TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:37:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 419015 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #640 on: May 20, 2024, 01:50:55 PM »

Right now, if mostly-folk-based festivals want to survive, I reckon they have to diversify, get some artists that will appeal beyond the folkies and embark on publicity campaigns, perhaps jointly and severally to sell themselves outside of their traditional audience.

Nail. Head.

And potentially lose all the attendees they already have in the first place?  There's a strong danger of oversimplification here, I think..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #641 on: May 20, 2024, 02:28:49 PM »

Right now, if mostly-folk-based festivals want to survive, I reckon they have to diversify, get some artists that will appeal beyond the folkies and embark on publicity campaigns, perhaps jointly and severally to sell themselves outside of their traditional audience.

Nail. Head.

And potentially lose all the attendees they already have in the first place?  There's a strong danger of oversimplification here, I think..
Not so long ago I was at The pre Cropredy Trad Aaar gig and a regular poster on here asked Peggy why Trad Aaar had not been on at Cropredy for a while . I must the say the response somewhat shocked me , it was along the lines of we dont book too many folk rock acts as folk rock fans will come anyway. I think they are reaping the rewards now of ignoring the core audience. I have seen Merry Hell twice in the last week and boy am I on a high , this is what gets me out not a load of self indulgent twiddling.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #642 on: May 20, 2024, 07:38:05 PM »

They're already losing attendees hand over fist or they wouldn't be begging people to attend and bring a friend.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
kenhughes

« Reply #643 on: May 20, 2024, 08:17:51 PM »

They're already losing attendees hand over fist or they wouldn't be begging people to attend and bring a friend.

I am not comfortable with the idea of "begging".

In fact, I have considered Simon's post/email as a marketing message rather than a plea.

Towersey have jumped on that and taken advantage. However, good luck to them and long may they continue.

Cropredy is so important that I would drink warm lager there if it was the only beer available!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #644 on: May 20, 2024, 09:25:24 PM »

In fact, I have considered Simon's post/email as a marketing message rather than a plea.

Towersey have jumped on that and taken advantage. However, good luck to them and long may they continue.

Cropredy is so important that I would drink warm lager there if it was the only beer available!
Now that really is desperate

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #645 on: May 21, 2024, 04:49:21 PM »

Perhaps "begging" is the wrong term, but it did sound a fairly desperate "marketing message".

As to drinking warm lager, I think you may be in a minority there!

kenhughes

« Reply #646 on: May 21, 2024, 06:23:40 PM »

As to drinking warm lager, I think you may be in a minority there!
[/quote]

Andy, I realise that ;-)

Lucky the beer is good.

Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #647 on: May 28, 2024, 07:39:03 PM »

By the way, no-one we spoke to thinks that paying out £200 to go to a festival "for the craic" is a good idea.

Because that's something that comes with going to festivals fairly regularly, it's unexplainable to most people.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #648 on: May 28, 2024, 11:49:17 PM »

By the way, no-one we spoke to thinks that paying out £200 to go to a festival "for the craic" is a good idea.

Because that's something that comes with going to festivals fairly regularly, it's unexplainable to most people.

They go to festivals regularly, there's a financial point at which the craic is less of an attraction than seeing the bands they like.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #649 on: May 29, 2024, 08:29:23 AM »

You people be thankful. Our local festival has booked - among others - a turn with eight Facebook followers who makes music by reprogramming old games consoles and a ZX Spectrum. It's hard not to reflect out loud on the line up without sounding like the last Richard Littlejohn column out of Saigon.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #650 on: May 29, 2024, 09:16:49 AM »

Not unexpected but Towersey have just announced this year will be their last :-(
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #651 on: May 29, 2024, 09:16:58 AM »

You people be thankful. Our local festival has booked - among others - a turn with eight Facebook followers who makes music by reprogramming old games consoles and a ZX Spectrum. It's hard not to reflect out loud on the line up without sounding like the last Richard Littlejohn column out of Saigon.

At least that sounds moderately interesting....it's probably awful, but it might not be.  It's the lowest common denominator 'that'll do' stuff that really gets to me...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #652 on: May 29, 2024, 10:07:33 AM »

Not unexpected but Towersey have just announced this year will be their last :-(

That's sad.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #653 on: May 29, 2024, 10:53:00 AM »

That's sad.

Might actually help Cropredy next year though - less competition for the folk scene.

DW
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #654 on: May 29, 2024, 04:41:05 PM »

Following Pastie Boy's defection to the Dark Side do we continue ? If you think we should please reply saying you will attend. .

Here's Three reasons why we should.

1).  On average we raise over £300 for the Teenage Cancer Trust .

2).  Its fun and often its the only time we meet each year.

3).  In my opinion the toast is too important a tradition to let slide away.

If we get confirmation of continued interest and support then I will get Toast 24 organised.

TrevG

I love the idea of the toast and really hope we can keep it as an important part of our Cropredy.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #655 on: May 29, 2024, 05:52:15 PM »

Oh yes it would be such a shame to abandon the toast, it’s always a lot of fun, as well as a great money raiser for TCT.
Count Amethyst and Pugwash in.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #656 on: May 29, 2024, 08:37:00 PM »

Count us in.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #657 on: May 29, 2024, 11:43:42 PM »