TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 25, 2019, 01:03:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 379263 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2180 on: January 07, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »

Anyone know of any that I might be interested in taking place in London 8-10 Jan (I'm down there for work)?

It’s not exactly a gig and I have no idea if this would be of interest to you, but I notice that Hadestown – the Anais Mitchell folk opera – is playing at the National Theatre on the 8th.  Normal tickets sold out ages ago (it had rave reviews), but the National always holds back some tickets for their ‘Friday Rush’ and ‘Day Ticket’ schemes.  Details here - https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/fridayrush?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_uK1-HQ3wIViOJ3Ch3aTwAnEAAYASAAEgIgsvD_BwE
Enjoy your visit to the Big Smoke.

I've seen "Hadestown" and had mixed thoughts about it - it's a superbly staged musical & the guy who plays the Hades figure is superb, sings like Tom Waits meets Jack Lukeman,  but, IMHO, the second half is very draggy and the parts of  two young lovers at the centre of the plot are seriously underwritten.  Most of the audience (full house!) when I went, however, clearly loved it.

BTW, the music is nothing like the stuff Anais Mitchell did when I saw her a few years back. I wouldn't call it a "folk opera "

It does like interesting...and many thanks for the idea, but as I'm not going to be there until the afternoon, there's no chance of a ticket, sadly.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #2181 on: January 08, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »

Will be starting the 2019 music season on Friday, followed by four other gigs during January.

Fri 11/01 - Edwina Hayes - Bury Met
Sat 12/01 - IQ - Bury Met
Wed 16/01 - Martyn Joseph - Band on the Wall Mcr
Fri 25/01 - Frank Turner - Victoria Warehouse Mcr
Wed 30/01 - Jarrod Dickenson - Deaf Institute Mcr (he would be a good choice for Cropredy too  Wink)

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #2182 on: January 08, 2019, 10:15:07 PM »

Will be starting the 2019 music season on Friday, followed by four other gigs during January.

Fri 11/01 - Edwina Hayes - Bury Met
Sat 12/01 - IQ - Bury Met
Wed 16/01 - Martyn Joseph - Band on the Wall Mcr
Fri 25/01 - Frank Turner - Victoria Warehouse Mcr
Wed 30/01 - Jarrod Dickenson - Deaf Institute Mcr (he would be a good choice for Cropredy too  Wink)

Saw Edwina on Sunday, you are in for a treat.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2183 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »

I'm going to see Guided By Voices in June.  London.  Tickets sold out in less than a minute.  Most of them probably went to touts.  I have no idea how I got lucky as I'm not that fast a typist.  Really excited though.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2184 on: January 11, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »

Roy HArper and KT Tunstall, a couple of months off yet, but they'll  be here soon enough.  Cool
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2185 on: January 11, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »

I'm going to see Guided By Voices in June.  London.  Tickets sold out in less than a minute.  Most of them probably went to touts.  I have no idea how I got lucky as I'm not that fast a typist.  Really excited though.

Jules

Didn't even know that was on. There are tickets around (I saw one at £89)...so I suspect your assertion is at least partially correct...but as the ticket sellers are the touts it all gets a bit confusing.  I'd be interested in seeing them, but I'm no way the fan, so I'm glad you got one.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2186 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »

Didn't even know that was on. There are tickets around (I saw one at £89)...so I suspect your assertion is at least partially correct...but as the ticket sellers are the touts it all gets a bit confusing.  I'd be interested in seeing them, but I'm no way the fan, so I'm glad you got one.

They announced a second night within minutes of the first night selling out.  Someone was up to something or other, but my brain is too naïve to figure out what.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2187 on: January 11, 2019, 03:48:48 PM »

You seen them before, Jules?

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2188 on: January 11, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »

You seen them before, Jules?

No, never.  They haven't played here in 15 years, and I don't think that I'd even heard of them 15 years ago.  I was probably too busy listening to Fairport.   Grin

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2189 on: January 11, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »

Eyeing Peter Noone's Herman's Hermits at the One World Theater this Sunday night.

We caught PN's free show at the Hatch Shell in Boston in 2002, the night after a Who concert.  He's quite entertaining.  "I'm Into Something Good" is one of the great pop songs of the 1960s.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2190 on: January 11, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »

Eyeing Peter Noone's Herman's Hermits at the One World Theater this Sunday night.

We caught PN's free show at the Hatch Shell in Boston in 2002, the night after a Who concert.  He's quite entertaining.  "I'm Into Something Good" is one of the great pop songs of the 1960s.

"Quite entertaining" must be the ultimate damning with faint praise.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2191 on: January 11, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »

Just one step up from "not as bad as you'd think".   Grin

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2192 on: January 11, 2019, 05:56:09 PM »

Just one step up from "not as bad as you'd think".   Grin

Jules

He's a guilty pleasure.  Smiley
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #2193 on: January 11, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »

Guilty pleasure! Only time I had the misfortune to meet him he was a complete a-****...
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2194 on: January 11, 2019, 08:34:55 PM »

Guilty pleasure! Only time I had the misfortune to meet him he was a complete a-****...

Faint praise indeed!  Grin
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #2195 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »

IQ tomorrow at Bury Met. Loved the band since 1985 when I bought theirvamasing debut "Tales from the Lush attic ", for various reasons I've never caught them live. Looking forward to it immensely.  

Happy mainly.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2196 on: January 15, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »

Megson at the Blue Boar in Maldon, Essex on 31 January. Never seen them live before so looking forward to seeing them. The Blue Boar is a small venue so should be interesting

Born to Run (but not very fast)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2197 on: January 16, 2019, 05:25:00 PM »

Just announced - Santana/Doobie Brothers at the Austin360 Amphitheater, July 9!

That's all I want for my 55th birthday!  Smiley
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #2198 on: January 17, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »

Off to see the wonderful IOTA at the Musician this evening.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #2199 on: January 19, 2019, 09:39:51 PM »

Chris Smither at Kings Place tomorrow.  Looking forward to an evening of blues from New Orleans.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: