TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 19, 2021, 01:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Dylan Bootleg Series news  (Read 19115 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »

It's arrived!
Unfortunately there was an import duty to pay of £119.36 to pay.

Ouch City!   Sad

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »

It's arrived!
Unfortunately there was an import duty to pay of £119.36 to pay. (Which means I'm not too popular with Mrs Bill!)
Mine is number 3008 out of the 5000 issued.
I may be away for a while now!

you'll have to lay off the beer for a week or so to pay for that! the inhumanity of it all

The Dude abides
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »

I need someone, Bill, Jules, Gub, to talk to me about being a completist cos it's never been something i have ever felt motivated to do.
I have one version of Sailors Life. Do i want the version without Swarb on it ? No.
Do i want to have the original version of Stairway to Heaven played on the Indonesian nose flute? No.
So help me out lads and explain the compulsion.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »

I need someone, Bill, Jules, Gub, to talk to me about being a completist cos it's never been something i have ever felt motivated to do.
I have one version of Sailors Life. Do i want the version without Swarb on it ? No.
Do i want to have the original version of Stairway to Heaven played on the Indonesian nose flute? No.

I can't help you. I am not a completist by any stretch, as evidenced by my only buying the 2 disc version of this. I understand the compulsion with Dylan though. There are so many gems amongst his rare and unreleased work, particularly from periods when the official releases were not so strong. By and large with other artists I don't feel the need for multiple versions of the same song. Except Sloth.

By the way, had it not been for the Swarbless version of A Sailor's Life, I might never have learned to love the song. I didn't like the original for years. The Swarbless version drew me back to it. I didn't buy it for completism though. Watching The Dark was released in the early days of my RT fandom and much of the material on it was out of print at that point. It was the only way for me to hear a lot of music by an artist of whom my collection at that time was, at best, nascent. It is still probably the best RT compilation except for Guitar Vocal.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »

Maybe you don't have an addictive personality, Hendo.  Did you never collect anything as a kid?  It's pretty much the same thing.  "I must collect the set."  Maybe it's a sign of a dormant hunter/gatherer instinct.  Or maybe it's indicative of being on the autistic spectrum.  If you don't have it, be glad - be free!  It's often more of a curse than a pleasure, if I'm being honest.

Jules

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »

I would consider myself to be a collector rather than a completist when it comes to Dylan, mainly because It would be almost impossible to track everything down (a copy of the first pressing of "Freewheelin'" with a different track listing recently sold for $35000)
This is by far the most expensive set I have ever bought and I really thought long and hard about it.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I recently stopped smoking and wanted to treat myself to something with some of the money I had saved.
Having looked into this set I found it was something I really wanted, so thought "what the heck!"
Also, although I would never sell the set, once I am no longer around my family may want to and I am sure it will at least keep its value.
If you haven't seen it, try this.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gB305OESUE

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2015, 05:24:47 PM »

Thanks both. No , I've never had the collector thing Jules, not even as a kid. Occasionally musical shaky things have to be bought but it's not addictive. I know a drummer who has 950+ pieces of percussion. He has just bought the house next to his ,to house his collection.
I had a period when i bought gear for caving and climbing but it was all, obviously, vital! Never was a serious gear freak.
I'd never refuse a climbing or music biog though.......and i can't let them go but It's not really a collection per se.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2015, 05:29:59 PM »

I would consider myself to be a collector rather than a completist when it comes to Dylan, mainly because It would be almost impossible to track everything down (a copy of the first pressing of "Freewheelin'" with a different track listing recently sold for $35000)
This is by far the most expensive set I have ever bought and I really thought long and hard about it.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I recently stopped smoking and wanted to treat myself to something with some of the money I had saved.
Having looked into this set I found it was something I really wanted, so thought "what the heck!"
Also, although I would never sell the set, once I am no longer around my family may want to and I am sure it will at least keep its value.

Cheers Bill. i'm sure Mark and Nigel will be heavily in to this when i see them next week.
I think being able to buy something as a complete indulgence is wonderful.
Our van , was that and it's been a joy!
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »

I can't help you. I am not a completist by any stretch, as evidenced by my only buying the 2 disc version of this. I understand the compulsion with Dylan though. There are so many gems amongst his rare and unreleased work, particularly from periods when the official releases were not so strong. By and large with other artists I don't feel the need for multiple versions of the same song. Except Sloth.

By the way, had it not been for the Swarbless version of A Sailor's Life, I might never have learned to love the song. I didn't like the original for years. The Swarbless version drew me back to it. I didn't buy it for completism though. Watching The Dark was released in the early days of my RT fandom and much of the material on it was out of print at that point. It was the only way for me to hear a lot of music by an artist of whom my collection at that time was, at best, nascent. It is still probably the best RT compilation except for Guitar Vocal.

Sorry Al, should probably have said collector rather than completist.
Blood on the tracks is one of my regular return to albums but i wouldn't want any other versions of the songs. I have friends who do not understand this mentality!!!!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »

Stop it, Bill, I am drooling envy all over my laptop.

Blood on the tracks is one of my regular return to albums but i wouldn't want any other versions of the songs. I have friends who do not understand this mentality!!!!

Well that's one instance where you really might be missing out.  The alternate masters are really worth hearing, only if it's just once.  No, really.  You'd be mad not to.  Mad, I say, quite mad!!

*sound of men taking Jules away, foaming, kicking and screaming*

Jules

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2015, 08:00:43 AM »

18 albums. £500 ish ?
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »

18 albums. £500 ish ?
And already fetching more on eBay!

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »

18 albums. £500 ish ?

Blimey!
Listened to them all yet??
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »

18 albums. £500 ish ?

Blimey!
Listened to them all yet??
Not yet!

JohnP69

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »

3 disc vinyl version now at £61 on Amazon
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »

Bill, looks like you'll be getting an extra gift and I'll be getting even more envious:

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/12/04/still-on-the-cutting-edge-over-200-live-bob-dylan-tracks-gifted-to-purchasers-of-18-cd-box-set/

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2015, 09:52:13 AM »

Bill, looks like you'll be getting an extra gift and I'll be getting even more envious:

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/12/04/still-on-the-cutting-edge-over-200-live-bob-dylan-tracks-gifted-to-purchasers-of-18-cd-box-set/

Jules

Man, that sucks. I would be more excited about that than the studio stuff. I would definitely buy that if it was released commercially, in whatever format.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »

Jules
That's a very welcome surprise!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 09:15:32 AM »

'Cut price' 6CD set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutting-Edge-1965-1966-Bootleg-Vol-12/dp/B015JXIA4K?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=0SS63947Z47JATV0JD82&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B015JXIA4K&linkCode=xm2&tag=lioswebsit-21

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2016, 09:54:55 AM »

Thanks.  OK, I'm finally going in.  Shall give up on my dream of getting the complete version.

Jules

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: