TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:33:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Other Boot / The Third Leg  (Read 12024 times)
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »

Two special recordings for me: as they were the first two Cropredys that I ever attended.

Its been a long while since I last listened, but I am spinning* them now and the memories are flooding back. 1986 I remember especially as it was a blazing hot weekend, featuring Fairport in blazing form.

A few things I really like:
1) the diversity of the sets, much more diverse then they are now which is surprising when you think how much more material the band now has to draw on; and
2) The looseness in the playing, without sounding under-rehearsed its a lot more organic then you get nowadays
3) Rics playing - its great without becoming too obtrusive.

Looking at the setlist: 17 tracks and 16 tracks, and yet Fairport played for more than 4 hours each year. I wonder if the full recordings exist anywhere? presumably the full concerts were recorded. I suspect that licence/contractual reasons would prevent their full release, but I would love just once (or twice, or 30 times....) to relive those halcyon days.

*OK, so listening to MP3's on iTunes, but something is spinning somewhere....

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »

Pretty certain I've got the full sets of most, if not all of those 80's shows.  Always gutted I missed '86.  I went in '84 and then every year from '87 onwards...

All valid points you make.  The simple truth is that in '86 they were a brand new band, remember...that was the first full year with the new 5-piece lineup.  (Still reasonably) young and enthusiastic.  New beginnings.  You can hear it all in the recordings....

That was then and this is now...   Undecided

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Carl F

Loc: Birmingham

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:26:23 PM »

The original recordings must still be readily accessible as additional tracks from, I think, both these years have appeared on some of the Free Reed box sets such as A Box of Peggs. Certainly from the 1987 festival - Including extra tracks from the Jethro Tull "set within a set" that year.

I would love to have a complete recording of the 1987 set in particular. It would go very nicely with a DVD release of the "It All Comes Round Again" video of that year.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:53:06 PM by Carl F » Logged
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »

Parts of both sets (12 and 13 tracks respectively) have appeared on the The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood album.  Don't know if that is still available?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Carl F

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »

Parts of both sets (12 and 13 tracks respectively) have appeared on the The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood album.  Don't know if that is still available?

Those tracklists have been re-released again more recently under the title "More Things We Did On Our Holidays" (Is it just me or are these regular repackagings of Fairport live performances really starting to get bewildering?).
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »

(Is it just me or are these regular repackagings of Fairport live performances really starting to get bewildering?).

Not just you - I seldom know if I already have something or not!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »

The 'more things' stuff it pretty much all on the 'Other Boot' I think.

Having had it on pretty much constant rotation for the last couple of days, I would say that the versions of Sloth and Meet on the Ledge are pretty much definitive.

And June Tabor was seriously flat.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »

Jim. This is the moment where you show some self control, ok...  Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Carl F

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »

Same arrangement as on the previous "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" release: "The Other Boot" on disc one, "The Third Leg" on disc two.

Interesting to compare and contrast what was dropped for these CD releases compared to the original cassettes: I think they've been pruned quite efficiently when you consider the two as a single package (Just one version of Matty or the Lark in the Morning where there could have been two, for instance). Though personally I think it's a shame that both versions of the "Gas Almost Works" medley have disappeared on the CD releases: I appreciate that it's a comparatively superfluous track but I always liked the 1987 performance.
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »

I like June Tabor as much as the next folkie, but in this instance - she was flat.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

Same arrangement as on the previous "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" release: "The Other Boot" on disc one, "The Third Leg" on disc two.

Interesting to compare and contrast what was dropped for these CD releases compared to the original cassettes: I think they've been pruned quite efficiently when you consider the two as a single package (Just one version of Matty or the Lark in the Morning where there could have been two, for instance). Though personally I think it's a shame that both versions of the "Gas Almost Works" medley have disappeared on the CD releases: I appreciate that it's a comparatively superfluous track but I always liked the 1987 performance.

This must be a different version of The Other Boot / The Third Leg than I have.  Has it been re-released in reduced form? I'm confused.

My copy is the version that Fairport have said that I can make available to others as it was no longer commercially available. If it hasn't been officially re-released in a form that gives income to Fairport and if you'd like a copy, message me.

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:56:47 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »

Not to further muddy the waters here, but on the track list Andy just sent, my Quiet Joys Of Brotherhood comprises this-25 songs total.

The Other Boot- 12 songs total. Difference on Andy's CD1 is there is no Tried So Hard or Gas Almost Works/Cat On The Mixer/Three Left Feet, Matty Groves, or The Lark which are replaced by Sloth, Mr Lacey and Meet On The Ledge.

The Third Leg-also on one CD consists of the balance of songs on Andy's CD2 and CD3. The only tracks I see missing from this one is the Gas Almost Works medley and It'll Take A Long Time

Therefore as far as I can figure out, Quiet Joys Of Brotherhood is missing these 6 tracks as opposed to what Andy has-

Tried So Hard-1986 The Other Boot
Gas Almost Works/Cat On The Mixer/Three Left Feet-1986 The Other Boot
Swirling Pit/Matty Groves/Sack The Juggler- 1986 The Other Boot
The Lark In The Morning Medley-1986 The Other Boot
Gas Almost Works/Cat On The Mixer/Three Left Feet-1987 The Third Leg
It'll Take A Long Time-1987 The Third Leg

Phew! I need a beer now.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:30:57 PM by RobertD » Logged

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 06:31:04 PM »

Andy your list has 31 songs listed, but on CD1  you have the Cat On The Mixer listed twice, which I assume is an error?
I've taken the text version off and substituted the actual CD cover, which only shows one version on CD1 followed by Wat Tyler. The Purple tracks are 1986, Red, 1987.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »

Yes, saw that and edited my post as a result. Thanks!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »

As if  Grin. It's always nice to be backed up, "seriously flat" is showing remarkable restraint.

The Dude abides
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: