TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:05:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ralph & John at The Globe  (Read 8701 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« on: June 06, 2015, 09:52:51 PM »

This could be one of those "yes I was there" concerts.

John Williams and Ralph McTell at The Globe London 5/6/15

Extraordinary, wonderful and £10.

John Williams was on first and played a selection of lovely melodic guitar pieces, effortlessly. Maybe he just made it look a bit too easy and could have slipped in something a bit more challenging.

Then after the intermission on came Ralph, looking on the terrified side of nervous.

I should explain about the venue.
It's laid out in as a more intimate version of the Globe Theatre. Stage, pit, lower and upper galleries. It seats 300, but all very tightly packed in, with only candles for lighting. No microphones and amplifiers. Just Ralph on the stage with a guitar.

As Ralph said, there were a few 'jazz chords' in the first song, but from then on it just worked.
There was something very special about being in that theatre, it being truly live and purely acoustic.
As usual Ralph choose just the right songs for the occasion, perfectly.

The encore was obviously 'Streets of London' arranged for Ralph McTell, John Williams and audience.

BTW Restricted view. No it wasn't.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »

Anyone over 5'10" needs to pick their seats extremely carefully in there. Very upright, narrow benches with littke legroom means anyone over about that height sits with their legs bent less underneath, not even perpendicular.

A very good Julie Fowlis gig ended prematurely for me in excrutuiating pain only a couple of weeks back - sit in the pit is my rule....

tryer

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »

Excellent review Colin, Thanks. Chris, it would have helped if I had the opportunity to choose my seat? In fact I spent the evening standing,or leaning up the wall behind and way above, Ralph's shoulder! I couldnt/didnt hear a word of John Williams intros [spoken] and was concerned that I wouldn't hear Ralph. In fact to say he  triumphed would  be an understatement, "view may be obscured by candelabra" occasionally it was however I have never seen Ralph so animated! ....indeed I was there. and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »

Another review.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »

Another review.

Wonderful review John, thank you.  Tiara

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print