TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:58:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choose The Set for 2017  (Read 56541 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »

The trouble is,and it has become more and more apparent, in the last few years that the Cropredy set is just the wintour set adjusted for whatever musician is at hand to spice up the Cropredy set, hence Tom Robinson and that Kershaw chap, they seem so fond of, polluting what was once the highlight of  a fairport fans year not to mention French rock operas, so awful that even the heavens complained bitterly.

Lol.  

If next year is just another 2010's run of the mill a little bit rubbish Cropredy set, I'd like to think there would be a second Battle of Cropredy Bridge.  In reality a couple of us would probably shed a tear and noone else would even notice.  

It all seems such a long time ago now...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »

It seems that lately at least 4 out of every five Cropredy sets have been a lot of filler and not much killer. I still hope they are planning great things for 17 but as the band gets older and the sets get shorter/ run out of material 15 minutes early, I have a bit of the fear. I do hope they prove me wrong.

The Dude abides
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 10:42:14 PM »

It seems that lately at least 4 out of every five Cropredy sets have been a lot of filler and not much killer. I still hope they are planning great things for 17 but as the band gets older and the sets get shorter/ run out of material 15 minutes early, I have a bit of the fear. I do hope they prove me wrong.

I suppose I will be told off for noting that Brooc ,at 66, produces 3 and three quarter hour sets, night after night.
However , in defence, last yrs set was shorter cos of Peggy's  injury.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »

The trouble is,and it has become more and more apparent, in the last few years that the Cropredy set is just the wintour set adjusted for whatever musician is at hand to spice up the Cropredy set, hence Tom Robinson and that Kershaw chap, they seem so fond of, polluting what was once the highlight of  a fairport fans year not to mention French rock operas, so awful that even the heavens complained bitterly.

Lol.  

If next year is just another 2010's run of the mill a little bit rubbish Cropredy set, I'd like to think there would be a second Battle of Cropredy Bridge.  In reality a couple of us would probably shed a tear and noone else would even notice.  

I'll throw one in to the mix David. I think we are at the stage where the majority of the audience are not attending Cropredy to see Fairports.
Back in the day , Fairport were the draw, now ,arguably,other bands, e.g Madness this year, become the principal pull.
This may be setting us up for the day , after 2017, when Cropredy Festival exists without Fairport and the Saturday Night headliner revolves.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 11:31:16 AM »

Hendo, speaking of revolving I remember "Sunday Night at the London Palladium", and they had a stage that revolved!   Roll Eyes Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »

Lol.  

I'll throw one in to the mix David. I think we are at the stage where the majority of the audience are not attending Cropredy to see Fairports.
Back in the day , Fairport were the draw, now ,arguably,other bands, e.g Madness this year, become the principal pull.
This may be setting us up for the day , after 2017, when Cropredy Festival exists without Fairport and the Saturday Night headliner revolves.

I don't think they'd pull FC completely, but who knows? They might all retire next year and rename the festival as The Cropredy Convention....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »

I refuse to be drawn into despair and misery with regards to Cropredy 2017.  Until I have cause not to, I still believe.

I'm well out of the loop in terms of FC news, rumours, gossip and the rest, so I'm intrigued by this statement. What do you mean? Is there concern that the 50th anniversary will be a damp squib?

Have to say, we haven't bothered going to a Wintour gig for many years. The setlists became uninspiring, so a fans' choice approach could potentially bring us back in 2017.

And my selection, FWIW, would be...

Seventeen Come Sunday
Walk Awhile (original, faster arrangement)
The Eynsham Poacher
Close to the Wind
Heart of the Song
Angel Delight
Crazy Man Michael
How Many Times
Claudy Banks
The Plainsman
Genesis Hall
Polly on the Shore
Journeyman’s Grace
John Barleycorn
Widow of Westmorland
Travelling by Steam
Clear Water
Honour and Praise
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:52:45 PM by Dubai Danny » Logged
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 06:02:19 PM »

50th will never be a damp squib.....unless we get a wet festival.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 07:49:02 PM »

I think the band going on hiatus (as the Americans say) after Cropredy 2017 is essential.  They need a major new mindset (and imho some new members) to keep me even vaguely (re-)interested.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 11:35:25 PM »

I think the band going on hiatus (as the Americans say) after Cropredy 2017 is essential.  They need a major new mindset (and imho some new members) to keep me even vaguely (re-)interested.

Does every thread about Fairport and a specific request the band made for next year have to deteriorate to the same arguments about bad Cropredy performances and lineups, album material, and whatever the complaint du jour is? How about for once people just stick to Dan's original question-a set list? I know everyone has a viewpoint, but it feels like every FC thread slides into the same discussion these days. IMHO.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »

Health issues notwithstanding, is there any possibility of Swarb being involved in the 50th? Or is the rift too large?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 06:29:22 AM »

Health issues notwithstanding, is there any possibility of Swarb being involved in the 50th? Or is the rift too large?

Here's hoping that those health issues have brought about some reconciliation all round (have Fairport mentioned Swarb onstage at all this tour?).

But those self same health issues sound pretty serious to me.  Either way, it's far too early to call.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »

Does every thread about Fairport and a specific request the band made for next year have to deteriorate to the same arguments about bad Cropredy performances and lineups, album material, and whatever the complaint du jour is? How about for once people just stick to Dan's original question-a set list? I know everyone has a viewpoint, but it feels like every FC thread slides into the same discussion these days. IMHO.

Well said.
Cheers
Peter
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 08:05:53 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the idea of a forum - discussion?  

No Left Turn Unstoned
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »

Lol.  

Is that the case? I can't believe anyone would pay for and commit to three days when the act they want to see is on the first night. If you wanted to tempt more people wouldn't it be better to put the "big act" on Friday?
I have always thought that the reason for a "more marketable" act (Jules Holland,Alice Cooper,Madness) was to increase the chances of "unenlightened" friends, spouses, partners being persuaded to join us faithful for a weekend in a tent.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2016, 08:39:51 AM »

Jules Holland

He's Jools, I'm

Jules

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »

I think the point being made was whether the same point needs making incessantly every time a set-list thread starts.....

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »

I think the point being made was whether the same point needs making incessantly every time a set-list thread starts.....

I'm fully aware of Robert's point.
Ok then, perhaps we need to herd up all those that have a differing opinion and make them have their own threads? Separate them out like Steeleye and Ralph sections are.
That way, we won't interfere with those that don't like friendly discourse.  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »

Should he recover to the point of being able to perform, while at his age and given the severity of his illness there must be some doubt about that, I would hope that all concerned are big enough men to bury the marchers and give him pride of place.
     Because he deserves it, and we deserve it too. Cropredy is always better for Swarb.

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »

Should he recover to the point of being able to perform, while at his age and given the severity of his illness there must be some doubt about that, I would hope that all concerned are big enough men to bury the marchers and give him pride of place.
     Because he deserves it, and we deserve it too. Cropredy is always better for Swarb.

Amen to that (even if I don't know what "marchers" mean in this context).

Jules

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: