TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 12, 2019, 07:08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do you love?  (Read 17195 times)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »

So many great guitar players - Roy Gallagher, Jimmy Hendricks, Richard Thomson, Ray Cooder - I could go on! One of my top three though, is someone you've never heard of - Geoff Lawrence out of Slugworth.
https://www.reverbnation.com/biggerbabaa/song/14250575-ex-animals-wife

I'm not biting!  Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »

Gerry Garcia.

Sorry Alan2, it hit me between the eyes it's JERRY Garcia!
Sorry to be pedantic!  Grin

Sorry to Jerry, I stand corrected.  Cool
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »

Springing to mind:

Vocals : Roger Chapman, Kevin Coyne, Sandy Denny.

Keyboards : Rick Wakeman.

Guitar: John Martyn, John Renbourn, Gary Green (Gentle Giant), Gerry Garcia, Mick Ronson, and of course Rory Gallagher.

Drums : Rob Townsend.  (Family).

Among others, I forgot Joan Baez- - a sublime singer.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 03:07:07 PM »

Sometimes.  Other times she can strip paint.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »

Sometimes.  Other times she can strip paint.

Jules

Her voice has mellowed with age. And she can really nail a cover version. This is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBNDlPcleY

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 03:17:19 PM »

Her voice has mellowed with age. And she can really nail a cover version.

Must avoid "nails on blackboard" joke.

Nah, she's alright is Joanie.  Just wouldn't make my top singers list.

Jules

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 12:17:39 AM »

i have to put Gail Anne Dorsey in here who if you dont know was Bowie's bass playerand backing vocalist and guitarist since 1985.

it'll be fine.......
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »

Tried to avoid this topic, but you just can’t can you?

Humanity is very lucky in the number and variation of virtuoso musicians it has. Is Buddy Rich better than Zac Starkey? Is Wilko Johnson any worse than Django Reinhardt? It’s all subjective and down to taste of course, but a couple of my favourites excluding current members of Fairport (who I would list in every category out of sheer bias) are;

Male Vocals :    Dick Gaughan,                Bruce Guthro   .      (Runrig)
Female Vocals :    Sandy Deny,                      Sigrid Hausen      (Qntal)
Keyboards :    Michael Popp          (Qntal)         Michael Nyman                
Guitar:    Richard Thompson               Michael Campbell       (Tom Petty)
Bass Guitar   Roger Glover      (Deep Purple)         Mark King       (Level 42)
Drums :    Steve Ferrone      (Tom Petty)         Glen Sobel       (Alice Cooper)  (mesmerised me watching him at Cropredy)
Fiddle   Seth Lakeman               Frau Schmidt       (Subway to Sally)
Other;   Oliver Pade      (Faun)   ( Nyckelharpa)      Peter Morrison       (Pipes and whistles in Peatbog Fairies)

Many many others could have been on this list. Aren’t we lucky that there are so many to listen to? I stand/sit there on fields Pubs and in halls wishing I had been blessed with the patience and skill that they share with us.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:47:19 PM by Field 7 is Heaven (Trev) » Logged
vince42

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 11:00:33 PM »

I can't disagree much with any of the choices so far as they are all fine musicians.  But the question is who do I love? For that I have to go with people I've seen performing and I'll chuck a few more names in the mix.

Drums -  Ian Paice of Deep Purple. A man who can do a genuinely interesting drum solo.....

Guitar - John Martyn.  And if you like a bit of leftfield classical ( you should have a look on you tube for lambada fur elise ) -Pavel Steidl.

Bass -  Jon Poole

Vocals - Rhiannon Giddens

I've also been mighty impressed by Kris Drever and will be seeing him this week.

And the last band who got me jumping about like an idiot were The Toi - may they go far.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »

I have spent the last 6 days in Ireland where I have finally had time to consider this properly. I am still not sure I have entirely nailed it but on gut reaction (which is probably what was intended), I have come up with this:

Male Vocal: - Hard to look past Beatles era Macca. His range both musically and stylistically was extraordinary. When he rips into I'm Down or Oh Darling to name but two, I just become transfixed and I have done for nearly 50 years. Honourable mention for Michael Nesmith whose singing never fails to bring a smile to my face. It is one of the most naturally relaxing sounds on the planet.

Female Vocal - Ella Fitzgerald. I don't listen to a huge amount of jazz but Ella is just effortless and perfect in her dilivery every time. Look no further (with apologies to Joni, Carly, Carole and perhaps especially Chrissie amongst others)

Guitar - It is a tad obvious but it is consistently RT who makes me go weak at the knees when he rips into one of those solos. Honourable mentions for Peter Buck and Bruce Cockburn and I have already mentioned Nils Lofgren.

Bass - Gotta be Macca again. To be honest, I prefer it when he picks up a hard bodied 6 string but his bass work is incomparable.

Keyboards - Benmont Tench. Just one of the finest sidemen around. I always get a little excited when the into to You Got Lucky kicks in. And the same goes for Roy Bittan. To hear him play the opening bars of Racing In The Street or Backstreets is a thing of wonder.

Drums - Three. Dave Mattacks, Steve Gadd, Jim Keltner who have all added immeasurably to my enjoyment of any number of records by any number of artists.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 08:00:02 PM »

Honourable mention for Michael Nesmith whose singing never fails to bring a smile to my face. It is one of the most naturally relaxing sounds on the planet.

Amen.  And beautifully put.

Bass - Gotta be Macca again. To be honest, I prefer it when he picks up a hard bodied 6 string but his bass work is incomparable.

He plays a great guitar, and is indeed responsible for most of my favourite Beatle guitar solos, but, conversely, I'm happiest when I see him strap on the bass.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 02:20:19 AM »

Vocals: Janis, Aretha, Otis. No surname required.

Guitar: Zappa and R.T. Both have differing and unique styles, but when they solo you have no idea where they are going to go. Perhaps they don't either.
           David Gilmour and Steve Hackett. Very melodic, very understated, very classy.
           Michael Schenker. Just my favourite hard rock guitarist. Plays a Flying V.

Bass: John Paul Jones,  Norman Watt-Roy, Jaco, Dave Pegg. Not Roger Waters.

Keys: Rick Wright. Unsung hero. Rick Wakeman. Jon Lord. Don Airey. Nice blokes too.

Drums : Bonzo. Cozy. Paice. Collins. Not Meg White.

Marimba and other hitty things : Ruth Underwood.

Ensembles : Mott, SAHB, Blockheads, Lindisfarne.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 12:22:27 PM »

Listening to Who's Next last night I decided Keith Moon was a genius drummer-  it's like a lead instrument. Entwistle was no slouch on bass either.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »

Listening to Who's Next last night I decided Keith Moon was a genius drummer  

Blimey, Alan, what a radical conclusion!  Would never have occurred to the rest of us.   Grin

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »

Listening to Who's Next last night I decided Keith Moon was a genius drummer-  it's like a lead instrument. Entwistle was no slouch on bass either.

you're having us on here, arent you or are you just a teenager who found his dads/grandads old records?

The Dude abides
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »

Listening to Who's Next last night I decided Keith Moon was a genius drummer  

Blimey, Alan, what a radical conclusion!  Would never have occurred to the rest of us.   Grin

Jules

Don't quite understand your irony, Jules. It's radical for me,maybe.  I don't usually comment on drummers, as I don't pay a lot of conscious attention to drumming, unless it's unusually good (or bad). I have a good system, so the drumming is usually as clear as it needs to be. Moon's drumming just demands to be heard, especially on this edition of Who's Next.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »

you're having us on here, aren't you or are you just a teenager who found his dads/grandads old records?

No, I'll be 60 next year.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »

you're having us on here, aren't you or are you just a teenager who found his dads/grandads old records?

No, I'll be 60 next year.

There's hope for all of us

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »

Don't quite understand your irony, Jules. It's radical for me, maybe.  I don't usually comment on drummers, as I don't pay a lot of conscious attention to drumming, unless it's unusually good (or bad). I have a good system, so the drumming is usually as clear as it needs to be. Moon's drumming just demands to be heard, especially on this edition of Who's Next.  

It's Moon, innit?  Knowing that Moon was an amazing drummer is one of the First Rules Of Rock.   Wink

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 11:47:21 AM »

Don't quite understand your irony, Jules. It's radical for me, maybe.  I don't usually comment on drummers, as I don't pay a lot of conscious attention to drumming, unless it's unusually good (or bad). I have a good system, so the drumming is usually as clear as it needs to be. Moon's drumming just demands to be heard, especially on this edition of Who's Next.  

It's Moon, innit?  Knowing that Moon was an amazing drummer is one of the First Rules Of Rock.   Wink

Jules

I get it now, it's like I've just said Hendrix was an ace guitarist. My credentials as a rocker are in pieces, then. Must be all those years of listening to folk- rock and the like.  Grin

Btw, have you heard that Mattacks guy who used to be ion the Fairport Convention? He's pretty good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: