TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 17, 2019, 04:29:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Gilmour documentary - Saturday 14th  (Read 10512 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »

Agreed - a pleasant enough rockumentary, but the whole thing had an air of "By the way, did I mention I've got a new album to plug ?" about it...

Was anyone expecting anything else?  

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »

Agreed - a pleasant enough rockumentary, but the whole thing had an air of "By the way, did I mention I've got a new album to plug ?" about it...

Was anyone expecting anything else?  

Jules

Not really  Smiley
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »

I have it V+'d ready to watch in the week, but I'm not surprised the new album was mentioned a few times  Roll Eyes

By the way, can you be awelots?

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »

I have it V+'d ready to watch in the week, but I'm not surprised the new album was mentioned a few times  Roll Eyes

I've spent many a happy hour in the company of awelots.

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »

I've spent many a happy hour in the company of awelots.
 Grin

Unfortunately, I've spent many boring hours in the company of awenones too  Undecided

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »

Watched it today.  Was particularly surprised at just how unsentimental he was about his mother, and how prepared he was to say he didn't miss her on national television.  This from a man who is loathe to give his opinions on much at all.

On the other hand, it was quite amusing to see Polly, his wife, freely admit that he doesn't function particularly well as a verbal communicator.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »

"The whole effect was nauseating. This was nothing more than a narcissistic, self-indulgent promo-reel."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/david-gilmour-wider-horizons-tv-review-whatever-happened-to-sex-drugs-and-rock-n-roll-a6735231.html

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »

He did the sex and drugs and rock 'n roll, he's seventy years old now. He's content with his family around him, enjoying the life he earned. His early years were, on a personal level, loveless, now he's surrounded by a big brood - rather than piss off to America leaving the kids behind like his parents, he builds his tours around the school holidays. He grew up. Stupid article.

Well I never did..
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »

What a ludicrously grudging and narrow-minded article. While the programme was largely an exercise in self-promotion, it was also moving (at times), offered some insight into the creative process and showed a guarded man who had found enough happiness in maturity to let his guard down.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »

I wonder who's idea this was ? Did David's manager ring up the BBC and ask for it, or did Yentob or the BBC ring Loasby and ask if they could do it ?
The guy is a musician so there had to be some content revolving around that. As I said, this doc has been shown two months after the album went to number one and his shows sold out purely because it's David Gilmour. The programme was about David Gilmour, so self promotion ? If you want to look at it like that fair enough, but it wasn't going to be about Roger Waters.  Smiley

Well I never did..
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 01:00:49 AM »

I haven't heard his latest album, but I honestly don't think "On an Island" can be beaten.  It is sublime, restful, tuneful and - yes - aural wallpaper. I like aural wallpaper - the sort of music that you can have playing all day and dip in and out of, letting waves of musical loveliness wash over you.... Can't do that with Bellowhead.  

Still haven't seen the documentary. At least it's recorded.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »

Finally got around to watching it.  Not nearly as awful as I'd been led to expect, although to be honest I never ever want to watch a documentary fronted by Yentob again.  He really is an uninteresting sycophantic arse.  As for Dave, sorry, David, well, he came across as a decent bloke although clearly far from fully engaged in the musical treadmill any more.  He can (clearly!) afford the luxury.  Ultimately, I came away far from convinced that showing us loads of footage of wealthy rural domestic bliss really constituted that good a use of my license fee....

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »

Finally got around to watching it.  Not nearly as awful as I'd been led to expect, although to be honest I never ever want to watch a documentary fronted by Yentob again.  He really is an uninteresting sycophantic arse.  As for Dave, sorry, David, well, he came across as a decent bloke although clearly far from fully engaged in the musical treadmill any more.  He can (clearly!) afford the luxury.  Ultimately, I came away far from convinced that showing us loads of footage of wealthy rural domestic bliss really constituted that good a use of my license fee....

Ha ha!  Quality review that.

Jules

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: