TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:56:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395550 times)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 10:38:42 PM »

When a man is tired of Cropredy , he's tired of life.

Cropredy is more than the music.(Although Capercaillie,Waterboys,Treetop Flyers and Fairports in one weekend is enough, I caught a bit of Reg Meuross at Butlins and was seriously impressed so theres another I want to see). 

For me its:
  • The walk along the canal path
  • A first pint from the Lion in the churchyard.
    • Leatherat at the Brasenose.
    • Ambling up with no chairs and sitting on a spare bit of grass down by the front. Even when it rains you can only get so wet.
    Breakfast at the school
  • The cheerful friendly ( and on our side stewards). Not a problem for me if they are getting paid, these guys are seriously good, and so I hope they are.
  • I like the food , and I don't get to eat a Goan fish Curry at any other time.
  • The crack and the meeting of famous musicians at the bar,
  • The Walk back to Gods own field over the two bridges in a crowd still excited by the evening.

I really don't Know what I would do if there wasn't a Cropredy Festival. I would probably still go and camp on field 7. I would still walk the canal to the village and I would sit under that  Oak and think the world a very good place.

For those of you who don't get to feel like this, my condolences. I am sad for you.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »

I only started going to Cropedy in 2004 so maybe I haven't had enough time to get disillusioned yet. For me, it's always been a 3-day festival with around 20,000 people on the Saturday. Plus I'm not overly bothered by corporate involvement - it can a positive thing sometimes. Wadworths Smiley

We made the decision to miss a year in 2012 as the line-up wasn't to our liking, but as the 2nd weekend in August approached and we weren't going, we realised it's much more than just music. For us, it's 4 days of total relaxation and fun. No work, no driving, no cooking, no deadlines, no pressure. I'm sure I can get all this from other festivals, and next year we will definitely go to at least one other, but for now we're happy with Cropredy and all it has to offer.

Tiara  Fez

Brij, we're not arguing and I'm very happy to be an old f**t. 2004 was something of a watershed yr for us although we did another 7 yrs. Dave P and Christine had split and there were subtle changes in the organisation, e.g, volunteer stewards went and in came professional security. I completely understand why but it did change the feel of that organically grown fest with Christine as the matriarch. Like you (and Bill), Cropredy was our release from work, that no longer applies and Sheen and I will again wander from small fest to small fest, play at a few and sell some of Sheens paintings.  I will be in the village on the sat, for a pint on the gravestones, music at the brase, a buffalo burger and dingbats from the canoe club.......and a toast to absent friends.
Maybe see you there Smiley and enjoy your summer of festivals - sounds idyllic and something I would love to do myself one day

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »

When a man is tired of Cropredy , he's tired of life.

Cropredy is more than the music.(Although Capercaillie,Waterboys,Treetop Flyers and Fairports in one weekend is enough, I caught a bit of Reg Meuross at Butlins and was seriously impressed so theres another I want to see). 

For me its:
  • The walk along the canal path
  • A first pint from the Lion in the churchyard.
    • Leatherat at the Brasenose.
    • Ambling up with no chairs and sitting on a spare bit of grass down by the front. Even when it rains you can only get so wet.
    Breakfast at the school
  • The cheerful friendly ( and on our side stewards). Not a problem for me if they are getting paid, these guys are seriously good, and so I hope they are.
  • I like the food , and I don't get to eat a Goan fish Curry at any other time.
  • The crack and the meeting of famous musicians at the bar,
  • The Walk back to Gods own field over the two bridges in a crowd still excited by the evening.

I really don't Know what I would do if there wasn't a Cropredy Festival. I would probably still go and camp on field 7. I would still walk the canal to the village and I would sit under that  Oak and think the world a very good place.

For those of you who don't get to feel like this, my condolences. I am sad for you.

Morning Trev, I'm not completely tired of life yet!! Grin and bless you for feeling sad for me. I am however, lucky enough to be able to pop to Cropredy (about an hr) outside the fest time and do all the things you mention, incl Saturday night gigs at the Brase. Sheen and I will be in Cropredy in June for Oxfordshire Open Studios, some of which are in Cropredy. We live nr the grand union so a walk along the canal is an almost daily occurrence. I go to the fringe on the Sat for most of the things you mention, the 'at, the craic, a pint at the lion and yes I would love to have seen Capercaillie, Blackbeards t Party and Waterboys at Cropredy but i'll see Waterboys and Blackbeards at other fests this yr. I have the excitement I used to have at Cropredy about returning to Festival at the Edge this yr, which gets as close to, as I remember, Cropredy in the early 80's.
Enjoy every minute. We only did Field 7 once , a year of floods, 97? and hated it. Field 2 for yrs and yrs and then you could only get on if you arrived at 5 in the morning, part of an 'in people ' convoy and dressed as a llama. (I lied about the llama). Have a great time. I will be watching the'at and wearing the hat in my avatar. Come and say hello, just to see I'm still alive. Cheesy
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »

Like Hendo I'm by no means done with life yet - I've just moved on.

We can all list our reasons for going to do particular things and none of what you mention is particularly unique. Most festivals, even the big ones, are more than the sum of their parts to those who attend and I respect people's right to choose those they attend.

I'm really glad that you and others still like and enjoy Cropredy, but please don't be sad for those of us that don't. I'm assuming what you have written is said tongue in cheek otherwise it could be read as somewhat patronising. I could just as well turn round and say that I am sad for those who stick to doing the same thing each year without trying something new, but I wouldn't as I know that people have things that mean a lot to them.

The weekend of Cropredy I've chosen to go to see Robert Plant, one of my all time greats, in the grounds of one of the most spectacular abbeys in the country, probably a once in a lifetime experience. I'll be attending at least 5 or 6 festivals this year, all for different experiences, plus having a month long trip round Europe in our camper van (health willing) to some places we've never been before and but revisiting some old favourites, and no doubt picking up the odd festival on the way.  I don't think I can be said to be tired of life yet.

Each to his own my friend, each to his own.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »

I'm with F7Trev - in a very non-condescending and non aggressive way.
I have been to other festivals - but not having a camper van, most require carting camping gear and having guy ropes pulled up... I have felt uncomfortable and even threatened at several.
Cropredy is in a different league and I wouldn't miss it for worlds.
I prefer the one stage as it means I don't have decisions to make - I just chill out and enjoy, the rest of my life is quite hectic enough, for one weekend I truly relax.
However, I'd gladly listen to recommendations for others that don't involve driving vast distances, have civilised camping and aren't extortionately expensive...
rachel barrett
n3wb

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »

Anyone going to Bath Folk Festival ( August 9th-17th)? It's got a really great vibe. Camping only £30 for the whole week or £20 for the weekend. Lots of cool acts already signed up including Martin Carthy, Sheelanagig, Rory Mcleod, Clive Caroll, Crowd, Tyn Daga and the Balina Whalers. Don't forget to bring your instruments to join in with all the sessions across the city too or join the Summer school for the week and learn lots of new tunes. Early bird deadline June 1st. More details on the website: www.bathfolkfestival.org
madsue
susie-no-shoes

Loc: lanzarote

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »

After going to Weeley Festival with absolutely nothing except a blanket to sit on, I then spent a long while as a devotee of Cambridge Folk Festival.  A few years back I went to Larmer Tree, Trowbridge and Cambridge back to back and realised there were other festivals better than Cambridge.  I then went on to go to Ely and Beautiful Days and forgot about Cambridge.  Last year was my first at Cropredy and whilst I enjoyed it, and met some lovely people from TAW, it didn't thrill me like other festivals  have done.  This year I am going to Cropredy again (mainly for the lineup), and will be at CFF the weekend before which, I must admit, I am getting very excited about.  What I liked most about Cropredy last year was the camaraderie, as usually I attend festivals on my own.
featherhead (Dot O)
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

Went to Gower Folk Festival last weekend for the first time ever, I would recommend it.  Small, very friendly, good sound, brew pub.  What more could you want? Sun, yep we got that and some very good music.
Will definitely go again. Cheesy
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:25 AM »

My neighbour smokes weed like there's no tomorrow.

I was sitting in front of the TV tonight, watching Robert Plant at Glastonbury, wishing I was there (without having to make the effort).

I got up to put some beer bottles in the recycling bin. It was raining, so I put a waterproof coat on. On the way back to the kitchen door, with the sound of Planty in my ears, dope smoke wafting over the fence, rain trickling down my back and with a sudden need to pee, I was there...!!

Result  Smiley

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »

I must admit, I haven't been to many other festivals. Been to Cambridge a few times, but not for a while. Other than that it's been the odd one that may have caught my eye. My wife is not a lover of the outdoor life, she went to Croppers with me once, but that was it - she wasn't impressed.

I haven't been to Cropredy every year, just when I can and when I can afford it - I remember the old 2 dayers and I can agree that it's got a bit more 'corporate', for want of a better word. However, it's still where I want to be on the second week of August.

I may not be going this year, due to boring circumstances, but I'd go if I could. If I can't make it I'll be wishing I was there.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »

Spent a day at Cornbury on Friday, pleasant enough. Highlight was in the comedy tent - Jeremy Hardy tearing away at the rich and privileged which was hilarious given the make up of the audience. As an aside, day ticket cost more than weekend ticket at Bearded Theory. Don't think I'll be back next year.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:15 AM »

Went to Gower Folk Festival last weekend for the first time ever, I would recommend it.  Small, very friendly, good sound, brew pub.  What more could you want? Sun, yep we got that and some very good music.
Will definitely go again. Cheesy

Hello there featherhead!  Good to hear that another Talkawhiler attended Gower FF. Good, wasn't it?  Grin. It is my local festival, and therefore very dear to me. Do come along again next year.  Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »

Got back from Purbeck Folk Festival late last night (ran away to miss the rain on a very steep site.) It's a good little festival, full of eclectic surprises. Never been before but we were attracted by a good line up this year - Chris Wood, Idlewild, Turin Brakes, Martha Tilston, Sally Barker among others.

Festival takes place on a farm, with camping in the fields around. The difference is the fields are steep and rolling with views of the sea and Corfe Castle and the stages are in barns, with tatty sofas and straw to sit on. It was fun but everything tended to end up dusty and smelling faintly of sheep.

We really enjoyed the festival, but it's hard work, especially with a small chap in tow. Our friends really struggled with a buggy.

Anyway, it made a fun change from Towersey and Shrewsbury.

Cheers Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »

Got back from Purbeck Folk Festival late last night (ran away to miss the rain on a very steep site.) It's a good little festival, full of eclectic surprises. Never been before but we were attracted by a good line up this year - Chris Wood, Idlewild, Turin Brakes, Martha Tilston, Sally Barker among others.

Had no idea Idlewild were back together...good?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »

Festival takes place on a farm, with camping in the fields around. The difference is the fields are steep and rolling with views of the sea and Corfe Castle and the stages are in barns, with tatty sofas and straw to sit on. It was fun but everything tended to end up dusty and smelling faintly of sheep.

We really enjoyed the festival, but it's hard work, especially with a small chap in tow. Our friends really struggled with a buggy.

Cheers Nick

Nothing wrong with smelling faintly of sheep!
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »

I think the main thing I've noticed at festivals this year is how much the food has gone up. No more £5 a meal, it's now £7-8 a time. Not taking your stove isn't an option any more.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »

Cheers Nick

Nothing wrong with smelling faintly of sheep!
It's almost the law in Wales!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:07 PM »

Had no idea Idlewild were back together...good?

Unfortunately we couldn't appreciate them.

It was an acoustic set, they were all seated on a fairly low stage in a long barn with lots of pillars and packed full of people. It was late in the evening and we had a tired 6 year old boy who couldn't see anything and didn't really want to be there - really should have been somewhere where he could be sat down or asleep. We only managed one song then admitted defeat and turned back towards the vans. We walked past the other barn on the way home, saw it had a higher stage, smaller crowd and there was a kick-ass cajun band called Sarah Savoy And The Hellraising Hayride playing. The lead singer had her young daughter onstage playing triangle with whom son immediately fell in love and insisted on watching, so we ended up in there kicking up dust and having a hoot!

That reminds me; it was a great festival for Cajun! Flats and Sharps were pretty special too. If you get the chance to see either, do.

Cheers

Nick

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »

Does anyone on here go to End Of The Road festival?

Trying to figure out why no-one seems to mention this one. I have a friend who raves about it but I can't find any substantial mention of it anywhere.

(Not that it's any good for us for the next few years - It would be a tad irresponsible waking up in a field near Salisbury on the day Alex is due back in school  Roll Eyes )

Cheers

Nick

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »

Does anyone on here go to End Of The Road festival?

Trying to figure out why no-one seems to mention this one. I have a friend who raves about it but I can't find any substantial mention of it anywhere.

No, but several friends who do, and they think it's the hound's gonads.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: