TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 22, 2019, 08:19:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 364303 times)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #2300 on: April 01, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »

I've just realised Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash are playing in Maesteg in a week or two.  I love early Ash, and think the current  official version of the band are as dull as ditchwater....am I likely to enjoy this lot?

I was thinking of seeing them at the Beehive in Honiton on 13th April, but like you have never seen his current version of the band .
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2301 on: April 01, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »

I've just realised Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash are playing in Maesteg in a week or two.  I love early Ash, and think the current  official version of the band are as dull as ditchwater....am I likely to enjoy this lot?

I would have thought so. I've seen them four times in the last four years I think, and they've always been excellent.
One year they did Argus in full, and they always play plenty from the the early days. And he always seems to be enjoying himself (and ditto for the rest of the band).
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2302 on: April 01, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »

I was thinking of seeing them at the Beehive in Honiton on 13th April, but like you have never seen his current version of the band .

I saw them a couple of years ago playing an acoustic version of Argus and they were excellent.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2303 on: April 01, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »

I saw them on 24 March (brief review on Recent Gigs thread). They were excellent. The first half was the whole of the New England album, though not in order. The second half was a selection of material from across the classic years without overly heavily relying on Argus. I have seen Martin's band many times and this may be the best I have ever seen them. It takes his voice a few songs to warm up these days but in every other respect they were on fire and true to the sound and feel of the original band without taking themselves too seriously. I had a thoroughly enjoyable evening and definitely recommend you give them a go.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2304 on: April 01, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »

You just reminded me that I had seen that Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash were playing locally to me, so I just checked it out.  And it is this Friday, when I'll be on a plane home from Africa.  So close, but yet...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2305 on: April 01, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I will consult my oracle (aka the cash point) and all being well will proceed with enthusiasm.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #2306 on: April 02, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »

Merry Hell at Ulverston first time since the tansads in the early nineties at Preston guild hall

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2307 on: April 02, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »

Three in one week, all at the historic Paramount Theater in downtown Austin:

4/14 - Craig Ferguson
4/17 - Joan Baez (Fare Thee Well Tour)
4/20 - Seth Meyers

Greatly looking forward to all three, especially since I can cross the legendary Ms. Baez off my bucket list.  Diamonds and Rust, indeed.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #2308 on: April 02, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »

4/14 - Craig Ferguson
4/20 - Seth Meyers

Greatly looking forward to all three, especially since I can cross the legendary Ms. Baez off my bucket list.  Diamonds and Rust, indeed.
I remember being at cropredy in 1989 and overhearing a couple of fans dicussing Joan who insisted on pronouncing her name baize I think it might have been the same people who mentioned the great Fairport member Simon Nicholas

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #2309 on: April 02, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »

Difficult choice tomorrow. We have Steeleye Span at De Montfort Hall and Lavinia Blackwall and her new band Stilton at the Musician. I love Lavinia's voice so much, so that is where I'll be.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2310 on: April 02, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »

Off to see King Creosote at The Hall in Lancaster tomorrow. Despite the name, it's quite a small venue and will be packed as it's sold out. Last gig there was fellow Fence Collective member Pictish Trail.

On Saturday I may well be going along to see Dan Haywood and friends who are playing a benefit gig in town to raise money for JDRF as Simon, the bass player in Pill Fangs (one of Dan's bands), died earlier in the year due to complications to do with his diabetes.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2311 on: April 02, 2019, 09:52:48 PM »

4/14 - Craig Ferguson
4/20 - Seth Meyers

The Fare Thee Well tour has been going on nearly as long as Elton's but that is a mark of the affection in which she is held by her audience. She was terrific at the Royal Albert Hall last year at the beginning of the tour. To all appearances she is still at the height of her powers even if her voice has deepened and coarsened a little (which I like). I have seen Joan many times over the last 35 years and she has been wonderful every time, especially when she was touring the Gone From Danger album with a band. It saddens me that I may never get the chance to see her again.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2312 on: April 02, 2019, 10:46:27 PM »

Difficult choice tomorrow. We have Steeleye Span at De Montfort Hall and Lavinia Blackwall and her new band Stilton at the Musician. I love Lavinia's voice so much, so that is where I'll be.

.....and I have gone for the Steeleye option......
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #2313 on: April 03, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »

Michael Chapman with Bridget St John, B J Cole and Sarah Smout at St Mary's Creative Space, Chester tomorrow.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2314 on: April 03, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »

Michael Chapman with Bridget St John, B J Cole and Sarah Smout at St Mary's Creative Space, Chester tomorrow.

I would indeed be there (like a shot)...IF I wasn't going to see the Sleaford Mods at the, er, Live Rooms in, um, Chester the same night.  One can't do it all.  You show me yours and I'll show you mine (you might not enjoy that, I suspect)  Wink Smiley Grin

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2315 on: April 06, 2019, 12:09:02 PM »

Nicole Atkins this week. I’m not familiar with her work but my go-to guru on all thing New Jersular assures me it’ll be a hoot.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2316 on: April 06, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »

James Warren tonight in Shoreham, touring as The Korgis but actually, as I understand it, playing songs from The Korgis, Stackridge & his own solo repertoires. Looking forward to it.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2317 on: April 07, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »

James Warren tonight in Shoreham, touring as The Korgis but actually, as I understand it, playing songs from The Korgis, Stackridge & his own solo repertoires. Looking forward to it.

Should be fun.  I miss Stackridge when they're not around.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #2318 on: April 07, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »

I was a fan from the very early days and I miss them too.

The real Stackridge haven't been around since 2010 when Mutter left again. Warren and Davis staggered on until 2015, being the support band to themselves as the Korgis. The band name was formally retired in 2015 because Warren/Davis thought they'd make more money just as Korgis. Davis then left the band, I believe. Warren tours as "The Korgis - with James Warren", apparently.

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2319 on: April 07, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »

I was a fan from the very early days and I miss them too.

The real Stackridge haven't been around since 2010 when Mutter left again. Warren and Davis staggered on until 2015, being the support band to themselves as the Korgis. The band name was formally retired in 2015 because Warren/Davis thought they'd make more money just as Korgis. Davis then left the band, I believe. Warren tours as "The Korgis - with James Warren", apparently.

Not entirely correct. As you say, Mutter left after the sublime A Victory for Common Sense album and a version of the band with Warren & Davis at the helm carried on until 2015. They were incidentally terrific live and I thoroughly recommend the CD and/or DVD of their final gig in December 2015 titled The Final Bow. They did indeed tour briefly as The Korgis in early 2015.  The fact of the matter is however that after best part of 45 years of an extremely fractious relationship (Davis sacked Warren from the original line up of Stackridge and walked away from The Korgis after their first album and again after their comeback album and has been described repeatedly by Waren as "difficult") they could barely stand to be in the same room as each other and decided to call a day, both intending to work in future with people who, at this time of their lives, did not cause so much interpersonal stress. Andy Davis's Emergency Love album is a complete triumph imho. I have not heard any of the DLM stuff. James's Innocent Bystander is patchier to my ears but sufficiently Korgis like that he decided to revive the band alongside one of the other original members John Baker.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: