TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 18, 2019, 06:38:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mastertapes: Shirley Collins Recording  (Read 2085 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: November 15, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »

Saturday 26 November 1.30pm

BBC Maida Vale Studios, Delaware Road, London, W9 2LG

Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult
Minimum age: 16
Maximum of 2 tickets per request

John Wilson returns with another recording for the series in which leading artists discuss the album that made them or changed them.

As she releases an album of new recordings (her first in 38 years), Shirley Collins talks to John Wilson about the seminal album she recorded with her sister Dolly - Love, Death & the Lady.

Released in 1970 on the Harvest label (also home to Deep Purple, Kevin Ayers and Pink Floyd), Love Death & the Lady exuded a darkness that reflected Shirley’s own personal loneliness at the time. With tracks like The Outlandish Knight, The Oxford Girl and Geordie, the album revolves around the themes of murder, class conflict and betrayal.

Shirley Collins began the 1970s releasing what is now regarded by many as one of her finest albums... and she ended the decade by losing her singing voice through dysphonia. Yet she remains revered today by the likes of Graham Coxon, Billy Bragg, Stewart Lee, Jonny Greenwood and Angel Olsen.

This will be a unique opportunity to hear Shirley Collins talk and sing her way back to an album that she described as “not easy music to listen to, I'm surprised anybody bought any of it at all”... and to hear how, four decades later, she rediscovered her voice and returned to the recording studio.

Important note: There will be a unique opportunity to ask Shirley Collins questions during the interview with John Wilson.

Please note that your contact details will be shared with the production team prior to the recording. This is in order to send details and gather audience questions for the artist ahead of recording.

Admission to this recording is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that as not everyone who asks for tickets uses them, to make sure we have a full house we send out more tickets than there are places. We do our best to get the numbers right, but unfortunately we occasionally have to disappoint people so please arrive early.

Apply here

Sadly, I can't go.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:31:13 PM »

Not a chance for me.  Mumble, grumble....  I look forward to the show.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »

Already fully booked!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:51:53 PM »

A couple of friends have got in.  Very jealous.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: