TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 13, 2018, 09:52:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Underrated / Overrated Albums?  (Read 15032 times)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 05:53:44 PM »

I have always loved Back in Line , I remember seeing them play it live and the band getting some stick from some of the audience because they were not playing the old stuff.  I also like their rendition of Rag Doll .
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »

I enjoyed Back In Line too at the time. I remember the reviews saying it was a "return to form" after Sails Of Silver - and now it's referred to as part of "the wilderness years"!
Brian D

Loc: London

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »

As this topic has been revived, I'd like to re-state my view that Bedlam Born is an underrated album, for the reasons I gave in my post on 20th August 2015.

There are some who do not like the album's version of White Cliffs of Dover. For me however, It is an original and slightly disturbing take on a well known song. Experimental? Indeed it is. But where would Steeleye be if they had not experimented? It could be argued that most of their early work, by its very nature, was experimental.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »

As this topic has been revived, I'd like to re-state my view that Bedlam Born is an underrated album, for the reasons I gave in my post on 20th August 2015.

There are some who do not like the album's version of White Cliffs of Dover. For me however, It is an original and slightly disturbing take on a well known song. Experimental? Indeed it is. But where would Steeleye be if they had not experimented? It could be argued that most of their early work, by its very nature, was experimental.

Agreed. Gay Woods shook the band up (in many ways, I gather) and added something riveting at a time when it was much needed.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Local Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 10:43:41 PM »

I too like Bedlam Born, although not the version of White Cliffs. The majority of the other tracks seriously rock.

Paul

chrish9132

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »

Commoners Crown is their most under rated I think being largely overshadowed by the possibly over rated All Around My Hat. I personally think Crown is the hidden gem in the catalogue; Little Sir Hugh, Long Lankin, Galtee Farmer, Weary Cutters - one of Maddy's finest moments! Rocking out at the end of Elf Call. Great album. Hat has its moments, but there are some weak points; never thought Ushers Well sounsed as good as the live version and Sum Waves and Cadgwith Anthem are flat points for me.
Phil Perry

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »

And the album cover of CC is one of the my favourites from any band, whilst that on "Hat" is one of the worst ...
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

Commoners Crown is their most under rated I think being largely overshadowed by the possibly over rated All Around My Hat. I personally think Crown is the hidden gem in the catalogue; Little Sir Hugh, Long Lankin, Galtee Farmer, Weary Cutters - one of Maddy's finest moments! Rocking out at the end of Elf Call. Great album. Hat has its moments, but there are some weak points; never thought Ushers Well sounsed as good as the live version and Sum Waves and Cadgwith Anthem are flat points for me.

I love Commoner's Crown and agree it has some absolute classics on it. As far as 'Hat' is concerned - awful cover but some great tracks. One of my favourite of those tracks (and one I've only ever seen live once) is 'Bachelor's Hall' - I'd love to hear it live one more time.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 06:45:30 PM »

the new Mojo magazine has the top 10 Steeleye albums in a feature on the band. They include Maddy and Tim and the Woods band.

The Dude abides
chrish9132

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »

I have to say I think the All Around My Hat LP cover is great. Nothing else like it actually.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »

the new Mojo magazine has the top 10 Steeleye albums in a feature on the band. They include Maddy and Tim and the Woods band.

Interesting selection!

10 - Dodgy Bastards
9 - Rocket Cottage
8 - Commoner's Crown
7 - Below The Salt
6 - Parcel of Rouges
5 - Summer Solstice
4 - Woods Band
3 - Ten Man Mop
2 - Please to See The King
1 - Hark! The Village Wait
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Local Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 08:59:56 AM »

6 - Parcel of Rouges

Um, Parcel of Rogues... As for ignoring Wintersmith, well, tastes differ. Obviously.

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »

Steeleye Span have issued many very good albums. Dodgy Bastards is very good, but only one great one.

Hark! the Village Wait.

For me its up there with Big Pink,liege and lief,Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »

Well, as has been said, tastes differ. I really like 'Hark the Village Wait', but I certainly don't think it's their best. 'Below The Salt', 'Please to See The King' and 'Commoners Crown' are my faves. I can't comment on 'The Woods Band' or 'Summer Solstice' as I've not heard either of them, but I certainly don't think 'Rocket Cottage' is anywhere near the top 10. Some of the more recent ones (last 20 years or so) are completely overlooked. 'Wintersmith', 'They Call Her Babylon' and 'Bloody Men' for instance. These lists are so subjective as to be worthless, but they do inspire some interesting debate.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Phil Perry

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:42 PM »

Yes, tastes obviously differ .... and how on earth Now we are Six, Storm Force 10 and Time are not in the top 5 i'll never know  Roll Eyes
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »

I wouldn't have had Ten Man Mop in there either. Apart from Gower Wassail, the rest of the album doesn't really do it for me.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »

I think this is one of the issues with Steeleye - there is no definitive era which everyone loves.  Although the situation is a little more complicated with Fairport than it used to be (there will always be someone telling you Red & Gold is better than WWDOOH, and that Swarb was rubbish all along), as a general rule, virtually everyone recognises those first 5 Fairport albums contain some of the finest music ever made (and then there was other stuff afterwards that was bloody good too).  Also, Steeleye's music and career hasn't been properly curated in order to create a definitive history.  Where's the classic box set?  Where's the unreleased gems from x or y period.  I do think the band have been appallingly served by others at time, and, sadly (all imho only), continue to be.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »

I think this is one of the issues with Steeleye - there is no definitive era which everyone loves.  Although the situation is a little more complicated with Fairport than it used to be (there will always be someone telling you Red & Gold is better than WWDOOH, and that Swarb was rubbish all along), as a general rule, virtually everyone recognises those first 5 Fairport albums contain some of the finest music ever made (and then there was other stuff afterwards that was bloody good too).  Also, Steeleye's music and career hasn't been properly curated in order to create a definitive history.  Where's the classic box set?  Where's the unreleased gems from x or y period.  I do think the band have been appallingly served by others at time, and, sadly (all imho only), continue to be.....

Perhaps the reason that there isnt an agreed definitive era for Steeleye is down to consistency. There is a much more linear progression, especially between Hark and All Around My Hat as they became more rocky and commercial. There doesnt seem to be a backward step at any point, as if Hat was always the intended end point (I'm sure it wasnt!). From a musical point of view, the line-up changes didn't seem to cause as much upheaval as with fairport, perhaps helped by having Maddy as (co-)lead vocalist. Whereas with Fairport a line-up change might result in Leige and Lief, but you could get a Rosie or Gottle o Geer. With Steeleye there is definitely more consistency of style and quality, and i'd venture that if you like any one Steeleye album there's a better chance you'd like another from a different era/line-up than would be the case with Fairport.

Agree with much of what you say though.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »

That’s been happening to me a lot recently too. I might have that checked out... Grin

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »

That’s been happening to me a lot recently too. I might have that checked out... Grin

I'm infectious.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: