TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 13, 2019, 12:49:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do you love?  (Read 17198 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« on: May 05, 2016, 12:11:37 AM »

I've recently been listening to a lot of music again after thinking for a while my love of the art form had left me.
I say listening to but it would be more accurate to say watching, footage and concerts and interviews.

So it occurred to me.  It will be no big surprise to hear that Page, Plant, Jones and Bonzo are my favourite combination of musicians to date . So setting them aside I started to think, who is my favourite drummer?  Bass playrr? Vocalist? Guitarist?

Who are yours?

I have a penchant for drummers and bass players who also sing.......I think Levon Helm and Geddy Lee are right up there and also Roger Taylor although he doesnt strictly fit the category. Strangely as much as I love the eagles, Don Henley doesnt feature here as he is only my fourth favourite eagle.  
Gilmore is only my fifth favourite floyd.
And so it goes on, with john being my least favourite beatle.......
 Edited to add Lars Ulrich in the same respect as Roger Taylor. ..... and all those underrated keyboard players, and, well, just Ian Anderson. .....

So who are your favourites?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:42:13 AM by abby (tank girl) » Logged

it'll be fine.......
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 01:03:58 AM »

My favourite guitarist of those I have seen is probably Rory Gallagher. My favourite bassist is Jack Bruce. Drummer is very difficult and really there are many that I truly appreciate. Today: Bonzo. Tomorrow: his son. Next week? Ringo. Lots of them are just great.

As to vocalists, well, that would depend upon the genre. Huey Lewis, perhaps. Or Joni. I know my old pal Big Dave would have said Sandy. The Billy Joel of the 1970s also ranks right up there, as does Percy, of course. Don't forget Aretha or Otis Redding.

It's all fun, isn't it.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:29:57 AM »

Whoops. Make that "our" old pal Big Dave, slip of the keyboard, there.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:47:23 AM »

It is fun :-)
It's also interchangeable on a daily basis.
Music had stopped being fun for me for a while but I seem to have found the enjoyment in it again and I am immersing myself in all sorts, mainly going back to what excited me when I was a teenager.
There are so many talented musicians out there, so many of them without much recognition.  Andy mentioned Rory Gallagher which reminded me one of my favourites is Rory Macleod, a unique and very thoughtful individual. ....the list could go on and on......

And andy, you need not apologise.

it'll be fine.......
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:48:32 AM »

Guitar:
Clarence White + Roger McGuinn (The Byrds) - country stringbender and 12-string maestro...in the same band!
Neil Young - nobody has more feel and abandoned joy than Neil for me.  Sometimes with added bonus Stephen Stills!
Tom Verlaine + Richard Lloyd (Television) - another case of being utterly spoiled for guitar genius in the same band.
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - expressive and creamy!
Mike Oldfield - he can pretty much do anything, but his lead electric can make your hair stand up on end.
Pete Townshend (The Who) - it's not all about solos, and Pete is the master of the rhythm guitar for my money.
Richard Thompson - fiery, jagged, unpredictable.  From the same stable that also brought us Jerry Donahue.
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) - his guitar playing seems to get overlooked because of his amazing songs and stellar singing.
Peter Buck (R.E.M.) - Peter always serves the song, and with style too.

Bass:
Paul McCartney (The Beatles) - he'll always be King Bass for me. The sheer invention of the man!
Mike Watt (Minutemen/fIREHOSE) - punk/funk thunderbroom machinery operator!
Jean-Jacques Burnel (The Stranglers) - JJ managed to compete against guitar and keys and make the bass the lead instrument.
Norman Watt-Roy (The Blockheads) - Jaw-dropping monster of staggering genius.
Chris Hillman (The Byrds) - Chris had clearly been listening to McCartney, but also stirred in country and jazz into the mix.
Ashley Hutchings (Fairport Convention/Steeleye Span/Albion Band) - Peggy had the power, but Ashley is the more imaginative bassman.
Stephen Stills (CSNY) - because sometimes my favourite bassists are guitar players. Listen to his work on the first CSN album!

Drums:
Keith Moon (The Who) - his whole life was a dynamic, thunderous and hugely entertaining drum solo.
Ringo Starr (The Beatles) - still the most underrated drummer in the world, his playing was always just right.
Gene Parsons (The Byrds) - nobody plays a fill or a rhythm quite like Gene did. The greatest country/rock drummer ever.
Billy Ficca (Television) - a taut, responsive, highwire-walking drummer.
John Densmore (The Doors) - Never been a jazz fan, but I love the way it influences a rock drummer. John is amazing.
Bev Bevan (The Move) - Bev rarely gets his due, but listen to the amazing way he plays on the Shazam album.
George Hurley (Minutemen/fIREHOSE) - Plays just about everything on his kit at once. Unstoppable!
Sly Dunbar - reggae sessionman extraordinaire. I play airdrums with him all the time, and rarely get the cymbal smash timing right!

I'll have left off several players, not to mention instruments there, but those are my main people.  (I'll no doubt do a part 2 later.)

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:16:43 AM »

As I'm at work at the moment, just throw one instrument in and think about the rest.

My favourite Hurdy Gurdy player, Anna Murphy.

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »

I find these things quite hard as I'm not a musician, so am unable to assess the technique, especially of drummers. Sometimes, there are individuals who stand out, even to me. I suppose John Bonham and Keith Moon come into that category. Neil Smith, the drummer with Alice Cooper on 'Killer' used to impress me too.

It's easier with 'lead' instruments such as guitar. I did once try to learn guitar, with little success, although it doesn't really give me great insight.

I'd have to go for Richard Thompson, obviously. Jimmy Page too - Led Zeppelin were the first band I ever saw live - in 1971 and have loved them ever since. Paul Kossoff of Free doesn't get mentioned often enough when great guitarists are listed. After them, probably David Gilmour, Joe Bonamassa, Steve Hackett and Joanne Shaw Taylor stand out.

There are so many singers - female - Sandy Denny, Kate Bush, Emmylou Harris and Emily Portman and male - Robert Plant, Paul Rodgers, Van Morrison, Elvis Costello, Jon Anderson and Ian Hunter. I've also got a soft spot for some less traditional singers, such as Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth.

Bass players are a bit like drummers in that I can't really appreciate the technique - I tend to notice those who play more like a lead instrument. Peggy strikes me as being like that, as does Andy Fraser of Free.

Keyboards - Rick Wakeman, Ray Manzarek and Verden Allen.

Fiddle - Swarb, Phil Beer.

Helicon - Ed Neuhauser
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »

Springing to mind:

Vocals : Roger Chapman, Kevin Coyne, Sandy Denny.

Keyboards : Rick Wakeman.

Guitar: John Martyn, John Renbourn, Gary Green (Gentle Giant), Gerry Garcia, Mick Ronson, and of course Rory Gallagher.

Drums : Rob Townsend.  (Family).
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »

Singers:
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) - If I ever want to feel both ecstatic and humbled by a vocalist then Fogerty's my man.
Michael Stipe (R.E.M.) - for that yearning, melancholy thing he did so well for so long.
Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield/CSNY/Manassas) - When Stephen was a young man his voice was a beautiful blend of honey and smoke.
Joseph Hill (Culture) - Bags of personality and character. Perfect timing. And so much warmth and good humour.
Neil Diamond - No, really. I just always loved his vocal tone/sound on those early records.
The Beach Boys - What a dysfunctional bunch. But they sure could sing.
Sinéad O'Connor - Not when she's shouty, but when she really sings. She just gets to me.
Michael Nesmith (The Monkees) - I think it's the twang. Can also yodel nicely!
The Beatles - I think we take them for granted. But they were great - especially when singing together.
Sandy Denny - A beautiful and totally honest voice. There was no artifice there. No vocal disguises. That's very rare.

Fiddle:
Steve Wickham (The Waterboys) - I didn't really think in terms of instruments that weren't guitars until I heard Steve play. I love him dearly.
Dave Swarbrick (Fairport Convention etc) - A complete master.

Uilleann pipes:
Paddy Moloney (The Chieftains) - An instrument I find utterly haunting and enchanting. Paddy's playing moves me to tears.
Vinnie Kilduff (In Tua Nua/The Waterboys) - His playing helped The Waterboys get delightfully lost in the sounds of Irish folk music in the 1980s.

Jules
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:11:06 AM by Jules Gray » Logged

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »

I'll have to think about this when I have a bit more time but I am amazed that nobody has yet mentioned John Entwhistle on bass. In a band where the roles were reveresed and the rhythm section became the lead instruments, he completely embraced that role. His playing could be frenetic but never capsized the song. A wonder to whatch and a thunder to hear.

I'm going to chuck in Nils Lofgren on guitar too. I first encountered him as a solo artist where his playing is melodic and lyrical but can explode into extraordinary fretwork fireworks when the situation demands. Those solo live shows in the early 80s were what captured the lead guitar role in my fantasy band at the time (with me as lead singer, obviously). He continues to do sterling work with the E Street Band but is somewhat dancing to someone else's tune (literally) in that role.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:06 AM »

I'll have to think about this when I have a bit more time but I am amazed that nobody has yet mentioned John Entwhistle on bass.

He's alright.  Wink

Actually, speaking as a massive Who fan (which I am), I have to admit to having some slight reservations about Entwistle's playing.  Not many, but a couple of niggles.  And that's why my list didn't include him.

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »

Guitar RT of course, Hendrix, Neil and Stephen, Nils Lofgren, Jerry Garcia, Ryan and Neal, Albert Lee
Vocals Sandy, CSN, Beach Boys, Everly Brothers, Chris While, Arthur Lee, Grace Slick Marty and Paul, Unta, Marriott
Bass Peggy , Jack Casady
Drums DM , Gerry, Moon

All round top blokes Martyn Joseph, Martin Stephenson,

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »

Guitar Hendrix [...] Albert Lee

I should have included Albert Lee.  What a player!  Jimi Hendrix too, an inexcusable omission from my list.  I don't listen to him much, but he remains the yardstick against whom everyone else is still measured.

And Steve Marriott!  No excuse for leaving him off my singers list.  Also Roy Harper, both as a singer and a guitar player.  I knew this would happen!

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »

Songwriters:
John Lennon + Paul McCartney (The Beatles) - Still the team to beat, still the greatest songbook in popular music.
Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices/Boston Spaceships etc etc) - The King of Hooks. His furious workrate is unmatched. Not everything is great, but when you put out as much music as this man does, that's going to be the unavoidable downside.
Pete Townshend (The Who) - Where anger, defiance, spirituality and intelligence meets catchy rock melodies.
Ray Davies (The Kinks) - A class act. His songs have become standards.
Bob Dylan - Redefined what a song could be. The master lyricist.
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) - Because of that run of hits. Even the b-sides were wonderful.
R.E.M. - The finest songwriting team of the 1980s.
Mike Scott (The Waterboys) - He's given us so many fantastic songs.
Joseph Hill (Culture) - For me, the greatest reggae songwriter.  And, yes, I'm including Bob Marley.
Roy Harper - One of a kind. Takes you on some amazing journeys.
Leonard Cohen - A true poet in singer's clothing.
Carole King + Gerry Goffin - They proved that pop music could also have quality.

Jules
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:46:39 AM by Jules Gray » Logged

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »

Guitar Hendrix [...] Albert Lee

I should have included Albert Lee.  What a player!  Jimi Hendrix too, an inexcusable omission from my list.  I don't listen to him much, but he remains the yardstick against whom everyone else is still measured.

And Steve Marriott!  No excuse for leaving him off my singers list.  Also Roy Harper, both as a singer and a guitar player.  I knew this would happen!

Jules

Some leftfield selections from me

Gilson the drummer from Squeeze
the fiddle player from Baka Beyond
... and Martin Simpson on guitar obviously.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »

Gerry Garcia.

Sorry Alan2, it hit me between the eyes it's JERRY Garcia!
Sorry to be pedantic!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »

Songwriters:
John Lennon + Paul McCartney (The Beatles) - Still the team to beat, still the greatest songbook in popular music.
Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices/Boston Spaceships etc etc) - The King of Hooks. His furious workrate is unmatched. Not everything is great, but when you put out as much music as this man does, that's going to be the unavoidable downside.
Pete Townshend (The Who) - Where anger, defiance, spirituality and intelligence meets catchy rock melodies.
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) - Because of that run of hits. Even the b-sides were wonderful.
Joseph Hill (Culture) - For me, the greatest reggae songwriter.  And, yes, I'm including Bob Marley.
Carole King + Gerry Goffin - They proved that pop music could also have quality.

Jules

Bob
Lennon
Difford and Tilbrook
Bob Kettle
RT
Ray Davies
Paul Simon
Unta
Arthur Lee
Danny and Richard of Embrace (the best "hook" lines ever)
Neil
Conor
Tim Hardin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 12:01:59 AM »

Very big yes to the Squeeze boys.
The reference to Embrace reminded me of Guy Garvey.
I think I may have been a bit harsh on Henley but stick my my Eagles rating of him   Tongue

Im also a long time David Gray fan and I know a lot of people can't stand him.

Oh and I need to throw Counting Crows in here too.....such a fun subject.....and Josh Homme........

it'll be fine.......
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »

So many great guitar players - Roy Gallagher, Jimmy Hendricks, Richard Thomson, Ray Cooder - I could go on! One of my top three though, is someone you've never heard of - Geoff Lawrence out of Slugworth.
https://www.reverbnation.com/biggerbabaa/song/14250575-ex-animals-wife

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 11:04:58 AM »

Songwriters:

Jules

After last night's showing, gotta add Ian McNabb to that list?

Can we add a subsection for lyrcists? In which cas I want to lob in Becker & Fagen.

Still haven't had time to consider all this properly. Maybe later.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: