TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:35:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395544 times)
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2014, 04:34:30 PM »

Bo Peep was great and I hope to be back next year. Does need a few tweaks, get the stages next to each other like Moseley and a few more food stalls. Shame a few who couldn't take their cider spoilt Leatherat's set for a lot of people.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
AlexRobinson
n3wb

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2014, 02:44:27 PM »

The Guildfest festival sounds a bit like the Galtres festival up near York, which is no more apparently as the organisers have gone into liquidation.
It was always a nice local little festival, fairly cheap with a good line up but the last year or so there was a feeling that it had lost its way a little bit.
The original post in this thread though made me smile, apart from the line 'before being lifted out by on site fire crews and "decontaminated"'.
Oh wow, I really hope I never have to be 'decontaminated'....
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »

I read yesterday that although the company went bust, the festival was to continue....

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140913b.shtml

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2014, 12:43:44 AM »

Sounds a bit like Sunrise which, while an excellent festival for the punters, does have some history of leaving a trail of unpaid suppliers behind it.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »

"In an article on The Northern Echo website, (here), it reveals that traders say that the cashless system operated by the festival company, with festival goers putting funds on a G-Card which was used to buy food, drinks and goods on site, meant that each trader was given a statement at the end of the festival saying how much they were owed, many of them have not received the money, and that up to 50 businesses could be affected.

The article also reveals that some of the unpaid traders who provided food and drinks at the event now face going out of business.
Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140913b.shtml#2Ww0jRw3csKLv2Be.99"

Maybe they should rename it 'The Guiltless Festival' - closed down the trading company, shedding the debts, irrespective of the consequences to others and blithely continuing on regardless....................Hail this glorious nation and God bless all who fail in her and get away with it

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »

"2015 tickets on sale Monday 1 December
November 17, 2014

Tickets for next year’s Cambridge Folk Festival will go on sale on Monday December 1.

The first artists confirmed for next year’s bill are due to be announced in early 2015."

And the dates are: 30th July - 2nd August

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
StingGB
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2015, 01:09:34 AM »

Hi everyone, I need a bit of local knowledge ..

I live on a canal narrow boat and travel around the UK. I’m looking for a Northern folk festival to travel to this year (2015). I already know about Middlewich. I’m going there again this year. Moira’s too far from the navigable canal (lesson learned in 2014).

I play double bass, so I’m particularly looking for a festival with open jam sessions in local pubs etc. I’ve checked online and I can’t seem to find anywhere near a canal. As long as the festival is walkable from a canal/navigable river, it would be fine.

So to summarise: July to September 2015. Festival must be Northern (Yorkshire or surrounding) and near to a navigable canal/river network, with plenty of lively associated acoustic sessions. I’ve already got the Midlands and South sorted for this year.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Brian.
AdrianW
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »

Middlewich Folk and Boat used to be good, but went down badly a few years ago. So much so that I do not go any more, despite it being one of the closest festivals. Perhaps it has improved since.
Another is the Nantwich Words and Music festival - more accurately a series of individually paid for gigs. As far as I know, there is little in the way of sessions.
Cropredy of course is held by a canal, but that is even less "north".

-- Adrian
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:51 AM »

Middlewich Folk and Boat used to be good, but went down badly a few years ago. So much so that I do not go any more, despite it being one of the closest festivals. Perhaps it has improved since.
Another is the Nantwich Words and Music festival - more accurately a series of individually paid for gigs. As far as I know, there is little in the way of sessions.
Cropredy of course is held by a canal, but that is even less "north".

We went to the Saturday night at Middlewich in 2014 and saw Headstix, Merry Hell, Moulettes and Men They Couldn't hang for free. It was brilliant and there seemed to be a lot going on in the town bars.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
AdrianW
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2015, 06:22:55 AM »

Sounds like Middlewich Folk and Boat has recovered somewhat. Maybe this year for me again.

-- Adrian
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »

The Greenstock2 festival at Rugby which Swarb was due to headline at this Saturday has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales. At least the other Greenstock event in Ulverston earlier in the month did go ahead.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »

This looks a jolly little event which I plan to attend on Saturday, near Stratford on Avon:

http://www.knittedcharacterfolkfestival.co.uk/

Gerry Colvin, Red Shoes and many others.

DW
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »

will be there, failed to knit anything though  Grin

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »

Green Man is sold out.  Can't wait...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2015, 11:43:11 PM »

Really looking forward to Wirral this weekend  ,because of work only there for Sunday , but what a bill.

Kate and the Greenwood,Harvey Andrews, Chris W and Julie M for a lunch time concert.

Morris sides outside , a craft fair and then  Reg Meuross ,Blackbeard's Tea Party and Merry Hell doing an acoustic set with a questions and answers between the music in the small lounge. Non stop floor singers in the bar and a ceilidh in a marquee on the field.

Then ,for me ,an evening concert only to be dreamt of, with Merry Hell,Reg Mueross ,Blackbeards Tea Party and finally Fairport Convention..

If you're there on Sunday say hello. Ill be in last years Cropredy shirt and wearing a  black leather Hat.

Can't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »

Really looking forward to Wirral this weekend  ,because of work only there for Sunday , but what a bill.

Kate and the Greenwood,Harvey Andrews, Chris W and Julie M for a lunch time concert.

Morris sides outside , a craft fair and then  Reg Meuross ,Blackbeard's Tea Party and Merry Hell doing an acoustic set with a questions and answers between the music in the small lounge. Non stop floor singers in the bar and a ceilidh in a marquee on the field.

Then ,for me ,an evening concert only to be dreamt of, with Merry Hell,Reg Mueross ,Blackbeards Tea Party and finally Fairport Convention..

If you're there on Sunday say hello. Ill be in last years Cropredy shirt and wearing a  black leather Hat.

Can't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday

We will be there. Great to see Merry Hell on twice , sad that its because someone should know better.

Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »

See you there Nick and Trev. Full 3days for me Smiley

Well it's turned out nice again!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »

See you there Nick and Trev. Full 3days for me Smiley

The bar ? Need I ask?  Grin
My usual accomplice and Mrs Reg will be there.

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »

The Bar is a big workingmans club one,with good cheap real ale. Nearby is the hatch to the kitchen , food last year was cheap and much better than we  had a right to expect

My wife hates festivals, and doesn't like the concept of a flow of acts. She likes to go and see one band with a support act.
She,s suffering this one because its my birthday. However, her favourite all time song is Harvey Andrews "Soldier".She often sings it to herself. So she's looking forward to seeing him. I doubt he'll do that one as some might find it politically incorrect.

So me , managment (her name is Pam), Daughter (Deanna) and her boyfriend (Ellis) will be there.

Special prize of a free pint for the first person to get Ellis to speak , he's the shyest person I've ever met!!!
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »

I'll be at the bar. You know me too well Smiley

Well it's turned out nice again!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: