TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:02:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Myths and Heroes - New album  (Read 96965 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »

I would have thought that downloading it would be infinitely preferable to having that terrible cover.

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »

You know... on the CD it doesn't actually look quite so bad.  Not saying it is a good design, just that it doesn't feel quite as awful as I thought at first.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »

You know... on the CD it doesn't actually look quite so bad.  Not saying it is a good design, just that it doesn't feel quite as awful as I thought at first.

It's on the t-shirt too (and I bought one Embarrassed )
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »

Just pre-ordered on Amazon (so I get an autorip version too), along with the Fotheringay set.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 10:25:34 AM »

Man in the Water - blimey, what a song. Octave vocals is a stroke of genius.

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »

My copy has arrived last Saturday. Since then, it is played daily.
What a great set of songs, beautiful tunes.
You`ve done very well, chaps. Thank you
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 03:45:21 AM »

I've enjoyed Myths & Heroes about a dozen times since the CD arrived last Saturday.  The standout tracks to my ears are Weightless/The Gravity Reel, The Man in the Water, and The Gallivant.  Grace & Favour has grown on me as well.  I'm not so fond of John Condon, but the rest of the album is solid and in places daring.  I've gleaned via this message board that the boys are playing quite a lot of pieces from this collection on the current tour, which indicates a well-placed confidence in the strength of the new stuff.  Congratulations, Fairport Convention: you've unleashed a cracking fabulous album upon the world.  Long may the songs and tunes from Myths & Heroes appear in your sets when you trod the boards in the future.

To elaborate on the tracks I tend to put on repeat play for long stretches: initially The Man in the Water was my favorite song out of the thirteen tracks, as the lyrics paint an eerie picture and the haunting timbres of the vocals get under my skin.  In recent days, Weightless/The Gravity Reel is the piece I listen to most often - musically brilliant (featuring some of Ric's finest violin playing and a simple but solid bass line from Dave Pegg, confident vocals from Chris Leslie, unobtrusive percussion from Gerry Conway, and the ever-comforting rhythm guitar of Simon Nicol) and lyrically about (according to the liner notes) recovery from trauma -- a theme I relate to.  The Gallivant is just a rollicking instrumental ride with a guest horns/string section that adds a unique sound to the Fairport vibe.  

Myths & Heroes: an instant classic in the Fairport Convention oeuvre.  
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »

Paypal on the Fairport site broken today. Email sent.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »

And a quick fix was made. All ordered now.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Hibbitt (Christer)

Loc: Stockholm

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »

Is It me or? Enjoying the second half of the album much more than the first one.
 There are a couple of tracks in the beginning which are ok but maybe not more.
But from The Man in the Water and onwards I think the album is really good.  Smiley

Doctor Monk unpacks his trunk tonight
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »

Unfortunately on the continent we are still waiting ... Anyway it's good to read so many good words.

all the best

P.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »

Is It me or? Enjoying the second half of the album much more than the first one.
But from The Man in the Water and onwards I think the album is really good.  Smiley

Totally agree on the meat being in the second half, but it's The Gallivant really kicks things off for me. The tracks before that are great, but the gears change at that point in the album. Man in the Water is solid gold, without a doubt.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 09:40:46 PM »

I have only had time to listen once so far but that was pretty much my reaction too.
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 09:41:28 AM »

Good call. The chorus to Theodore's Song is a bit of a fiddler's maggot, but it's The Gallivant that really kicks things off.

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 01:06:48 PM »

I've only had one listen so far but sounds like a good one. A much stronger album than Sense Of Occasion and more consistent than Festival bell. Probably too early to say, but for me it rivals Festival Bell as the best by the current line-up. Looking forward to hearing tracks live, but that might have to wait until the Spring tour.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »

Looking forward to hearing tracks live, but that might have to wait until the Spring tour.

I think, for my money, whilst some tracks are better than others, it is probably the first disc for 20 years or so that works as an entire album and has nothing twee and nothing that I feel the need to skip. My only slight disappointment is that having heard the album after seeing the songs played live, the recorded versions seem a little more polite by comparison. The live performances had a bit more muscle.
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »

My only slight disappointment is that having heard the album after seeing the songs played live, the recorded versions seem a little more polite by comparison. The live performances had a bit more muscle.

Isn't that often the case though as songs get 'played in' more & more on stage.  The same thing struck me with a few of RT's recent albums - much as I'd enjoyed 'Electric' the songs came over much better live on the subsequent tour.

'Myths & Heroes' though, for me, is the best album by the current Fairport line-up.  They've all had their moments but this one, from start to finish, doesn't have a weak track.  Yes (as many people have said earlier in this thread) the cover is hellish but the disc inside is a gem.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »

Just wondered if it might be time to actually start a Myths and Heroes topic now that the actual album is released in 2015 and the music is getting much better reviews than the cover image?  I have it ordered and am very much looking forward to hearing it based on the reviews I have been reading here.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »

Since I didn't find a "Myths and Heroes" thread, I just thought I'd chip in a few impressions after playng the CD over the weekend.
I miss Simon's lead vocals. I don't know if it's age or something else, but my favourite tracks are "Home", "John Condon" and "Clear Water! The three tracks on the CD with Simon on lead vocals.
I like the instrumentals too, they sound pretty fresh to me. Maybe the other songs will grow on me. Going to Lübeck in a month's time to see the chaps - it's the closest to the Swedish shores they come - I sincerely hope to hear both "Home" and "John Condon" live.  Cool

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »

(before Jim gets in first) - but in tune!  Wink

Having listened to the album a few times now, I think it's one of the strongest sets they've released in years.  Well done, chaps!  Smiley

Jim hasn't heard the album, but i have a sneaking feeling that Chris has sung this with the verse before, must be last year i suppose.
unless i am barking up the wrong tree altogether.

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: