TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:26:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour support acts  (Read 28805 times)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »

I completely agree with you, Abby. However, Katriona Gilmore is a cut above the rest of them, to say the least.

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »

I completely agree with you, Abby. However, Katriona Gilmore is a cut above the rest of them, to say the least.

Yes, thoroughly agree on both points. And Katriona and Jamie were my favourite support act of recent years by a country mile.
mikeatness

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »

Michael Chapman was support in the 80s but i cannot remember if this was part of the wintour. Terrific, energetic guitar.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »

Hasn't Katriona Gilmore come from Tiny Tin Lady? So what happened to the rest of that support band from back then...?

I really liked Tiny Tin Lady and went on to see them a few times in their own right. They expanded into a 5/6 piece (with drums and all sorts) and  I understand that they then took a break to allow for university studies. No more info than that, unfortunately.

Tiny Tin Teenagers................bag o'sh*te..................just my opinion mind............no discussion needed.

Well, that's told me!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 11:32:14 PM »

I did really like the version of Who Knows that made the round on YouTube the year Tiny Tin Lady were the support with Beth Gibbons taking a turn to a big round of applause. I liked some of their stuff but obviously I have never seen any of the support acts!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »

Another vote for Huw & Tony Williams.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »

I've been doing the Wintour since 2005, so the first I saw was Simon Mayor and Hillary James. Every single year I've enjoyed the opening act, so it's hard to pick a favourite. At a push I would probably say Katriona and Jamie, however Keiran Goss was also a favourite as were Ken Nicol and Phil Cool. Really looking forward to seeing Kev and Rosie next year as well.

Imponderable Joy
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »

Been doing wintours since 2009 (and Cropredies too) and all the support acts have their merits but I dont think they should not be bartered off against each other, they are ALL worthy of their position on that stage and bring a unique something to each and every performance.
I personally rate Kieron Goss and Edwina Hayes equal No 1 but thats just my opinion. If any one wants to Have a go up there I'm Sure the lads would love to hear your demo's, Me, I prefer to play very quietly in my bedroom. Looking forward to hearing Blair Dunlop as the support in the next couple of years (Hint, Hint, Hint).
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »

Considering Blair is currently, or is about to go, on tour in Australia, I think he's got his sights set a little higher than being support for Fairport  Roll Eyes

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »

This thread has reminded me of several I had forgotten about. A successful support is one I want to hear more of and on that basis the best for me have been Bob Fox, Steve Tilston and Kat & Jamie. The best support act is one where you are disappointed their set is so short but that doesn't happen too much! (Missed the current tour but heard Edwina Hayes supporting Jools some years back and was impressed.)

Can only think of one I didn't like over the last 15 years or so but will spare their blushes!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 11:12:34 PM »

Did that act involve a kookaburra?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 11:55:44 PM »

Did that act involve a kookaburra?
That part I didn't enjoy, but the rest of their act was great. I'm sure all acts have a song or part of their act that's, er, weaker than the rest....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 12:14:55 AM »

Considering Blair is currently, or is about to go, on tour in Australia, I think he's got his sights set a little higher than being support for Fairport  Roll Eyes

As you quite rightly say Blair is currently own under at Port Fairy, Brunswick and Katoomba, and I wish I was with him, Blair is in his own right a fine artist and Fairport could do far worse than have him open for them, I seem to recall many of the supports having already chased out a successsful career prior to supporting the wintour,  I am sure the boys regularly meet new emerging artists and established acts and would dearly love them all to join them on the tour, I personally look forward to seeing any act they see fit to join them, I havent been too dissapointed so far, Roll on Wintour 2015. ps Blair is back on tour in May with his new album 'House of Jacks' out on 26th May.
Alan Arnold
n3wb

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 12:29:29 AM »

This thread has reminded me of several I had forgotten about. A successful support is one I want to hear more of and on that basis the best for me have been Bob Fox, Steve Tilston and Kat & Jamie. The best support act is one where you are disappointed their set is so short but that doesn't happen too much! (Missed the current tour but heard Edwina Hayes supporting Jools some years back and was impressed.)

Can only think of one I didn't like over the last 15 years or so but will spare their blushes!

Edwina's set certainly was one that was too short. But at least she was invited back to join in on wkwttg as well as motl
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »

Helen's in a punk band I hear...not sure about the sisters Dani & ?....but Kat will chat if asked.

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »

Don't forget if you liked Kat & Jamie I have them on at the Musician this Thursday.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:37 AM »

When did the 'Wintour' as we know it actually start?

I ask because:

1) I'd give a thumbs up for Vikki Clayton as a good support act but can't remember if she ever really was a 'Wintour' support...

2) I've seen Fairport on every winter tour - not necessarily classified as the 'Wintour' - since the mid-80s reformation, but I'm afraid my recollection of all those support acts I must also have seen is completely shot! Who were they? And who knows where the brain cells go??

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 07:01:40 AM »

I ask because:

1) I'd give a thumbs up for Vikki Clayton as a good support act but can't remember if she ever really was a 'Wintour' support...

2) I've seen Fairport on every winter tour - not necessarily classified as the 'Wintour' - since the mid-80s reformation, but I'm afraid my recollection of all those support acts I must also have seen is completely shot! Who were they? And who knows where the brain cells go??

They were doing dates in Winter even when they didn't officially exist (1980-85), which is quite some doing, although I'm not sure when the abbreviated name came in...suspect late 80's but might be wrong...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »

I ask because:

They were doing dates in Winter even when they didn't officially exist (1980-85), which is quite some doing, although I'm not sure when the abbreviated name came in...suspect late 80's but might be wrong...

Beats me. I saw them a lot in the 1980-85 era (Swarb, Bruce, Simon & Peggy mostly) but have no recollections of any support acts on those dates. And I saw them a lot when Maart and Ric first joined but, again, can recall not one single support. Either there weren't any; I was in the bar; my memory is even worse than I thought.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »

Vikki Clayton was the Wintour support in 2002. One of the best I've seen, I remember catching the gig in Worthing. Simon had a lousy cold/flu bug and couldn't sing. He played guitar, Chris and Peggy did all the vocals and invited Vikki on towards the end of the gig to sing WKWTTG and a great version of Matty Groves, played Liege & Lief style. One of only 2 (I think) Fairport gigs I've been to where they didn't finish with MOTL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: