TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 27, 2021, 06:10:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I dreamed a song  (Read 14725 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: June 13, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »

As I was falling in and out of sleep this morning, I was doing a fair bit of dreaming.  And I dreamed a song.  I was in a studio, listening to a playback, and my old pal Ed had added this cool harmony part, and then I woke up.  Enough of the song was still going around my head, so I forced myself to stumble downstairs, pick up the guitar and work out the chords for two song bits (it still needs a third - don't know if I lost this en route, or whether I hadn't dreamed the whole thing).  Small fragment of a lyric intact too.  It's no blockbuster, but it has a nice vibe, and there's enough there for me to work with.

Pretty cool though.  I can't recall ever dreaming a song before.  Has anyone else done this?  I know Paul McCartney and David Crosby have both done it (I think their songs may have been a tad better than mine!), but has anyone here done it?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:18:21 AM »

"Small fragment of a lyric intact too"

Not 'woke up this morning' is it, Jules?  Or even 'woke up, fell out of bed' - just might have been done before...  Wink

As for the missing bit - go in search of the lost chord halfway up the stairs perhaps?

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »

"Small fragment of a lyric intact too"

Not 'woke up this morning' is it, Jules?  Or even 'woke up, fell out of bed' - just might have been done before...  Wink

As for the missing bit - go in search of the lost chord halfway up the stairs perhaps?

Someone's being very silly.

One bath later, and I fear that the subtle nuances of the melody are fading from memory a little.  Should have used a Dictaphone, dammit.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »

Back when I used to write (which is a very long time ago now. I am 20 years into a fit of writer's block!), this used to happen to me quite a lot. I could never reproduce the songs in the flesh as good as they sounded in the dreams though.

I do still dream songs occasionally but I always lose them by the time I wake up now. A few weeks ago there was one which I remember from the dream sounded magnificent and catchy as hell. It had hit written all over it. Like your dream it was a recording session. By the time I woke up there was nothing of it left in my head. The dream though had been so vivid that I felt completely deflated not to be able to recall the song.

Scrambled eggs, oh my baby how I love your legs...
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »

I once dreamt an entire Roy Harper album!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
peterfoxmusic
n3wb

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »

I've managed to dream a couple of songs over the years but never written them down foolishly so they were lost. Next time I will endeavour to go grab the guitar. I'm pretty sure they were quite good but I guess we'll never know!

Peter
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »

I once dreamt an entire Roy Harper album!

I've only managed to dream about buying a Roy Harper album.  It took me years to find it, and I really did dream about it.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:39:27 AM »

As I was falling in and out of sleep this morning, I was doing a fair bit of dreaming.  And I dreamed a song.  I was in a studio, listening to a playback, and my old pal Ed had added this cool harmony part, and then I woke up.  Enough of the song was still going around my head, so I forced myself to stumble downstairs, pick up the guitar and work out the chords for two song bits (it still needs a third - don't know if I lost this en route, or whether I hadn't dreamed the whole thing).  Small fragment of a lyric intact too.  It's no blockbuster, but it has a nice vibe, and there's enough there for me to work with.

Pretty cool though.  I can't recall ever dreaming a song before.  Has anyone else done this?  I know Paul McCartney and David Crosby have both done it (I think their songs may have been a tad better than mine!), but has anyone here done it?

Jules

I have a guitar right next to our bed, ready for instant use.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »

I have a guitar right next to our bed, ready for instant use.  

Let's hope you don't dream a song and wake up at an antisocial hour then!   Wink

Jules

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »

I have on a couple of occasions dreamed a song, but I haven't been able to recall much about it on waking.

Mostly I write songs on guitar, and the melody comes second to whatever chords I'm messing about with. I'm always suspicious when a melody pops into my head 'full formed', that I've subconsciously plagiarised something. I only write for my own amusement (and my better half's annoyance) so it doesn't really matter I guess.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »

I've dreamed stories before, or at least the essence of them. Then written them down later. It works, but I guess songs are a bit different.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »

I've dreamed stories before, or at least the essence of them. Then written them down later. It works, but I guess songs are a bit different.

That's a gift I'd like.  I've tried to write fiction before but I never have a story to tell.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »

I've had many dreams in which I'm playing in a band - Fairport, Floyd and Zappa included - with the plot line being, 'Oh no! Peggy/Roger/Roy/Max/Jeff/Jim/Dave/Tom/Patrick/Arthur/Scott have sprained a wrist - is there a bassist in the house ?' 'Erm....welllll....I've dabbled a bit but.....' 'Great you're in!' and I'm up on stage and the music is most definitely THEM but it's nothing I've heard before in my life, those are interesting.*

But I found that my most creative moment was just after waking up, which takes me a while, usually in the bathroom brushing my teeth when a song, a short story, part of a novel, a sketch or a poem would pop into my head in a complete finished form. The songs would have sax solos and backing vocals and everything, trying to remember all that was a nightmare.

* there have been two Cropredy related mini movies too, which I've often thought about starting a thread for.

Well I never did..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: