band morphs in to where we are today. Gentle singer songwriter songs.
Chris writes what he writes. I have seen him solo a couple of times and really enjoyed it. His songs , for me, benefit from a more simple , organic arrangement . I have his solo albums, lovely meditative stuff.
So for better or worse, the band is where it is.......
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:09:51 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2017, 12:55:42 PM »

Back on topic, was anybody at the Settle gig last night? I left it too late to get a ticket but then Thursday is not a good day for gig-going as I'm usually doing my radio show.

So sadly I won't be seeing them on this tour.  Sad

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »

IF the site is to be restricted to only "largely positive" remarks re FC, then so be it,

Did anybody say that? I don't think so. (Yellow card)

This is all getting wildly out of control and if it's not Trolling, it's having that effect.

Stop it!

Back on topic please Colin - NOW!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »

I've purposely kept clear of it by not commenting, but I agree with Gub, it's been the most enjoyable couple of days on TAW for many years!

No Left Turn Unstoned
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: