TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 26, 2019, 11:11:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nils Lofrgren Chatter  (Read 3117 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: January 19, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »

Saw him as a support act for someone on an English tour in the early 70's?

Nils Lofgren, 1977?

Jules

Edit: A mention of an upcoming Tom Petty concert turned into a chat about Nils Lofgren which I think is worth it's own thread...Cheers Nick

Now be thankful for good things below
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »

Saw him as a support act for someone on an English tour in the early 70's?

Nils Lofgren, 1977?

Jules

Jules you're possibly correct.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:15:53 PM »

Didn't he trampoline on stage

Yes.  He used to do body flips.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 11:17:40 PM »

Jules

He was quite the acrobat, but his tumbling took a toll and he had to have both his hips replaced a few years ago. But it didn't completely corker his clogs, watch a video of him on YouTube doing his amazing solo on "Because the Night" with Bruce Springsteen. He can still do a bloody good whirling dervish with his new hips.

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »

Jules

He was quite the acrobat, but his tumbling took a toll and he had to have both his hips replaced a few years ago. But it didn't completely corker his clogs, watch a video of him on YouTube doing his amazing solo on "Because the Night" with Bruce Springsteen. He can still do a bloody good whirling dervish with his new hips.

He was a blisteringly good live performer in his prime. He may well still be, I haven't seen him solo for about 20 years. His Hammersmith Odeon show in '84 was one of the most exciting I have ever seen, particularly when he disappeared from the stage mid solo and reappeared on the balcony right next to us. And yes, there were somersaults. His Night After Night album from an earlier tour deserves to be regarded as one of the all time great live albums. The Hammersmith show was released as Code of the Road but the CD version edits down the crowd noise to fit it on a single disc which loses some of the atmosphere. It was originally a 2 LP set.
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »

I've seen Nils Lofgren live many times. Most recently was two years ago at Guildford.  Extremely talented guitarist and engaging performer. For one song they brought on some wooden flooring on which he kind of tap danced while playing guitar and singing. An alternative one man band.

He stayed back afterwards to meet fans and sign merchandise. He gave everyone as much time as they needed. To facilitate this, the bar staff took people's drinks orders in the queue and served them there!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »

Jules

heres the youtube link to one of his performances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGQvjAgyA-Q

The Dude abides
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »

Jules

and here he is in the old days doing a back flip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su959eEFnnA

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour, drinking milk shakes cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine, don't think
You knew you were in this song
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »

Jules

Hyde Park 2012 - wonderful ! I was there (as was Poor Will of this parish and family).

That was the infamous night that Macca came on and played I Saw Her Standing There, followed by an elongated Twist & Shout which turned into La Bamba with call-and-response which caused the gig to overrun the curfew and the sound to be turned off before the band (unaware this was happening) had finished playing ! Didn't spoil the previous 3 hours, though...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 04:37:51 PM »

Nils in his prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_n_D5An2Gg
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

Thanks Al, I discovered Grin way back as a teenager and loved the way they could convince with an acoustic ballad and then blow your socks off with full blown guitar rock, Nil's finest music is in this band IMHO but his solo work is not too shabby. I'll second the Night After Night album as a worthy piece of enjoyment
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »

Thanks Al, I discovered Grin way back as a teenager and loved the way they could convince with an acoustic ballad and then blow your socks off with full blown guitar rock, Nil's finest music is in this band IMHO but his solo work is not too shabby. I'll second the Night After Night album as a worthy piece of enjoyment

The acoustic live album isn't too shabby either.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »

Well, since we're on a Nils thing at the moment, here's a pic I took years ago of him and brother Tommy playing guitars...

* The Lofgrens.jpg (53.47 KB, 688x470 - viewed 364 times.)

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
Penny

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »

Great photo Nick.  Thanks!
It's really nice to have tribute-type posts about someone while they are still alive and well, instead of waiting until they have died.
Have enjoyed reading about Nils Lofgren which prompted me to watch him on youtube.  Any chance a moderator can move these posts to give him his own thread please?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:58:37 AM »

Stumbled upon this thread this morning whilst I was looking for a different one. As I have some Nils chatter today it seemed appropriate.

I am given to understand that his new album, made with pretty much his 70s band and featuring several co-writes with Lou Reed from their 1979 collaboration, will be dropping through my letterbox today.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »

Wonderful live performer and such a lovely man. Was disappointed to see him so underused when with Springsteen.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 11:47:00 AM »

Wonderful live performer and such a lovely man. Was disappointed to see him so underused when with Springsteen.

In what way ‘underused’?

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »

Stumbled upon this thread this morning whilst I was looking for a different one. As I have some Nils chatter today it seemed appropriate.

I am given to understand that his new album, made with pretty much his 70s band and featuring several co-writes with Lou Reed from their 1979 collaboration, will be dropping through my letterbox today.

It didn't arrive and still hasn't due to Amazon sending it to the wrong distribution centre.  Angry
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »

In what way ‘underused’?

I was wondering that too.  He's an integral part of the E-Street sound of recent decades.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »

In what way ‘underused’?

His guitar seemed a bit indistinct from where we sitting (on the side at The Ricoh). Although the overall noise being made was pretty fab. I appreciate it wasn't his show.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: