TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:27:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073481 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1480 on: December 03, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »

Just spotted this on amazon...

* FC1974.jpg (69.13 KB, 500x493 - viewed 954 times.)

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1481 on: December 03, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »

Live in Worcester and Tokyo.  Released 8th Jan 2021. 2CD set from Laser Media...

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1482 on: December 03, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »

And another (coming out tomorrow on the "Left Field" label...) Here's the item description:

MID-70s BROADCAST FROM SANDY DENNY S SECOND TENURE WITH FAIRPORT Sandy Denny first left Fairport Convention - to form Fotheringay with then boyfriend Trevor Lucas - in late 1969, having by then contributed to three of the band s albums. Fotheringay broke up in 1971, after which Sandy developed a critically acclaimed solo career, releasing three albums between 1971 and 1974 - by which time she had married Lucas and re-joined Fairport, by then fronted by her husband. During her second tenure with the group, they released Fairport Live Convention in July 74 (featuring shows by the Denny led group recorded in Melbourne and London). Then, in June 75, came Rising For The Moon, on which 7 of the 11 tracks were composed, or co-composed by Sandy. By mid-August 1975, Fairport Convention were out in the US promoting their recent masterpiece, and on 5th September they played at the tiny Amazingrace venue in Evanston, Illinois, in the suburbs of Chicago and home to the world-famous Northwestern University. The band played an extraordinary show, with Sandy Denny in pitch-perfect voice, and the entire proceedings being recorded and broadcast across the greater Chicago area. Released here for the first time, 45 years since it was performed and recorded, the release of this awesome show will surely prove a complete delight for Fairport and Denny fans alike. 1. Rising For The Moon 5:28 2. Tam Lin 8:32 3. The Hexamshire Lass 2:58 4. One More Chance 9:11 5. Brillancy Medley 2:27 6. Cherokee Shuffle 2:10 7. Down In The Flood 4:31 8. Sloth 17:57 9. Iron Lion 5:15 10. Sir B. Mackenzie 7:25 11. Pick Me Up 5:20

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1483 on: December 03, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »

Featuring Simon?  A photo from what, early '71? Ffs...that is shabby as ****

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1484 on: December 03, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »

I must admit that this recent minor deluge of releases has made me very pleased that in recent years I no longer regard myself as being in the position of "having to" own everything released by (or should I say "on behalf of" !) Fairport.  But if you do still regard yourself as a "completionist" then very fair play to you !  
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1485 on: December 03, 2020, 05:06:08 PM »

This has reminded me to listen again to the Before The Moon set which was released some years ago.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1486 on: December 03, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »

That's a fine release, Will...

And David, that was exactly my reaction. Not the first and almost certainly not the last. Hopefully the contents would be somewhat better. But...

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1487 on: December 03, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »

If they can't be arsed to have a picture of the correct lineup on the front, then I can't be arsed to buy it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1488 on: December 03, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »

I would appreciate feedback on Sandy's vocal performance on this set. I've struggled to appreciate recordings from this era because of her unevenness in live performance.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1489 on: December 04, 2020, 05:37:01 AM »

I have all those recordings already. I don't have the room to buy these releases just to stick them on the shelf after playing them once...I can't even remember listening to copies I have. There is some Slothy goodness to be had though.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1490 on: December 04, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »

There seem to be endless recordings and radio broadcasts of that tour. I have got to the point where I don't feel I need any more, though I am always open to another Sloth. After the Chicago 70 disgrace I would want to hear the sound before committing to any of these grey market releases in any case.

Before The Moon is terrific.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1491 on: December 04, 2020, 08:34:52 AM »

This has reminded me to listen again to the Before The Moon set which was released some years ago.

I think that was the last archive Fairport CD I bought. I seem to remember one disc was noticeably better than the other (if you had the 2CD edition, that is).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1492 on: December 04, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »

Lol.  This must be the special 'comes with a gold ingot' edition of Cropredy Capers... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264962148727?ul_noapp=true

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1493 on: December 04, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »

Lol.  This must be the special 'comes with a gold ingot' edition of Cropredy Capers... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264962148727?ul_noapp=true

Perhaps the Japanese seller meant to price it in Yen.  Grin
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1494 on: December 04, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »

Perhaps the Japanese seller meant to price it in Yen.  Grin

Blimey!...I've a fully signed version (number 626)...It must be worth £millions!!... Roll Eyes Wink
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1495 on: December 04, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »

I think that was the last archive Fairport CD I bought. I seem to remember one disc was noticeably better than the other (if you had the 2CD edition, that is).

Yes, there's a note on the CD saying the second disc is in mono because the master tapes had suffered the ravages of time.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1496 on: December 07, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »

Yes, there's a note on the CD saying the second disc is in mono because the master tapes had suffered the ravages of time.

Ah I see. I'm going from my memory,  which is becoming increasingly unreliable,  but I think I preferred the bonus disc to the other.
David Gladwin

Loc: The Greenwood

The Wood Road North

« Reply #1497 on: December 07, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »

And another (coming out tomorrow on the "Left Field" label...) Here's the item description:

MID-70s BROADCAST FROM SANDY DENNY S SECOND TENURE WITH FAIRPORT Sandy Denny first left Fairport Convention - to form Fotheringay with then boyfriend Trevor Lucas - in late 1969, having by then contributed to three of the band s albums. Fotheringay broke up in 1971, after which Sandy developed a critically acclaimed solo career, releasing three albums between 1971 and 1974 - by which time she had married Lucas and re-joined Fairport, by then fronted by her husband. During her second tenure with the group, they released Fairport Live Convention in July 74 (featuring shows by the Denny led group recorded in Melbourne and London). Then, in June 75, came Rising For The Moon, on which 7 of the 11 tracks were composed, or co-composed by Sandy. By mid-August 1975, Fairport Convention were out in the US promoting their recent masterpiece, and on 5th September they played at the tiny Amazingrace venue in Evanston, Illinois, in the suburbs of Chicago and home to the world-famous Northwestern University. The band played an extraordinary show, with Sandy Denny in pitch-perfect voice, and the entire proceedings being recorded and broadcast across the greater Chicago area. Released here for the first time, 45 years since it was performed and recorded, the release of this awesome show will surely prove a complete delight for Fairport and Denny fans alike. 1. Rising For The Moon 5:28 2. Tam Lin 8:32 3. The Hexamshire Lass 2:58 4. One More Chance 9:11 5. Brillancy Medley 2:27 6. Cherokee Shuffle 2:10 7. Down In The Flood 4:31 8. Sloth 17:57 9. Iron Lion 5:15 10. Sir B. Mackenzie 7:25 11. Pick Me Up 5:20

I've got a 3-disc bootleg recording of that show, featuring both sets - the early and late shows.

Don't think I have the Worcester or Tokyo shows from the other set, though.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1498 on: December 10, 2020, 03:02:40 PM »

I can't remember where it was (probably Listening Now) but someone asked at some point about whether Iain Matthews & The Salmon Smokers 'Fake Tan' was going to get a CD release.  He's just posted on FB that Talking Elephant are putting it out on Feb 12th.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1499 on: December 10, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »

I can't remember where it was (probably Listening Now) but someone asked at some point about whether Iain Matthews & The Salmon Smokers 'Fake Tan' was going to get a CD release.  He's just posted on FB that Talking Elephant are putting it out on Feb 12th.

It is a fantastic album, one of my albums of the year but I was a bit peeved to discover this a few weeks ago after paying a fortune for what was supposed to only be a very limited vinyl run.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: