TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:35:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395666 times)
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »

Thanks for that, David.

I searched through Talkawhile, and saw you and Addie were the only people to have ever posted about the event. I'm puzzled why there's not been more talk about it  Undecided School parenting issues aside it seems like a really good festival.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 06:00:35 PM »

Guilfest has gone bust again....

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/guilfest-goes-insolvency-artists-not-7740892

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »

Thanks for that, David.

I searched through Talkawhile, and saw you and Addie were the only people to have ever posted about the event. I'm puzzled why there's not been more talk about it  Undecided School parenting issues aside it seems like a really good festival.

Cheers

Nick

didn't Goaty used to go?

it'll be fine.......
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »

I think the main thing I've noticed at festivals this year is how much the food has gone up. No more £5 a meal, it's now £7-8 a time. Not taking your stove isn't an option any more.

Combination of factors - ingredients, power and wages all increasing, costs of pitches maybe, fuel to get there ...

Must be a tough job catering at a festie and I applaud those who do it well.

DW
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 07:16:26 PM »

Thanks for that, David.

Cheers

Nick

didn't Goaty used to go?

Possibly, but he never wrote about it on here  Undecided (At least, there are no posts on the subject by him)

Will find a way to ask him...

Cheers

Nick

abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »

Thanks for that, David.

Cheers

Nick

didn't Goaty used to go?

Possibly, but he never wrote about it on here  Undecided (At least, there are no posts on the subject by him)

Will find a way to ask him...

Cheers

Nick

i may be wrong but it certainly rang a bell, get Fi to FB him!

it'll be fine.......
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »

I think the main thing I've noticed at festivals this year is how much the food has gone up. No more £5 a meal, it's now £7-8 a time. Not taking your stove isn't an option any more.

Combination of factors - ingredients, power and wages all increasing, costs of pitches maybe, fuel to get there ...

Must be a tough job catering at a festie and I applaud those who do it well.

DW

I know 3 festival caterers.....it's not a tough job really.   Grin It's pitch fees that are the biggest rises but still, good money can be earned.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »

Thanks for that, David.

Cheers

Nick

And even I don't remember posting about it!  Grin

abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

Thanks for that, David.

Cheers

Nick

And even I don't remember posting about it!  Grin

do you remember being there   Roll Eyes

it'll be fine.......
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »

Thanks for that, David.

I searched through Talkawhile, and saw you and Addie were the only people to have ever posted about the event.

And even I don't remember posting about it!  Grin

You spotted this

End of the Road festival have announced this little gem, hope they play some other dates. Sounds like it could be great.

The Gene Clark No Other Band sees Beach House’s Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally, Fleet Foxes’ Robin Pecknold, Grizzly Bear’s Daniel Rossen and ex-Fairport Convention member Iain Matthews come together with members of Wye Oak and Celebration to reconstruct the Byrds’ Gene Clark’s 1974 masterpiece No Other.

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2014/03/end-of-the-road-announce-gene-clark-no-other-band/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FolkRadioUk+%28Folk+Radio+UK%29

Which is more about the band than the festival anyway!

Cheers

Nick

steve c

Loc: Surrey UK

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2014, 07:33:28 AM »

I see Mr Scott is blaming the weather forecasters this time.
I live very close to the festival and most years it was well attended by local people but not this year.
Did you see the line up?Huh  Embarrassed Look no further for a reason to give it a miss

it is only music it will not harm you
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »

I dunno,  plenty of good stuff on the undercard. Dreadzone, public service broadcasting,  Mr B,   plenty of classic punk,  True Deceivers,  Soulfly, Gallows.  Maybe you should broaden your horizons.   Wink

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »

I see Mr Scott is blaming the weather forecasters this time.
I live very close to the festival and most years it was well attended by local people but not this year.
Did you see the line up?Huh  Embarrassed Look no further for a reason to give it a miss

My son's band played Guilfest a few years ago, and were treated appallingly by the organisers. Told to park the van in a car park miles from the stage, and then drag all their own gear over a muddy field.

Paul

steve c

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »

Fair point Addie
Finding new bands at a festival is a joy. I agree entirely about Dreadzone they were probably the only band that caught my attention.
I have come across some great bands at Cropredy, the Cropredy village fringe, Trowbridge and Skeggy to name a few
My point was although rather badly made that the thing that sells tickets is the headline acts.
Boomtown Rats, Kool and the Gang and the Human League  Huh
The cost of a weekend ticket was rather on the high side as well.

Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »

The last time we went the Madness fans trashed the toilets, and campers were locked in to the campsite and not allowed out. Disgraceful way to treat paying customers.

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2014, 08:27:33 PM »

The only time we went,  the toilets were very grim. Just went for the one day tohugh for Squeeze and RT.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2014, 12:32:22 AM »

I went to the first ever Guilfest, except, in those days, it was called something like The Guildford Folk and Blues Festival. It was poorly attended, as I recall. It was a one day event: there were two stages, both under canvas; I remember The Albion Band, Kathryn Tickell Band, Peter Sarstedt and John B Spencer. Johnny 'Jonah' Jones was MC. Lightning blew out the electrics for a while - I saw the flash! - and the beer tent ran out of beer. Later, in the local pub, I discussed the pros and cons of Danny Baker with a group of complete strangers and narrowly avoided a fight with a nutter.

Was it the second year it was held at Loseley House? It was there for one year, certainly, until the neighbours complained. I wasn't one of them. I couldn't go, for some reason, but it was so close to home I remember watering my tomatoes and hearing the strains of RT and Show Of Hands on the breeze and wishing I'd made the effort.

After that, the festival got big and I remember thinking it all looked like a shower of sh*te.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »

The last time we went the Madness fans trashed the toilets, and campers were locked in to the campsite and not allowed out. Disgraceful way to treat paying customers.

Not sure if it was that year, be we too were 'locked' in the campsite, and when I went to complain the people in the complaints tent laughed at me. Needless to say I have never been back since, and this is probably the only music event in the world that I a glad has gone bankrupt.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
steve c

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »

The Guildford Folk and Blues festival was held at Loseley park August 27th and 28th 1995. It is a shame it was there only the once as it is a stunning location. Great line up including The Oysterband and RT although my lasting memory of that event was a wonderful set by Robin Williamson.
Complaints from far and wide caused it to move back to Stoke Park in 96 when we saw the return of Peter Green. In the early years it was a great little festival but IMHO lost its way trying to be all things to all people, too many rules with heavy handed stewards and generally overpriced on all levels.
I am sure others will try to run a festival on Stoke park, we had Live Nation running quite a successful bash last year so who knows?

Carl F

Loc: Birmingham

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:52 AM »

Speaking of festivals that nobody seems to have mentioned (to go back a page in the discussion), I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the Derby Folk Festival (Didn't see the point in setting up a whole new thread if nobody else is attending  Tongue), from October 3rd to 5th. It seems to be very reasonably priced, and there's some big names playing: Show of Hands headlining the Saturday and Kate Rusby the Sunday.

On the Friday night you can go and see Steeleye Span, Jez Lowe and the Bad Pennies and assorted other entertainments for less than the price that Steeleye are asking for dates on their own autumn tour. I didn't need to think very hard about that one before I ordered tickets! There's Thornbridge ales on, too.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: