TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:00:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395600 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2021, 02:06:52 PM »

Shrewsbury have announced a changed line up with no American artistes and that all 3 main stages will be outdoors. There is probably not enough to attract me this year. Oysterband , Show of Hands , Young Uns, Edwina, Lindisfarne etc but at the high prices they charge, no thanks. If Blackie and The Rodeo Kings (and the three associated acts) were still on it may have swung it.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2021, 02:53:55 PM »

Pretty much agree, the Shrewsbury line-up looks a bit thin without any of those American artistes that have been so popular over the years.
BATRKs have been highlight of a couple of festivals in the last few years. It makes sense, but doesn't help the line-up or value for money factor.
And the site can be so bloomin' cold at times in the evenings when the sun has gone down, much colder than any other festival I visit (is it being inside a loop in the river?) The Marquees were good on a bitterly cold evening.
One good thing about Shrewsbury (apart from the music) was that the weather didn't really matter, which was good after Beautiful Days and Cropredy on the previous weekends. But without the marquees the weather is back in play. Oh well.
I was going to get a ticket but not sure now.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2021, 07:46:44 PM »

Oh no,  Shocked we've got tickets from last year put over. Outdoors is the main reason we gave up Cropredy due to weather related/arthrtis reasons!

They've kept very quiet about it too. Just checked the website/lineup. Not too bad, we shall dip in and out weather permitting!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:07:06 PM by JJ (Joanna) » Logged

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #463 on: May 19, 2021, 08:17:22 PM »

I am going back for the first time in years.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2021, 10:45:23 PM »

Dont worry . You will be getting Pendevig (15 peice Welsh Language supergroup), Trials of Cato and Calan.

By the weekends end those of you who go will speak more Cymraeg than I do.

Bendegedig.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #465 on: May 19, 2021, 10:50:04 PM »

Dont worry . You will be getting Pendevig (15 peice Welsh Language supergroup), Trials of Cato and Calan.

Bendegedig.

Wasnt impressed with Trials of Cato (at least not as much they themselves appeared to be) , however the addition of Polly could change that.

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #466 on: May 20, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »

Love The Trials Of Cato. First caught them at the Chester Folk Festival a few years ago, and as it happens they were the last band I saw in concert before Lockdown so I'm really disappointed about the personnel change. Polly Bolton's no slouch though so I'll give the new line-up a go when I get the chance.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #467 on: May 20, 2021, 12:21:30 PM »

Bendegedig.

I've just bought Pendevig's album. Good stuff. They sound like they'd be a blast live.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #468 on: May 20, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »

Shrewsbury have announced a changed line up with no American artistes and that all 3 main stages will be outdoors. There is probably not enough to attract me this year. Oysterband , Show of Hands , Young Uns, Edwina, Lindisfarne etc but at the high prices they charge, no thanks. If Blackie and The Rodeo Kings (and the three associated acts) were still on it may have swung it.

Shrewsbury was one of my favourite festivals, but it was always the American/Canadian bands that gave it an edge over many others for me.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #469 on: May 20, 2021, 06:40:11 PM »

Shrewsbury was one of my favourite festivals, but it was always the American/Canadian bands that gave it an edge over many others for me.

It'll be a pity for Shrewsbury if people that love it watch it die because it's not something it can't be this year due to circumstances entirely out of its control.  I guess that will be happening a lot out there in the real world at the moment though.  I've never been but I've got several good friends who put it right at the very top of British 'folk' festivals...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #470 on: May 20, 2021, 09:17:38 PM »

It'll be a pity for Shrewsbury if people that love it watch it die because it's not something it can't be this year due to circumstances entirely out of its control.  I guess that will be happening a lot out there in the real world at the moment though.  I've never been but I've got several good friends who put it right at the very top of British 'folk' festivals...
I never thought I'd like it but I do. But it's just far too expensive for the line up. Some of the costs must be lower ie no American bands, no marquee hire, no dance tent etc. To have to reduce prices or it's a no from me.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #471 on: May 29, 2021, 07:54:42 AM »

BBC News report this morning BBC News - Festivals face 'another lost summer' without government safety net, MPs say
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57279196

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2021, 08:58:23 AM »

When was Gerry Colvin added to the New Forest line up? Chuffed.

dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »

I went to Ely Festival at the weekend – my first festival since 2019.  Very enjoyable.  The social distancing worked well (we each had our own yellow box sprayed on the grass) and it felt perfectly safe.  If I get pinged by test & trace, I suspect it is more likely to be for the stop at South Mimms Services on the M25!  It was good to listen to some unfamiliar acts and to bump into a couple of friends that I only see at festivals.  In many ways, it seemed like old times apart, of course, from the vastly reduced numbers.  I can’t really see how the organisers or the traders could have made a profit from it, but it is a step in the right direction, I suppose.  

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #474 on: July 15, 2021, 11:28:13 AM »

The New Forest Folk Festival was a great success last week. Wendy and I Stewarded as usual. Everyone entering the site had their temperature taken every time. Everyone also had to take a COVID test before coming, including Traders and Artists.

It should be noted that Helen, wife of the organiser, Nick Curtis, is in hospital at the moment and that everyone wishes her a swift recovery, signing several cards for her.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #475 on: July 15, 2021, 11:29:14 AM »

On a sad note, it seems that Leon is retiring after two more festivals, I can't recall the name of the penultimate one, the last being "Under the Stars".

So, no Leon's at Cropredy 2022. That will be a hole in the field.

Completely incorrect. I misunderstood what Leon said.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 08:26:31 AM by Andy » Logged

colin h

Loc: 'aartfordsher

life's a long song

« Reply #476 on: July 15, 2021, 11:58:39 AM »

On a sad note, it seems that Leon is retiring after two more festivals.  That will be a hole in the field.

Shame, his fare in huge portions is fantastic value and top quality.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2021, 12:36:14 PM »

I've never known, but is the Cropredy Leon connected with the Leon's restaurants?  Or is it just a coincidence of names?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2021, 12:44:58 PM »

I've never known, but is the Cropredy Leon connected with the Leon's restaurants?  Or is it just a coincidence of names?

I don't know for certain, but others have said not.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2021, 01:06:15 PM »

I don't know for certain, but others have said not.

Not https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Restaurants

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: