TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:32:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jude & BBT  (Read 51377 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2021, 03:35:40 PM »

Having thoroughly enjoyed the Dyble/Longdon album in the months since I got it I am now considering digging deeper into Big Big Train but their catalogue is frustratingly patchy in availability. I see that there is a forthcoming reissue of The Underfall Yard. Is that a good place to start?
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 04:10:13 PM »

Having thoroughly enjoyed the Dyble/Longdon album in the months since I got it I am now considering digging deeper into Big Big Train but their catalogue is frustratingly patchy in availability. I see that there is a forthcoming reissue of The Underfall Yard. Is that a good place to start?

Dyble/Longdon was my intro to BBT as well, so I'm not that far ahead of you. I have only listened to BBT albums featuring David Longdon, and find them fairly consistent quality-wise. Underfall Yard was the first to feature him, so probably as good a place to start as any. My favourites are probably Grimspound (features Judy on one track) and English Electric Part One.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 04:35:24 PM »

Grand Tour is excellent and gets regular plays here

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 05:33:07 PM »

Bandcamp is a good place to look for their material - pretty much all of their material (since David Longdon joined) is available there, certainly in digital form.  If you want physical stuff, I think you have to look on Burning Shed.

I find them very consistent in terms of quality, so any of the recent albums would be fine.  I started with the Merchants of Light live album, but I know I am not always in a majority with liking to use live albums as a sort of compilation to check out bands.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2021, 06:17:25 PM »

For me, The Underfall Yard is where they started the transition from good band to great band. Everything since has been top notch. Possibly, the English Electric albums would be a good entry into their catalogue but truthfully it's all great.

The albums before The Underfall Yard are still fine but they are a bit more straight ahead neo-prog. The songs are still good though and - while I prefer David Longdon - the two previous singers are very decent too.
Simon Withers

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2021, 10:18:22 PM »

I'd say that 'The Underfall Yard' is a very good place to start. That was where my BBT journey commenced and I haven't looked back as I am very fond of everything they have recorded since David Longdon joined the band. If it is available certainly try, English Electric, Full Power...that contains East Coast Racer.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2021, 10:38:08 PM »

My main starting point for Big Big Train was their show at The Anvil in Basingstoke back in 2018, which was a warmup for their appearance at Night Of The Prog in Germany a couple of nights later. A brilliant show, I found the setlist online and made a Spotify playlist, which makes a reasonable introduction to their music :

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3sjX82E3eYC8L7jyw0hf6J?si=_xdxvHUgSZi8898Dbso9XQ

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2021, 11:43:51 AM »

I love virtually everything they do, but I'd probably put Grimspound as my favourite. Not exactly seasonal for the start of February, but their Christmas single of a couple of years ago is great too.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2021, 11:46:12 AM »

I have succumbed and indulgently ordered the triple vinyl of The Underfall Yard when it is released in February. If I enjoy that I will take it from there. Hopefully vinyl releases of some of the other albums will follow.
PJayBe

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 07:33:54 PM »

Don't forget Dyble Longdon have a couple of "bonus" tracks up on  Bandcamp.

https://dyblelongdon.bandcamp.com/music
wayne stote

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2021, 11:24:50 PM »

I love virtually everything they do, but I'd probably put Grimspound as my favourite. Not exactly seasonal for the start of February, but their Christmas single of a couple of years ago is great too.

The Christmas single was great. Lovely video, too,  with the fellow from Shakespeare & Hathaway in it, and the band in a snow globe.  Smiley
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2021, 08:54:46 AM »

The Christmas single was great. Lovely video, too,  with the fellow from Shakespeare & Hathaway in it, and the band in a snow globe.  Smiley

Mark Benton? One of my favourite actors. I saw him as Perks in the stage version of The Railway Children at Waterloo Station.
wayne stote

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2021, 11:34:53 AM »

Mark Benton? One of my favourite actors. I saw him as Perks in the stage version of The Railway Children at Waterloo Station.

That's the chap. He's excellent in the in Big Train video.
PJayBe

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2021, 03:13:43 PM »

Shocking news about the death of David Longdon, after an accident this weekend. Longdon was only 56 and had helped turn the band around from being a “prog also ran” band into one of the rising acts of our time. Thoughts to his partner Sara and their children, and all his bandmates.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: