TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:59:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Song That Makes Your Heart Soar  (Read 52377 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »

Thanks for the link, Mike.

I don't like it.  At least I don't like the production and arrangement on this version.  The song itself might sound better live, though I'm not holding out much hope for it being my cup of tea in any form.

So that's a -1 from me.

Jules

It was a transcendent thing live, especially at Cropredy with lights and smoke and Ric duetting with himself but it was never likely to appeal to your anti prog tendencies Jules.

The Five Seasons was perhaps the third Fairport album I ever owned and their first release after I first saw them live so I knew and loved this stuff before I ever heard any of the "classics" except for Liege & Lief (which i didn't like to begin with because it did not resemble the band that I was familiar with). I still find The Wounded Whale hugely moving and wish the band could find a way to play it now.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

Never heard it live but I will throw my hat in for the like column as well. Perfect song for Simon's voice and I love how the music builds up as the song progresses. The Five Seasons is a Fairport album I can say I still have in 3 formats- Cassette, Vinyl and CD  Smiley

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »

I tried to convince myself I liked it (and the album) at the time, but I didn't really...as illustrated by the fact I've played virtually none of those albums in the intervening decades.  I always pencilled it in as a 'loo break' song during the 4 hour sets of the early 90's.  Very dated now - much more so than that which came so much earlier.  Still, at least it sounds like a band pushing on as a creative unit, unlike so much of what followed...  Undecided

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »

I tried to convince myself I liked it (and the album) at the time, but I didn't really...as illustrated by the fact I've played virtually none of those albums in the intervening decades.  I always pencilled it in as a 'loo break' song during the 4 hour sets of the early 90's.  Very dated now - much more so than that which came so much earlier.  Still, at least it sounds like a band pushing on as a creative unit, unlike so much of what followed...  Undecided

That is more or less the last one that I really like beginning to end. I'm not actually that keen on Red & Gold which preceded it. Jewel In The Crown has many admirers but I find it patchy. I enjoy most of WKWTTG and about three quarters of Festival Bell. Otherwise it is just the odd track here and there. It may be because 1990 is more or less where I came in with Fairport and it may be that "new" things still had the capacity to lodge in my consciousness that I have lost as I have got older but The Five Seasons had several cracking tracks that have remained personal favourites (Claudy Banks, Sock In It, Gold, Mock Morris 90) that formed the core of the set of the band that first impressed me when I originally encountered them. Ultimately I fell more in love with much of their back catalogue more but that did not stop me from enjoying this material too.

I am not sure sometimes what the concept of "dated" means when it comes to music. Autobahn sounds dated. That does not stop it from being a classic. Sometimes the sound of a recording makes it very clear when the recording dates from. That doesn't stop it from being enjoyable.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »

I am not sure sometimes what the concept of "dated" means when it comes to music. Autobahn sounds dated. That does not stop it from being a classic. Sometimes the sound of a recording makes it very clear when the recording dates from. That doesn't stop it from being enjoyable.  

Good point, well made.

I suppose what people tend to mean by "dated" though, is "dated badly".  E.g. that horrible 80s drum sound, or those even more horrible 80s synths.  Nobody has quite the same venom for those really-still-quite-nice 60s guitars.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »

.....   E.g. that horrible 80s drum sound, or those even more horrible 80s synths.

Jules
Mr "Eighties Man" Bridgwit would totally disagree with you there!  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »

I realised a long time ago, Bridg, that we disagree more about music (and politics) than we agree.  Luckily you're nice and also quite funny, so I've decided to let you off.   Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »

Good point, well made.

I suppose what people tend to mean by "dated" though, is "dated badly".  E.g. that horrible 80s drum sound, or those even more horrible 80s synths.  Nobody has quite the same venom for those really-still-quite-nice 60s guitars.

Jules

I mainly agree Jules BUT I still love and think that Marianne Faithful's,'  Broken English' (1980) is a seminal album.......synths, drum sound and all. Rather than dated, it is of it's time.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »

I mainly agree Jules BUT I still love and think that Marianne Faithful's,'  Broken English' (1980) is a seminal album.......synths, drum sound and all. Rather than dated, it is of it's time.

Off-topic admittedly, but an 80s album that really makes the heart soar is Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden. I can't believe I only heard it for the first time just over a year ago.

I really never listen to Red and Gold, Five Seasons, or Jewel in the Crown any more. I have to say that in general, I prefer Chris-era FC to Maart-era. But to make my heart soar, there's nothing beats that version of A Sailor's Life from IACRA, at least once June Tabor has relinquished the mic.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »

I realised a long time ago, Bridg, that we disagree more about music (and politics) than we agree.  Luckily you're nice and also quite funny, so I've decided to let you off.   Wink

Jules
Just seen this (been away). Thank you kind Sir Smiley that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me on a forum! Chuffed   Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »

Off-topic admittedly, but an 80s album that really makes the heart soar is Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden. I can't believe I only heard it for the first time just over a year ago.

I really never listen to Red and Gold, Five Seasons, or Jewel in the Crown any more. I have to say that in general, I prefer Chris-era FC to Maart-era. But to make my heart soar, there's nothing beats that version of A Sailor's Life from IACRA, at least once June Tabor has relinquished the mic.

Sorry to be totally thick, but I'm scratching my head trying to work out what IACRA stands for. I know that as soon as I'm told it will be a 'D'oh!' moment.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »

Sorry to be totally thick, but I'm scratching my head trying to work out what IACRA stands for. I know that as soon as I'm told it will be a 'D'oh!' moment.

It All Comes Round Again. It was a film that was made about the 1987 Cropredy festival and the 20th anniversary of the band generally. It was released on VHS by Island records and is overdue a DVD release but I doubt that will ever happen.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

It's on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtms24UBn08
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »

Was glad that it did go up on Youtube as I am deathly afraid to put my vhs copy in the player anymore, and I still enjoy this one.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »

Thanks - IAMSN (It all makes sense now!! Grin)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »

Was glad that it did go up on Youtube as I am deathly afraid to put my vhs copy in the player anymore, and I still enjoy this one.

Watched this rockumentary for the first time the other day. Enjoyed it, but a little strange watching with the benefit of the last 27 or so years' hindsight.
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2014, 01:59:54 AM »

Absolutely LOVE that album.  Very spiritual.  And completely unexpected from that band at the time it came out.  Couldn't play it enough back then.  Soaring heart indeed.
Eejay60 (Edward)

Loc: Wivenhoe, Colchester

« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »

Five......Gub, Hendo, Me, Mark C, PJayBe.......do I hear six?

A great track ... One of Simon's strongest vocals in my opinion. Guitar solo at the end leaves you wanting more.

Edward
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »

Absolutely LOVE that album.  Very spiritual.  And completely unexpected from that band at the time it came out.  Couldn't play it enough back then.  Soaring heart indeed.

Do you know Laughing Stock and Mark Hollis' solo album too...they are (in my mind if not in anybody else's) very much a trilogy...  All works of genius to my mind.  Some of the best music ever made.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »

Do you know Laughing Stock and Mark Hollis' solo album too...they are (in my mind if not in anybody else's) very much a trilogy...  All works of genius to my mind.  Some of the best music ever made.

Like.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: