TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:39:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andy's Blog  (Read 119625 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:47 AM »

My blog is on facebook, but you should be able to read it without being on facebook yourself here. It's sometimes musical, most times not.

The latest blog is entitled "Nineteen Forever" and deals with the Joe Jackson song and its relevance to the death of a friend.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:16:02 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »

Today's Blog deals with memories of selling Poppies door-to-door in the 1960s, bonfires, fireworks and moist, smoke-filled Autumn evenings.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:58:58 AM by Andy » Logged

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 11:15:44 PM »

Today's Blog deals with memories of selling Poppies, door-to-door in the 1960s, bonfires, fireworks and moist, smoke-filled Autumn evenings.

Similar experience. My step-father was Canadian and flew on bombers (wireless operator/navigator) he would never 'Wear a Poppy with Pride'. They did terrible things, but that's what it took to defeat an evil.

My mother was one off those women down a bunker commanding fighters out to attack incoming, my father was an air-force engineer mostly working on secret stuff in South Africa. Both would donate to the British Legion, but would not wear a Poppy. To much jingoism.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:20:05 AM »

Very similar experience here too.  My Dad was very badly wounded in Kohima (and effectively died from his wounds in 1987).  He was as far from jingoistic about poppy wearing as it was possible to be...in fact he resented people wearing them as 'they didn't understand what they were talking about'.  He too had issues with the British Legion.  As a very conservative (and Conservative) bloke, I was always intrigued by this reaction.

What the whole campaign has turned into, and how it is used politically, is a total anathema to the original conception behind it.

You're absolutely right about the whole campaign lasting about a week too.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »

When did the "minute's silence" become two? It's been mooted that it may become three minutes - which I just don't understand.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »

When did the "minute's silence" become two? It's been mooted that it may become three minutes - which I just don't understand.

How about 20 minute's ecstatic applause?  The whole thing's laughable.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

Its the "one more" culture, it shows everyone just how deeply you really, really care. I noticed the poppies were starting to appear on TV yesterday, obviously the earlier you sport your support for our heroes matters as well now. The poppy cultists are about to have their yearly frenzy.

The Dude abides
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »

Andy your last sentence sums up exactly how i feel and what i do! "As he felt so strongly, I've usually honoured his memory and not adorned myself or my car with poppies, but, at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day, I pause and remember those that gave their lives in both world wars so that we can be free."

I particularly remember my Grandfather who was killed at the age of 21 when his  submarine was torpedoed 15th October 1940 - the only British submarine to be sunk by the Italians. My mum was 2 years old  Undecided

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »

My paternal grandfather died at Paschendale 8 months before my father's birth.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »

Interesting discussion,

It does seem as though the poppy campaign has been misappropriated in recent years to imply support for our 21st century military misadventures and I have a problem with that.

However, that was not the original intent, which was an act of remembrance for those who had lost their lives in the conflicts of the 20th century and who mostly had no choice other than to participate. My own father, who is thankfully still with us, was a flyer, a radio operator in the RAF during World War 2. His uncle, after whom he was named, died in battle in the closing weeks of World War 1 and has no grave. My Dad wears a poppy, not with pride but with humility and remembrance and I try to follow his lead.  
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »

Interesting discussion,

It does seem as though the poppy campaign has been misappropriated in recent years to imply support for our 21st century military misadventures and I have a problem with that.

However, that was not the original intent, which was an act of remembrance for those who had lost their lives in the conflicts of the 20th century and who mostly had no choice other than to participate. My own father, who is thankfully still with us, was a flyer, a radio operator in the RAF during World War 2. His uncle, after whom he was named, died in battle in the closing weeks of World War 1 and has no grave. My Dad wears a poppy, not with pride but with humility and remembrance and I try to follow his lead.  

I'd agree with this - I have no direct link to either war - my father was just too young for WW2 and my Grandad was too young for WW1 - my other grandfather fought in WW1 and survived, but died before I was born. I have, however spent time touring the Somme and the Ypres Salient and wear a poppy to remember those who died in such vast numbers.
 I am a bit uneasy about some of the modern implications and especially the 'shaming' of people who choose not to wear a poppy for whatever reason. I understand why some people prefer not to wear one - after all, those who died fought for freedom, which must include the freedom not to wear a poppy.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »

I understand why some people prefer not to wear one - after all, those who died fought for freedom, which must include the freedom not to wear a poppy.

A very salient point.

Whilst wearing a white poppy about 4 or 5 years ago I got called a "terrorist supporting cock" which is an interesting interpretation.

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »

I understand why some people prefer not to wear one - after all, those who died fought for freedom, which must include the freedom not to wear a poppy.

A very salient point.

Whilst wearing a white poppy about 4 or 5 years ago I got called a "terrorist supporting cock" which is an interesting interpretation.
Completely nonsensical.

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »

As a teenager and young man I hated the whole poppy thing as well as the Remembrance Day parades etc, as I was of the opinion that it glorified war. Nowadays I usually wear a poppy as an act of remembrance of those who died in conflict (whatever side they fought on) but I heartily agree with the sentiment that this is another tradition that has been hijacked to suit whatever political agenda is prevalent.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »

its interesting that the British legion page is headed "rethink remembrance" to get people to remember those killed in recent conflicts.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »

I think that as time has gone on there is a perhaps unfair perception that chipping in for 'The British Legion' means subsidising cheap lager and Sky Sports in a chain of social clubs.
I take my take on the poppy from my in-lawed SAS Major, Croix-de-Guerre recipient, POW camp- surviving, ex-Marine Grandfather - now sadly taken from us, who had extraordinarily forthright opinions on the whole thing and whose perspective on things was undoubtedly more nuanced than mine.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »

Three attempts to sell me Poppies today. Not yet November of course.

I very politely declined.

It's absolutely fine by me if anyone else buys one, I am not making recommendations either way.

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »

Today's Blog Entry is about having fun at Christmas and expensive presents being unnecessary to have fun.

Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »

Nice blog Andy, and I concur with everything you've said there... Smiley

The lead up to and anticipation of Christmas as a kid in the 70s was very exciting, but it was also quite a frugal time ...

Christmas presents?...Well probably a Beano annual or something similar. an Airfix kit, and a stocking of satsumas, nuts, and a few chocolates...

But we were very happy...(I can feel a Monty Python sketch coming on now)... Roll Eyes
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »

The lead up to and anticipation of Christmas as a kid in the 70s was very exciting, but it was also quite a frugal time ...

Christmas presents?...Well probably a Beano annual or something similar. an Airfix kit, and a stocking of satsumas, nuts, and a few chocolates...

I wish I could say the same, but I was spoiled rotten as a kid and my Christmas joy was fairly well rooted in materialism.

These days I still love the presents part best, but I try to embrace the whole experience more.  I feel better for it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: