TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The small claims court  (Read 9903 times)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »

Once found myself travelling to Guernsey on a small plane most of whose other occupants turned out to be the Lords Taverners Cricket team and friends...
Willy Rushton in a shirt Carey Hancock would have been jealous of, Elaine Page, Time Rice, Judith Chalmers (absolutely charming) ... the banter flew loudly back and forth, it was like a live 'Sorry I Haven't a Clue'.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2022, 03:01:36 PM »

Lorraine Chase in the loos of the Albert Hall, where I was singing with a choir for a Born Free anniversary event. I remarked on her stunning embroidered jacket and she replied with something suitable in cockney then raced off.

I met a lot of other celebs that day, but they were all part of the concert so that would cheating a bit as, for a few hours, I was "one of them"  

That was the concert that my daughter, Rachel sang in too. She rang us in the afternoon to say they'd arrived ok and she'd met some celebrities, including Rolf Harris - her exact words were 'He's a bit of a perv, a bit too touchy feely!'
I didn't know Rachel was there Mick! And yes, Rolf was a toucher  Sad  Embarrassed  Shocked  

Yes, she worked for Admiral Insurance for a while and was in the Admiral Choir, although, if I recall correctly, they were renamed The Elephant Choir on this occasion

They were the snappily-named Elephant.co.uk Inspire Choir and that was why I was there! I'm off to look at the video to see if I can spot her.... Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2022, 03:02:30 PM »

Once found myself travelling to Guernsey on a small plane most of whose other occupants turned out to be the Lords Taverners Cricket team and friends...
Willy Rushton in a shirt Carey Hancock would have been jealous of, Elaine Page, Time Rice, Judith Chalmers (absolutely charming) ... the banter flew loudly back and forth, it was like a live 'Sorry I Haven't a Clue'.
Sorry to x2 post but I would have loved that! Very impressed  Cool

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2022, 09:56:51 AM »

Hugh Cornwell was appallingly rude to my girlfriend in 1973.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2022, 09:26:42 AM »

However, Mick Jones from The Clash offered profuse apologies when he trod on my foot as he came off the stage at Eric's club in Liverpool.

Many years ago, I was in Glasgow on a work trip; after a meal and a few beers with colleagues, I returned to the city centre hotel about 1130pm, got in the lift, but as the doors were closing, I heard a male voice call "could you hold the lift, please?"  He sounded familiar.  I held the doors, the chap - slim, wearing a woolly hat - jumped in, and I asked him "which floor, mate?"  "Oh, top floor please".  Doors closed, we started ascending - we reached my floor, and I went to step out... "Thanks for that" said.......... Mick Jagger.  At which point we exchanged a grin and a wink - he knew I'd clocked him, but I didn't feel I should invade his privacy, and I guess he appreciated that?

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2022, 10:01:18 AM »

However, Mick Jones from The Clash offered profuse apologies when he trod on my foot as he came off the stage at Eric's club in Liverpool.

Many years ago, I was in Glasgow on a work trip; after a meal and a few beers with colleagues, I returned to the city centre hotel about 1130pm, got in the lift, but as the doors were closing, I heard a male voice call "could you hold the lift, please?"  He sounded familiar.  I held the doors, the chap - slim, wearing a woolly hat - jumped in, and I asked him "which floor, mate?"  "Oh, top floor please".  Doors closed, we started ascending - we reached my floor, and I went to step out... "Thanks for that" said.......... Mick Jagger.  At which point we exchanged a grin and a wink - he knew I'd clocked him, but I didn't feel I should invade his privacy, and I guess he appreciated that?

Haha! Love it!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2022, 03:33:10 PM »

I once stood on Graham Gooch's toe in the Pavillion at Old Trafford. Fortunately, he was uninjured and still able to bat!
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2022, 05:12:02 PM »

While collecting a hire van from Robinson Goss of Tredington, Shipston-on-Stour (purveyors of luxury tour transport for Fairport Convention !), bumped into Gareth Williams who was dropping his car off for a service........
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2022, 11:06:10 AM »

A friend and I hustled our way backstage after an R.E.M. gig in 1985. We interviewed Michael Stipe for our college newspaper, and then took him out for a curry. It was Hallowe'en and Michael gave me the mask he had been wearing, although I sadly lost that.

After eating (Michael had dahl and lots of coffee), we walked him back to his hotel. When we shook hands to say goodbye, he told me that my handshake was too limp, and proceeded to teach me how to give a firm handshake, and tell me how important that was.

Jules

I interviewed Jenny Agutter whilst at uni. She was staying with Judy Geeson - she was going out with Kate O'Maras son at the time Dickon,and he was there too. Melvyn Hayes popped round halfway through.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2022, 12:36:29 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, we may have a winner!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »

I was working in a bookshop in oxford when an elderly, tall, stooped slightly familiar looking man left his umbrella behind. Dispatched to return it to him I was stunned to find he was half way up Broad St in a matter of moments. A quick sprint and I called out "excuse me sir, you left your umbrella in Parkers, I thought I would never catch you",

"Thank you young  man" he replied, "you're not the first person to think that".

Only on returning to the shop was I told who it was – Sir Roger Bannister.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2022, 11:43:05 AM »

We were debating this at work once and we all in turn recounted encounters with various soap stars and C list celebrities when a quiet voice at the back uttered "I met Nelson Mandela once" - game over.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »

In about 1979 when I was 12ish I sold Alec Guinness (who lived locally) a copy of the Telegraph and some cigars at the paper shop opposite Petersfield Station.  He was absolutely delightful and asked me if I was enjoying the magazine I was reading which had fallen on the floor in the excitement of him walking in.  Let's just say that this was not an age-appropriate magazine...  Wink Grin  12 year olds left running businesses while their owners 'visited the owner of the nearby florist' - what could possibly go wrong?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2022, 12:14:21 PM »

We were debating this at work once and we all in turn recounted encounters with various soap stars and C list celebrities when a quiet voice at the back uttered "I met Nelson Mandela once" - game over.

He is definitely the winner!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »

In about 1979 when I was 12ish I sold Alec Guinness (who lived locally) a copy of the Telegraph and some cigars at the paper shop opposite Petersfield Station.  He was absolutely delightful and asked me if I was enjoying the magazine I was reading which had fallen on the floor in the excitement of him walking in.  Let's just say that this was not an age-appropriate magazine...  Wink Grin  12 year olds left running businesses while their owners 'visited the owner of the nearby florist' - what could possibly go wrong?

I'd be surprised if you could type this without blushing, this many years later.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2022, 01:38:05 PM »

I'd be surprised if you could type this without blushing, this many years later.

Jules

Pah! I'm a middle aged man who's had prostate cancer.  Embarrassment is a thing of the very distant past...  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2022, 01:41:04 PM »

Pah! I'm a middle aged man who's had prostate cancer.  Embarrassment is a thing of the very distant past...  Wink

Good point, well made.

Jules

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: