TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 04, 2024, 06:24:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2016  (Read 103193 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2016, 05:18:02 PM »

So a minibus isn't a van?

It's all about the number of seats, windows, and degree of comfort, innit?  I've gigged in both.  They are not the same.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2016, 06:44:31 PM »

Grin Grin
It's all about the number of seats, windows, and degree of comfort, innit?  I've gigged in both.  They are not the same.
Jules

Still playing the smaller venues, Jules?  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »

"Tonight, for one night only, in my neighbours Smart car..."  Wink

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »

Still playing the smaller venues, Jules?  Grin

If only.  I've done one gig in the past two years, and that was a set of cover songs.   Sad

Jules

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »

To be fair, it's a minibus, not a van. Sprawling out amongst the kit in the back of a transit whilst driving hundreds of miles, whilst enjoyable in our youth, is not a pursuit best followed beyond 30.

Not according to road fund taxation classes.

Blimey Chasps, it was a throw away word. They call it a van.
We have a camper van. It has a bed in it. It has seats in it. We call it a van!
Actually we call her Shirley and she will be available for tourist groups during Cropredy , at the usual times. The usual facilities will be available for those people who availed themselves of the tour last year.
She's having her leisure battery charged tomorrow!
If you type leisure my spell checker turns it in to lead urge. Just thought I'd share.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »

To be fair, it's a minibus, not a van. Sprawling out amongst the kit in the back of a transit whilst driving hundreds of miles, whilst enjoyable in our youth, is not a pursuit best followed beyond 30.

Not according to road fund taxation classes.

Blimey Chasps, it was a throw away word. They call it a van.

Calm thyself, Hendo.  Personally I thought Andy's retort was very witty.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2016, 08:54:18 PM »

If you type leisure my spell checker turns it in to lead urge. Just thought I'd share.

My spell check changed Simone De Beauvoir into Simone De Beaver the other day, which made me laugh for a ridiculously long time!
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »

...ps muted talk from Peggy of a 2017 tour 'stateside' .

I'd be thrilled if Fairport Convention returned to the USA.  I saw the three-piece (Ric, Chris, and Simon) incarnation in 2006 & 2007 at an Ohio venue that no longer exists (The Winchester) but haven't had the pleasure of witnessing the Pegg/Conway rhythm section firsthand since 2002 in California.  

Gentlemen of FC: if you can work Cleveland OH into a future tour, I'll attend the gig(s) and round up many music-loving friends to join me as I can.  Such a concert would be for me one of the highlights of 2017 or whenever.  
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2016, 06:11:17 PM »

My spell check changed Simone De Beauvoir into Simone De Beaver the other day, which made me laugh for a ridiculously long time!

Ah ,Simone De Beaver!!
'The Postman Only Comes Twice.' Sheena must never know I was in that film!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2016, 12:18:10 AM »

Back from part the second, and what a great night it has been, some new numbers and good banter, and yes Roger did join in for MotL as well as a guest appearance from Anna Ryder, not putting up a setlist as I haven't got a clue about spoiler buttons etc, and I'm doing this on my phone, if you are going to a gig you will not be disappointed, if you haven't got tickets yet, what are you waiting for.... Happy days....ps muted talk from Peggy of a 2017 tour 'stateside' .

That last sentence makes me happy at the prospect!

In the words of Fox Mulder, I want to believe.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2016, 05:24:08 PM »

Across this thread only about 7'or 8'comments about the gigs. Does this signify something?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2016, 06:10:14 PM »

Across this thread only about 7'or 8'comments about the gigs. Does this signify something?

Yes.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »

I think it says more about the TAW demographic than it does about the band. My social media are regularly updated with 'sold out' notices from Fairport Towers, so I would guess that they're doing something right?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2016, 11:22:56 AM »

Yes.

No!!

We went to Stoke on Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very poor turnout as the locals only like northern soul or heavy metal. The band seemed to know a lot of the audience and so did we , and the gig was surprisingly intimate again for a three quarters empty large hall. Well done to the band for the effort they put in, an excellent show and setlist laced with a lot of good humour (especially the platypus joke!!).
For the first time for ages we will be taking in a second date, probably Shrewsbury as there is a good gap between.
Recommended. Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »

Yes.

No!!

We went to Stoke on Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very poor turnout as the locals only like northern soul or heavy metal. The band seemed to know a lot of the audience and so did we , and the gig was surprisingly intimate again for a three quarters empty large hall. Well done to the band for the effort they put in, an excellent show and setlist laced with a lot of good humour (especially the platypus joke!!).
For the first time for ages we will be taking in a second date, probably Shrewsbury as there is a good gap between.
Recommended. Grin

Yes....but Bellowhead and Show of Hands both sold out Victoria Hall last yr and they don't do a lot of metal or northern soul! Grin
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2016, 12:14:49 PM »

It's not a cheap tour either, tickets comparable to Bellowhead and more than SoH, which must have some impact on sales, plus its a "between albums" one as well.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:45 PM »

Well, I have to say that I thought that the Edinburgh show was terrific.  The Queen's Hall gig had an excellent turnout and I'm sure that there will have been few, if any, disappointed attendees.
All the boys were in great form, both personally and musically and the set list was a treat. Great night.

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »

Yes.

No!!

Recommended. Grin

Yes....but Bellowhead and Show of Hands both sold out Victoria Hall last yr and they don't do a lot of metal or northern soul! Grin

As you may know I would have gone in the opposite direction for one of those and the other clashed with Danny and the Champs.

Believe me Stoke attendances are generally poor . I saw one band at Cropredy on the Saturday and then in Stoke on the Monday when we were the only ones there.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2016, 07:38:24 PM »

I noticed Chrs Leslie, on f/book , said they had a long drive in the van today.  Grin
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »

I noticed Chrs Leslie, on f/book , said they had a long drive in the van today.  Grin

You're like a dog with a bone Dave!!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: