TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:27:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andy's Blog  (Read 119605 times)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2022, 03:42:35 PM »

I knew he'd been a songwriter before 10CC, but I had no idea he'd written so many hits (at such a young age, too)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2022, 04:33:10 PM »

I knew he'd been a songwriter before 10CC, but I had no idea he'd written so many hits (at such a young age, too)

Most first saw his name in brackets on singles by The Hollies. Look Through Any Window is an outstanding song for anyone to have written, let alone a teenager. Amazing talent.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2022, 04:51:05 PM »

Most first saw his name in brackets on singles by The Hollies. Look Through Any Window is an outstanding song for anyone to have written, let alone a teenager. Amazing talent.

Jules

I love a lot of his songs, especially the Hollies ones, but I have to be honest and say I find 99% of 10CC just "really rather dull".  They're in the "I know I'm supposed to love 'em, and everyone else does, but I really don't" pile with Steely Dan for me.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2022, 06:19:16 PM »

I have to be honest and say I find 99% of 10CC just "really rather dull".  They're in the "I know I'm supposed to love 'em, and everyone else does, but I really don't" pile with Steely Dan for me.

Funnily enough I often think of 10cc as being the British Steely Dan.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2022, 08:20:13 PM »

Jules

I love a lot of his songs, especially the Hollies ones, but I have to be honest and say I find 99% of 10CC just "really rather dull".  They're in the "I know I'm supposed to love 'em, and everyone else does, but I really don't" pile with Steely Dan for me.

Shocked Just  Shocked  The run of albums from Sheet Music to Deceptive Bends contain some of the most imaginative, articulate, eccentric, witty, sardonic and downright thrilling music of the 70s or indeed any other decade imho. The idea that a song like The Second Sitting For The Last Supper (to name but one) is beyond my comprehension.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2022, 09:08:55 PM »

Jules

Shocked Just  Shocked  The run of albums from Sheet Music to Deceptive Bends contain some of the most imaginative, articulate, eccentric, witty, sardonic and downright thrilling music of the 70s or indeed any other decade imho. The idea that a song like The Second Sitting For The Last Supper (to name but one) is beyond my comprehension.

I only have "The Very Best Of 10cc" compilation CD, which is really a top notch listen from start to finish & unlike most other "greatest hits" type packages, which are often best avoided in my experience! Grin...I really need to search out some of the albums as well though! Smiley
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2022, 09:55:19 PM »

Jules

Shocked Just  Shocked  The run of albums from Sheet Music to Deceptive Bends contain some of the most imaginative, articulate, eccentric, witty, sardonic and downright thrilling music of the 70s or indeed any other decade imho. The idea that a song like The Second Sitting For The Last Supper (to name but one) could be regarded as dull is beyond my comprehension.

Sorry, I missed some vital words from the sentence. Corrected above.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »

I saw 10CC in 1973 and 1975, then the current line up at Cropredy a few years BC (Before Covid). I had the first 4 albums and loved them all. The first album was a revelation to me. Such a talented band.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2022, 09:06:44 AM »

Jules

Shocked Just  Shocked  The run of albums from Sheet Music to Deceptive Bends contain some of the most imaginative, articulate, eccentric, witty, sardonic and downright thrilling music of the 70s or indeed any other decade imho. The idea that a song like The Second Sitting For The Last Supper (to name but one) could be regarded as dull is beyond my comprehension.

Just listened to the song mentioned above.  Dull is probably the wrong word - there is just far too much going on in there.  It really doesn't work for me at all...jarring all over the place.  I mean that guitar solo - why?  And the vocals!!!  No, no, no.  But, hey, I like Gentle Giant so absolutely none of this makes any sense.  Just proves it's impossible to 'prove' why we like some things, and why we don't.  No upset intended.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2022, 11:24:43 AM »

Jules

Just listened to the song mentioned above.  Dull is probably the wrong word - there is just far too much going on in there.  It really doesn't work for me at all...jarring all over the place.  I mean that guitar solo - why?  And the vocals!!!  No, no, no.  But, hey, I like Gentle Giant so absolutely none of this makes any sense.  Just proves it's impossible to 'prove' why we like some things, and why we don't.  No upset intended.

That's fine. I totally get that we don't/can't all like the same things. It was just the word "dull" I couldn't fathom. They may be a marmite band but they are anything but dull.
Peter Allen

« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2022, 04:36:37 PM »

I enjoyed "Sheet Music" but struggled with "Original Soundtrack" and then I saw the Feelgoods on TV and life was never the same...
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2022, 11:39:45 PM »

Today's Blog is about meeting a Cyberman in a bar and their drunken ranting.

* Cyber head.jpg (67.6 KB, 586x733 - viewed 852 times.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 12:48:20 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2022, 09:33:32 AM »

Excellent!! Cracking start to the day!  Grin

Flobbadob!
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »

Today's blog is a bunch of meandering observations and invective. Enjoy.

* GSTQ.jpg (30.92 KB, 500x353 - viewed 712 times.)

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2022, 03:33:51 AM »

Today's Blog is in fact a blog from 2015 about the significance of Alice Cooper's School's Out to me.

Enjoy. Sort of.

* Alice Cooper.jpg (7.52 KB, 275x183 - viewed 691 times.)

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2022, 11:24:53 AM »

Today's Blog is about the Tory Leadership contest.

Just a bit political.

* Tory Candidates.jpg (84.7 KB, 976x549 - viewed 538 times.)

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2022, 11:11:15 PM »

Today's Blog Entry illustrates the many uses of my (4-year-old but still pretty smart) mobile phone and is entitled Convergent Technology

* Pixel 3XL.jpg (42.95 KB, 325x312 - viewed 431 times.)

garrypbrooks

« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2022, 08:07:11 AM »

Today's Blog is about the Tory Leadership contest.

Just a bit political.

On a similar theme:
https://eastdevonwatch.org/2022/07/17/the-five-go-mad-and-beat-the-****-out-of-each-other/

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2022, 09:00:46 AM »

A quick skim of your 'Schools Out' blog shows similarities to my own early education,  Andy.  I left a grammar school at 16, too, having started at the top of my class aged 11 and finished somewhere near the bottom at 16. Yes, there was bullying, mostly done by teachers, and I became as unkind as some of my peers were to me. Teaching was about as unprofessional as it could get, when done by unqualified people who happened to have a university degree. There were at least 2 known paedophilies, and in the climate of the times it simply wasn't talked about.

Leaving school didn't solve anything for me, in the long term. I worked for the local authority for a while and a long period of unemployment followed. Basically I had mental health issues which had gone undiagnosed. Again, things like this were not part of the general discourse,  as they are now.

Life hasn't been  a total car wreck - I got back into education as a mature student and hold a degree and a masters by research. I won't go into my work history, which is sporadic to say the least, but I look forward to the state pension next year, which seems to be the only thing they can't withdraw or threaten to.

Stay safe,

Alan.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2022, 10:32:02 AM »

A quick skim of your 'Schools Out' blog shows similarities to my own early education,  Andy.  I left a grammar school at 16, too, having started at the top of my class aged 11 and finished somewhere near the bottom at 16. Yes, there was bullying, mostly done by teachers, and I became as unkind as some of my peers were to me. Teaching was about as unprofessional as it could get, when done by unqualified people who happened to have a university degree. There were at least 2 known paedophilies, and in the climate of the times it simply wasn't talked about.

Leaving school didn't solve anything for me, in the long term. I worked for the local authority for a while and a long period of unemployment followed. Basically I had mental health issues which had gone undiagnosed. Again, things like this were not part of the general discourse,  as they are now.

Life hasn't been  a total car wreck - I got back into education as a mature student and hold a degree and a masters by research. I won't go into my work history, which is sporadic to say the least, but I look forward to the state pension next year, which seems to be the only thing they can't withdraw or threaten to.

Stay safe,

Alan.

"Looking forward" to one of the lowest state pensions in the developed world is perhaps not the right terminology to be used, but I certainly hope you enjoy it nonetheless...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: