TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:25:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R A H May 2016  (Read 64263 times)
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »

I caught Ralph on Radio 2 Friday morning, talking about the show and singing a couple of songs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b076zw4k

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 05:23:17 PM »

We have a spare ticket in the Arena because sadly one of our party cannot now make it Sad
Would like to sell at face value and can post to someone or hand over on the night.
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 12:24:43 AM »

This one.....around 5-5.30?

See you there then...

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »

This one.....around 5-5.30?

See you there then...

All packed, ready for the off 9.00am Tomorrow, having a few days in the smoke re-living the days of my youth, hope to meet up at the https://www.thequeensarmskensington.co.uk/ on Thursday, Happy days. Safe Journey all.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 05:19:14 AM »

I'm going to be late, sorry, other things this week mean I'm not going to get free as early on Thirsday afternoon as I'd like. 6ish probably unfortunately

gmf (Giles)

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 08:48:32 AM »

I'd love to have been at the RAH to see Ralph, but unfortunately it clashes with Show of Hands (& friends) Folk themed Rhine River cruise, which also starts tomorrow! Be thinking of the RAH though - hope a CD or DVD will follow!
Mark J Salt

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »

Spellbinding first half, full vote result to be on website in a few days. First bonus of the night as an extra he added in the No. 21 song. Has also introduced the RM50 to the world of live performance, and very nice it sounds too.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »

And the second half was also superb!
Three standing ovations.
Love that man and his music!

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »

A night to remember.....superb.

Someone knocked his beer over behind me & my shoes & bag got covered in beer. At least he *told* me, which is more than another guy did last week, when my coat (over the back of my chair) soaked up their beer fior over 30 minutes before I noticed. Why not just apologise & suggest I move it??

Mark J Salt

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 01:56:53 PM »

A night to remember.....superb.

Someone knocked his beer over behind me & my shoes & bag got covered in beer. At least he *told* me, which is more than another guy did last week, when my coat (over the back of my chair) soaked up their beer fior over 30 minutes before I noticed. Why not just apologise & suggest I move it??
Sorry to hear that Chris, wasn't' me I would never allow my beer to be be so unruly, I agree it was a night to remember, quote of the night from some middle aged city gent type near us to his friend 'So what's he like then, has he been on X factor'  I think he should have been there on Wednesday for Will.I.am. Hope by the end of the evening he had found out what he is like and that X factored performers wouldn't stand a chance with the likes of our Ralphie competing.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 06:25:46 PM »

I was in one of the boxes, with some people who knew a bit about Ralph, and the other one who clapped politely...if they did at all. Me - edge of seat and clapping lots, though I spared them my singing....

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »

It was a relaxed Ralph in good voice in the 'village hall' There are far too many songs to choose a top 20, no Peppers and Tomatoes or Hands of Joseph in the list....here are the songs played...Lovely atmosphere. A stunning performance plus a very nice souvenir programme.

Maginot Waltz
Nanna's song
Nettle Wine
Michael in the garden
Tequila sunset
Barges
First and Last man
First song
In the dreamtime
Naomi
Zimmerman Blues
The Ferryman
Mr. Connaughton
Let me down easy
You well meaning
Hiring Fair
Streets of London
Summer Lightning
Around wild cape horn
Clare to here
West 4th street & Jones

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Grace

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2016, 08:31:47 PM »

Fabulous evening - nice seats in the stalls, nobody tipped any wine or beer near me.... Grin
The set list was perfect (14 out of my 20 choices were played), Ralph was in fine voice and the new RM50 has a really nice sound.  All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening.
Mark J Salt

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2016, 08:39:17 PM »

Forgot to mention the lady in the arena a couple of rows behind me who could hum just about every song in the first half, unfortunately she was way out of tune on all of them, I know we all do it but  it did  get a bit comedic at times. after the break it seemed to be less noticeable.
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »

I really hope there is a CD of this (they've already designed the artwork).  And, can we now have a 21 - 40 concert?  No beer tipped over where we were.  I saw Chris's reaction - was it during Streets of London Chris?  And why were there so many empty seats at the front of the Arena?  Something must have gone wrong somewhere.
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »

Just seen a review by someone called JohnHikerBiker
Ralph McTell at the Royal Albert Hall, May 2016

“Streets of London” was one of the background songs to my time at university in Nottingham, the first track on Ralph McTell’s album “Spiral Staircase” (1969). The song’s a mainstay of London buskers even now - I heard it played and sung very creditably by a busker at Leicester Square tube station just yesterday. Not a hit until a rework in 1974, the song has a timelessness with its poignant words and simple tune.

Ralph McTell performed a couple of songs on his own piano, introducing it as the original instrument he used to compose many of his songs whilst he was still living in a council flat in Croydon, South London. His piano accompaniment to “Growing old with Naomi”, with piano and singer highlighted against the dark of the rest of the stage and hall dark, had an air of being invited back to his flat for a song session. No small feat to pull off in the huge space of the Albert Hall.
Mostly, though, “a bloke singing with a guitar”, still using his line from the seventies. Back in those days I was laying out lights and a basic PA for university Folk Club, though never Ralph McTell. A folk singer performed to a lively pub, pint on stage, occasionally asking for quiet, introducing his songs and chatting to and with the audience. Tonight’s classic blue and amber lighting recalled that ambience though few of the audience had a pint in their hand.
Ralph McTell’s gentle lilting ballads build sound pictures of memories and emotions; the bite is in the depth of the scenes his songs conjure up, perhaps bathos, sometimes nostalgia and usually not political. Ralph McTell’s musical heroes seem to have included Bob Dylan and The Everley Brothers, all of whom he has seen play this same hall. He described the Albert Hall as “a proper London venue, a secular cathedral... you can feel all the spirits of all the performers who have been on here before”.  He described the walk from the dressing room as particularly long here for him as a result being conscious of those who have trodden that walk before.

His guitar playing is matchless: the accuracy, evenness and plasticity of tempo, are from another era. It’s as though the electronic drum machine had never been invented. Incredibly refreshing. A little bit of forgivable vocal instability in the more vicarious melodies but the baritone voice is still very sure and strong.
The audience loved him, humming sympathetically when invited and joining in gustily for the choruses of “Streets of London”. Several encores and a photocall for the singer’s website.
CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »

Loved the whole thing.  We went as a fairly last minute thing.   I really enjoyed the selection even though my choices were split fairly evenly between old and new songs.  It was great to bump into John B and Diane (Delfini) just on the way out.  Smiley
He may have written a few songs for Fairport but I'm sure they wrote one for his concerts 'Who knows where the time goes?'

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
Carol

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 07:56:10 AM »

Fantastic venue, fantastic night! That's all I can say!

'Friday evening finds me in a favourite bar of mine'
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »

The top 50 songs voted for the RAH set are listed on Ralph's website - where were your picks?

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »

Thanks John.  Someone filmed bits of this concert (from a box?) and uploaded to youtube.  The Ferryman, Streets of London, Nanna's Song.  The quality is poor but they are a nice reminder of the night.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: