TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:26:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395521 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »

Who knows? It hasn't been announced has it?

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »

Looks like Vikki Clayton has been added to the Fringe bill.

Not managed to make it to the main bill then.
She has the contacts in the band. When she put her pleas onto the Fairporters page to be back on the Cropredy stage, that probably indicated she hadn't had a totally positive response from other contacts. Which is a shame, but there's a lot of people clamouring to be one of only 18 acts on one stage. The fringe is a good compromise and will show whether her appeal is good enough for the Cropredy stage another year.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #242 on: September 08, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »

She has the contacts in the band. When she put her pleas onto the Fairporters page to be back on the Cropredy stage, that probably indicated she hadn't had a totally positive response from other contacts. Which is a shame, but there's a lot of people clamouring to be one of only 18 acts on one stage. The fringe is a good compromise and will show whether her appeal is good enough for the Cropredy stage another year.

Just looking at her website. It is 16 years since her last album and others here will know the date of her last Cropredy appearance, when there was a regular 'Sandy spot'. I have a very long memory and recall reading, on a programme or a sleeve note, that someone had told her to go solo and 'leave that band' or words to that effect. Maybe there was a bit of friction? It is a long time ago.
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »

Just looking at her website. It is 16 years since her last album and others here will know the date of her last Cropredy appearance, when there was a regular 'Sandy spot'. I have a very long memory and recall reading, on a programme or a sleeve note, that someone had told her to go solo and 'leave that band' or words to that effect. Maybe there was a bit of friction? It is a long time ago.

She has a new album "Messenger" out at the moment. https://www.vikkiclayton.info/store

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »

And its very good!

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #245 on: November 06, 2017, 11:31:21 PM »

Was her last appearance with The Nerve ? In other words Fotheringay-ish ? I say that, because the thing about going solo and leaving that band sounds like what Joe Boyd told Sandy after the Fotheringay album. Maybe you're remembering a quote about that in the programme for that year, which may make sense considering the context.

Well I never did..
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »

That's possible. I no longer have any old programmes, I'm afraid.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »

Vikki played with her full band in 2001, guested with FC in 2002 for the 35th anniversary (singing loads) and again in 2007 for the 40th anniversary (singing "One More Chance"). Not sure if she's appeared since.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »

Vikki played with her full band in 2001, guested with FC in 2002 for the 35th anniversary (singing loads) and again in 2007 for the 40th anniversary (singing "One More Chance"). Not sure if she's appeared since.

I think her last listing (as a guest) is 2008 http://fclist.org/cropredy-cropredy-line-ups/cropredy-2008

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »

Lineup for 2018 Folk on the Pier looks tremendous! FC, Morris On, Home Service, Chris and Julie, Edward II and more... Pity l will be abroad...

Flobbadob!
garrypbrooks

« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »

Lineup for 2018 Folk on the Pier looks tremendous! FC, Morris On, Home Service, Chris and Julie, Edward II and more... Pity l will be abroad...

To my tastes, looks a middling bill, but I do fancy seeing Edward II & Gerry Colvin again. See Home Service twice at festivals, found them disappointing both times, and I'll always pass on any band with "Morris" in their name. Let's see what else is added.

Can't find anything about Banter, anyone heard them?

garrypbrooks

« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »

Just found Banter's website, with samples. Doesn't grab me much
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2018, 04:36:23 PM »

Final day of the BST concerts in Hyde Park is announced - Paul Simon, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt and others tba.  Sounds great, but a friend says that tickets are about £111 a day - that's almost the same as all three days at Cropredy!  I'd love to see Paul Simon and James Taylor, but at that price I won't be going Sad

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »

Final day of the BST concerts in Hyde Park is announced - Paul Simon, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt and others tba.  Sounds great, but a friend says that tickets are about £111 a day - that's almost the same as all three days at Cropredy!  I'd love to see Paul Simon and James Taylor, but at that price I won't be going Sad

1982 Wembley Stadium.  You got Art as well, and it cost you £10 (or £24.68 in today's money).  Only one thing to do...and that's say 'no'.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »

Shrewsbury FF - new names added including RT.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2c16fed58006f76a924aba086/images/2580086b-bdfe-482d-a061-4e39b86ab0b0.jpg
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »

I am booked already....

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »

1982 Wembley Stadium.  You got Art as well, and it cost you £10 (or £24.68 in today's money).  Only one thing to do...and that's say 'no'.

It's all very well to tell me now...  35 years too late!  

Had a look this morning, and general admission is £75 (+ a £10 'service charge'!).  If you want to be right up the front, it's a whopping £250!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:23 AM »

Or buy their greatest hits albums for £6 or less (each) on Amazon. If you haven't already got them.

Since I do have those albums, I'll listen for free, that evening.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »

Just saw this talked about elsewhere.  I can imagine one or two around here might be interested?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »

Beautiful Days line up just announced - including Richard Thompson Electric Trio, Suzanne Vega , Manic Street Preachers. 3DM, Feeder, British Sea Power and others.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: