TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 20, 2019, 09:26:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 124   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 409873 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2360 on: May 01, 2019, 12:56:52 AM »

In about an hour, Sammy Hagar and "The Circle," ACL Live!

This supergroup is composed of Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony (ex-Van Halen), Jason Bonham (needs no introduction), and guitarist Vic Johnson (of the BusBoys).  

I've avoided spoilers of the setlist, but I presume I will be treated to some Van Hagar, some "I Can't Drive 55" era Hagar, and a little Led Zeppelin.  They've also released two albums of originals, so I'll have time to go to the bathroom and wander around the mezzanine.   Smiley

Not exactly folk, but I think I'll have a good time.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2361 on: May 01, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »

Apparently Gary Kemp was playing Micky Jones*'s Gibson SG for some of the show... *of Man

What kind of a crazy word is it when these two people even know of each other's existence?!?! † Shocked

Jules
I think you're totally underestimating  the Ivor Novello Award winning Mr Kemp! Apart from being a fine songwriter, he is a superb guitarist and a close friend of Nick Mason  Shocked he was delighted to have been asked to play with Saucerful of Secrets and put in a great performance. Nothing that I could see said "naff 80's pop star"!!!

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #2362 on: May 01, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »

Alfa 9 tomorrow night, playing the final gig of their monthly residency at The Artisan Tap in Hartshill, Stoke.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #2363 on: May 01, 2019, 11:19:04 AM »

Nick Mason & his Sauce1rful of Secrets tonight at Cardiff St David's Hall. I am quite literally besides myself with excitement! †CheesyCheesyCheesy

Not a bad trick!! Enjoy the concert Grin

Have fun! Maybe Roger Waters will show up again! https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-joins-nick-mason/
His son was there though.... †Cheesy

It was quite brilliant †Smiley I am very happy

Iím off to see them at the Roundhouse on Saturday and very much looking forward to it. Iíve been working my way through the old albums in preparation. This has not gone down entirely successfully with other members of the family! Philistines!

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2364 on: May 01, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »

Nick Mason & his Sauce1rful of Secrets tonight at Cardiff St David's Hall. I am quite literally besides myself with excitement! †CheesyCheesyCheesy

Not a bad trick!! Enjoy the concert

Have fun! Maybe Roger Waters will show up again! https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-joins-nick-mason/
His son was there though....

It was quite brilliant  I am very happy

Iím off to see them at the Roundhouse on Saturday and very much looking forward to it. Iíve been working my way through the old albums in preparation. This has not gone down entirely successfully with other members of the family! Philistines!
I guarantee you will enjoy it! †Smiley I think the setlist is the same as it's been the last few weeks in the States, lots of Syd

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2365 on: May 01, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »

Not a bad trick!! Enjoy the concert

His son was there though....

It was quite brilliant †I am very happy

I guarantee you will enjoy it! †Smiley I think the setlist is the same as it's been the last few weeks in the States, lots of Syd

I was surprised at how well this music worked in live performance, especially since it was probably unfamiliar to a large part of the (very enthusiastic) audience in Houston.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2366 on: May 02, 2019, 06:25:58 AM »

A chum reports from last nightís Saucerful of Secrets show that someone decided to make a phone call during ĎSet The Controls...í. Didnít go down too well, apparently.  Shocked

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2367 on: May 02, 2019, 08:32:57 AM »

A chum reports from last nightís Saucerful of Secrets show that someone decided to make a phone call during ĎSet The Controls...í. Didnít go down too well, apparently. †Shocked
Something similar happened at Cardiff. The tw@t in front of us obscured our view with his mobile phone for most of the set, then proceeded to play his videos back at full volume when the band were bantering between songs  Angry mainly to cries of WTF from those around him. And when the Security man asked him to turn it off he had a mouthful of abuse. I really don't understand some people  Undecided

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2368 on: May 02, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »

A chum reports from last nightís Saucerful of Secrets show that someone decided to make a phone call during ĎSet The Controls...í. Didnít go down too well, apparently. †Shocked
Something similar happened at Cardiff. The tw@t in front of us obscured our view with his mobile phone for most of the set, then proceeded to play his videos back at full volume when the band were bantering between songs †Angry mainly to cries of WTF from those around him. And when the Security man asked him to turn it off he had a mouthful of abuse. I really don't understand some people †Undecided

Itís an increasing problem. Happens regularly when Iím at gigs and, like you, I canít understand why people caní Just enjoy the gig. I get so irate, I want to grab their phone and stamp on it  Angry

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2369 on: May 02, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »

Something similar happened at Cardiff. The tw@t in front of us obscured our view with his mobile phone for most of the set, then proceeded to play his videos back at full volume when the band were bantering between songs †Angry mainly to cries of WTF from those around him. And when the Security man asked him to turn it off he had a mouthful of abuse. I really don't understand some people †Undecided

Itís an increasing problem. Happens regularly when Iím at gigs and, like you, I canít understand why people caní Just enjoy the gig. I get so irate, I want to grab their phone and stamp on it †Angry
I think one day I will do just that!  Grin

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #2370 on: May 02, 2019, 09:22:10 PM »

Itís an increasing problem. Happens regularly when Iím at gigs and, like you, I canít understand why people caní Just enjoy the gig. I get so irate, I want to grab their phone and stamp on it †Angry
I think one day I will do just that!  Grin
I just don't get it, it makes me feel like I am getting old. I really can't understand why you would rather capture that special moment in a concert rather than being part of it, e.g. Filming meet on the ledge at cropredy, filming Vincent black lightning at a Richard Thompson concert, smoke on the water, paranoid. I would rather be there.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2371 on: May 02, 2019, 10:09:48 PM »

I think one day I will do just that! †Grin
I just don't get it, it makes me feel like I am getting old. I really can't understand why you would rather capture that special moment in a concert rather than being part of it, e.g. Filming meet on the ledge at cropredy, filming Vincent black lightning at a Richard Thompson concert, smoke on the water, paranoid. I would rather be there.

Exactly!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2372 on: May 03, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »

To be fair, the person wasnít even recording the gig. Genuinely, and even more inexplicably, he made a phone call.  Shocked

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #2373 on: May 05, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »

Robyn Hitchcock at St Mary's A Creative Space, Chester on Thursday.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2374 on: May 05, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »

Better Oblivion Community Center next Sunday. Our first visit to the Center.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #2375 on: May 05, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »

Show of Hands at the Cutty Sark.  The performance space underneath the ship (boat?) makes a really nice venue.  I saw ĎThe Pirates of Penzanceí there a few weeks ago Ė I liked the idea of seeing it in a nautical setting Ė and it works just as well with theatre.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2376 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »

The rather excellent St Edith Folk have got some VG gigs scheduled for the second half of 2019. mostly at the lovely Kemsing St Edith Hall, near Sevenoaks:

19 Jul                                      RICHARD DIGANCE                 +    Eric Sedge  £14.00
06 Sep                                     TREETOP FLYERS                    +    Copper Viper £12.50
20 Sep                                     THE ORANGE CIRCUS BAND     +    Friction Farm   £  9.00
04 Oct                                     STICK IN THE WHEEL               +    Ian Roland Trio  £11.00
18 Oct                                     THE GARY FLETCHER ACOUSTIC TRIO   +    Jeremy Tuplin  £10.00
01 Nov                                   JOHN OTWAY & WILD WILLY BARRETT   +    Summer & Smoke   £14.00
15 Nov                                   THE TRIALS OF CATO                           +    Ryan Fox                £11.00
06 Dec                                   THE DYLAN PROJECT                           * no support *               £17.00
14 Dec                                   ST AGNES FOUNTAIN                          * no support *               £18.00
                                              (to be held at St Dunstan's Church, Cranbrook)
20 Dec                                   THE ALBION Christmas BAND           * no support *                £22.00

I will definitely try to see Treetop Flyers, The Orange Circus Band & The Trials Of Cato - all new to me but I like their stuff on YouTube. Several other maybes.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2377 on: May 06, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »

Trying to decide whether I can be fussed to drag myself over to Brighton to see The Dovetail trio this evening. Would like to see them but brighton on a Bank Holiday has all sorts of disadvantages, not least of transport o get there and back.

Otherwise my next gig (sort of) will be Tubular Bells for Two on Friday. More of a show than a gig I think and I have no real idea what to expect but it has been highly acclaimed by critics and I am looking forward to it.

Then it is Otway & Barrett's farewell tour on Saturday which should be a lot of fun.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2378 on: May 06, 2019, 12:47:49 PM »

I saw "Tubular Bells for Two" at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago. It was terrific - enjoy!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2379 on: May 06, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »

I saw "Tubular Bells for Two" at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago. It was terrific - enjoy!

I'm intrigued!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 124   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: