TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:44:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Shirley Collins Album  (Read 37635 times)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »

Pre-Ordered the deluxe edition, can't wait  Grin

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »

Pre-Ordered the deluxe edition, can't wait  Grin

Ditto absolutely.  Cool Smiley
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »

Having listened to Cruel Lincoln I wonder how much attention and praise it would get if it didn't have Shirley Collins name attached to it.  For me the best thing I can say about it is that its unremarkable and assuming that its representative I certainly won't be buying the album.

Others clearly disagree, perhaps they could say why it's so great and essential.

Your question is justified. The iconic status that Shirley Collins has acquired over the years, probably has influence when listening to Cruel Lincoln
Shirley Collins always has been a singer that you either liked or disliked, I suppose. Jules claims that her voice wavers a little more than it used to. I think that her voice singing Cruel Lincoln actually is steadier than it was forty years ago. I must admit that I never was a great fan of her singing. Her efforts in preserving and promoting traditional English song deserve more praise than her actual singing, as far as I am concerned.

Having said that, she sounds great for a lady who is 81 years of age!
But earth moving or otherwise otherwordly? Not really.
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

There's a new video out for 'Death and the Lady.' You can find it nested within this article: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/death_and_the_lady_shirley_collins_is_the_secret_queen_of_england
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »

There's a new video out for 'Death and the Lady.' You can find it nested within this article: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/death_and_the_lady_shirley_collins_is_the_secret_queen_of_england

'An error occurred', unfortunately, but thanks Austin.  Cool
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »

It plays for me, in IE11

Austin S

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 11:32:29 PM »

'An error occurred', unfortunately, but thanks Austin.  Cool

Not sure if you've tracked it down yet, but here's a YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKTWxI_DJOE

Really fantastic version of the song and I adore the imagery throughout the video. Was pleasantly surprised that Shirley appears in it at length.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »

That is "fantastic" ?

Oh dear...
Austin S

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »

That is "fantastic" ?

Oh dear...

To each their own, but I happen to think so.  Wink
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 04:34:56 PM »

Not sure if you've tracked it down yet, but here's a YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKTWxI_DJOE

Really fantastic version of the song and I adore the imagery throughout the video. Was pleasantly surprised that Shirley appears in it at length.

Great stuff...thanks  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Greg E

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 02:32:13 PM »

Fantastic.
Could listen to that all day long.
Can't wait for the album
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »

(This is a general not a specific point I'm making here)

I've been thinking about this and wondering if there is an element of (hopefully unconscious) sexism about all this?  I mean, Laughing Len gets lauded from the rafters and Bob gets 4 star reviews singing rubbish crooning covers from what sounds like an afternoon session recorded in the shower.  We know both of them have the voices of the people they are now, not the ones they had 50 years ago, and yet we aren't prepared to accept the same from Shirley after all she's been through?  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »

^Interesting, David, but I wonder if it isn't just that there have always been distinct camps about Shirley anyway. Some people have just never liked her voice, or thought she was much of a singer anyway. (Hasten to add i'm not one of these). I take your point about big names, though. Dylan could record the lord's prayer backwards and it would sell heaps on preorder.
Austin S

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »

I've been thinking about this and wondering if there is an element of (hopefully unconscious) sexism about all this?  I mean, Laughing Len gets lauded from the rafters and Bob gets 4 star reviews singing rubbish crooning covers from what sounds like an afternoon session recorded in the shower.  We know both of them have the voices of the people they are now, not the ones they had 50 years ago, and yet we aren't prepared to accept the same from Shirley after all she's been through?  

I'd been thinking about this too, David. I think older women do have a lot harder time in the music industry than older men (though it's likely the case that I could remove the qualifier 'older' and still have a correct statement). It's much, much easier to conjure up examples of men in their 70s and 80s touring and recording (and being well received when doing so) than it is to think of women of that age who are doing the same. I'm sure there are a plethora of factors influencing that, and I expect implicit/unconscious sexism could be one. (Following you, David, I'm speaking generally too -- certainly not trying to make a sweeping statement about why friends on the forum might not like Shirley's new recordings.)
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »

Bob may well get four star reviews for that stuff but he wouldn't from me.  I think it could also be argued that Laughing Len has never sung a note in his life so his current performances are not much different from his early ones.  I have lots of stuff by Shirley from various periods and love it all but the difference between those performances and her current ones is that, for me, currently she's not actually singing at all, more reciting with an inflection.  For some people that's clearly enough, others disagree and hear much more than that.

I do though have a slight suspicion that there's an element of

"It's Shirley Collins! She's singing!"
"But actually..."
"It's Shirley Collins! She's singing!"
"But..."

repeat ad nauseam

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Austin S

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2016, 08:06:55 PM »

Jeremy -- interesting point on "recitation" vs. "singing." My personal definition of "singing" is pretty loose, and I know it isn't shared by many of my friends. I can understand arguments that Shirley is leaning towards recitation on these tracks. If that is the case, I'd still say that they are beautiful recitations that I'd listen to again and again.

(Side note: My first exposure to Shirley's voice came from her singing on Current 93 albums, and I loved her sound and presence immediately. Her voice there sounds quite close to how it sounds now. That being my initial "prototype" of Shirley's voice might help account for why I like this so very much -- indeed, for me, what I've heard so far stands easily shoulder-to-shoulder with her other work.)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »

Jeremy -- interesting point on "recitation" vs. "singing." My personal definition of "singing" is pretty loose, and I know it isn't shared by many of my friends. I can understand arguments that Shirley is leaning towards recitation on these tracks. If that is the case, I'd still say that they are beautiful recitations that I'd listen to again and again.

(Side note: My first exposure to Shirley's voice came from her singing on Current 93 albums, and I loved her sound and presence immediately. Her voice there sounds quite close to how it sounds now. That being my initial "prototype" of Shirley's voice might help account for why I like this so very much -- indeed, for me, what I've heard so far stands easily shoulder-to-shoulder with her other work.)

Good post.  Cool
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »

Another one to love, and to loathe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJBcmAGmMm0

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »

Well, Shirley's going to perform the new album live.....

London Barbican - on sale now to members, tomorrow General Sale

Saturday February 18 2017
https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=20474

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »

Grauniad review https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/27/shirley-collins-lodestar-album-review-austere-foreboding-folk-music

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: