TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:05:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072809 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1280 on: January 25, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »

Good to see the love for Bonny Bunch & Tipplers - definitely 2 of the most underrated FC albums … although I do prefer the version of the Bonny Bunch of Roses epic that eventually appeared on the expanded Full House CD - Swarb's voice seems to grate a bit on the later version.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1281 on: January 25, 2020, 04:17:22 PM »

Good to see the love for Bonny Bunch & Tipplers - definitely 2 of the most underrated FC albums … although I do prefer the version of the Bonny Bunch of Roses epic that eventually appeared on the expanded Full House CD - Swarb's voice seems to grate a bit on the later version.

He had another 8 years on the fags between versions.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1282 on: January 26, 2020, 11:56:57 AM »

Tyger's 75th today. Cripes.  Happy Birthday, Ashley.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1283 on: January 27, 2020, 09:46:21 AM »

I struggle to watch footage of Swarb with a permanent fag stuck in his gob. I know it was his way, but it's upsetting to see.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
paul bond 59

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #1284 on: January 29, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »

I struggle to watch footage of Swarb with a permanent fag stuck in his gob. I know it was his way, but it's upsetting to see.

I absolutely adore Bonny Bunch and Tipplers and enjoyed the Nicol/Pegg/ Rowlands/ Swarbrick live shows which were electric! Though I'm a non-smoker and always have been I remember a surreal conversation with Swarb about the health benefits of smoking,  how Woodbines tasted like bindweed and Capstan Full Strength were evil. Not sure how we got onto that subject, but I reminded him of that conversation one Cropredy when we met.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1285 on: January 29, 2020, 07:27:12 PM »

On the Facebook group "The Incredible String Band" a guy called Eric Brough has just uploaded a file of a snippet (5 mins or so) of a Radio 1 session by Robin Williamson thought to be broadcast on 6 Jan 79. And this is of interest because...?  Well, it is thought to feature Maart.  If it does, it's fairly minimal bass only, I think, but one or two might find it of interest...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1286 on: February 01, 2020, 08:08:12 AM »

Wintour in a sold out Southport last night. Really good show - quite a lot of the new album played and some of the songs came over well. I especially liked the one about the moon landings. There was also a superb version of Sloth. The support act, Smith and Brewer were enjoyable too.
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1287 on: February 01, 2020, 10:06:16 AM »

Wintour in a sold out Southport last night. Really good show - quite a lot of the new album played and some of the songs came over well. I especially liked the one about the moon landings. There was also a superb version of Sloth. The support act, Smith and Brewer were enjoyable too.

Completely agree thought Fairport were outstanding last night, Smith and Brewer also. New material comes across so much better live.  Ric’s got some new jokes too!

and the stars look very different today
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1288 on: February 01, 2020, 01:31:20 PM »

Completely agree thought Fairport were outstanding last night, Smith and Brewer also. New material comes across so much better live.  Ric’s got some new jokes too!

New jokes??? Noooo...is nothing sacred?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #1289 on: February 03, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »

New jokes??? Noooo...is nothing sacred?

Don't worry Mickf, Ric's new jokes are up to his usual standard  Shocked Shocked Lips Sealed Roll Eyes

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1290 on: February 05, 2020, 10:59:36 PM »

Wow, that was a bit good (apart from the jokes  Grin)

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #1291 on: February 09, 2020, 10:55:43 PM »

Chaps on form at RNCM tonight. First half mainly from the new album, few oldies in the 2nd half. First time I've seen Sloth outside of Cropredy. Very nearly a full house, which is apt. Smith and Brewer outstanding and joined for MotL, providing some lovely harmonies.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1292 on: February 19, 2020, 11:33:59 PM »

Just back from seeing the chaps in Canterbury on my birthday no less. Have to say it was the most robust and muscular performance I have seen from them in quite some time. Also in some respects the most comedically shambolic stemming from Simon losing his trousers, his tuning and his place in the set list and a rare musical mishap from Chris. To be fair they may have been put off their stride by having to prematurely curtail the first half when an audience member was taken ill. Nothing serious apparently. Smith and Brewer were outstanding and it was a hugely entertaining evening all round.

Also first hearing of the new album today. Will reserve judgement until I have listened properly but initial impressions are favourable for the most part.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #1293 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:49 AM »

Just back from seeing the chaps in Canterbury on my birthday no less. Have to say it was the most robust and muscular performance I have seen from them in quite some time. Also in some respects the most comedically shambolic stemming from Simon losing his trousers, his tuning and his place in the set list and a rare musical mishap from Chris. To be fair they may have been put off their stride by having to prematurely curtail the first half when an audience member was taken ill. Nothing serious apparently. Smith and Brewer were outstanding and it was a hugely entertaining evening all round.

Also first hearing of the new album today. Will reserve judgement until I have listened properly but initial impressions are favourable for the most part.

I look forward to you thoughts on the new album. Meanwhile can you elaborate on exactly how Simon lost his trousers??
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1294 on: February 20, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »

I look forward to you thoughts on the new album. Meanwhile can you elaborate on exactly how Simon lost his trousers??

It remains a mystery. His stage trousers went missing so he had to perform the entire first half in his street trousers. The correct strides were retrieved during the extended interval so when Simon then lost his place and confessed, "I am introducing the wrong song and holding the wrong guitar", Peggy quipped, "but wearing the right trousers", which brought the house down. Then when Chris started playing a song on the wrong instrument, Ric chimed in with, "Wrong trousers, wrong harmonica, it is turning into quite a night."

There was a lot of very funny onstage banter last night, more than I have seen for a very long time. It was one of the things I really enjoyed about the band when I first saw them and it is nice to see it again.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1295 on: February 20, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »

It remains a mystery. His stage trousers went missing so he had to perform the entire first half in his street trousers. The correct strides were retrieved during the extended interval so when Simon then lost his place and confessed, "I am introducing the wrong song and holding the wrong guitar", Peggy quipped, "but wearing the right trousers", which brought the house down. Then when Chris started playing a song on the wrong instrument, Ric chimed in with, "Wrong trousers, wrong harmonica, it is turning into quite a night."

There was a lot of very funny onstage banter last night, more than I have seen for a very long time. It was one of the things I really enjoyed about the band when I first saw them and it is nice to see it again.

I guess Simon was sleeping in his own bed (he lives locally now, doesn't he) which might account for the slightly more relaxed presentation...?

DarrenWilliams

« Reply #1296 on: February 20, 2020, 01:01:37 PM »

Ah, so he wasn't trouser-less? Because that would have been funny/farcical/disturbing (delete as applicable).
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1297 on: February 20, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »

I'm sure there is a story I have heard (but can't remember the details now) of a well refreshed Swarb and Simon outdoor show, which featured a lake and at least one of them taking off their trousers and going for a swim!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1298 on: February 20, 2020, 06:58:33 PM »

I'm sure there is a story I have heard (but can't remember the details now) of a well refreshed Swarb and Simon outdoor show, which featured a lake and at least one of them taking off their trousers and going for a swim!

That's just pants.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1299 on: February 21, 2020, 01:49:56 AM »

Yes, it was true...

* 20200221_021931.jpg (936.38 KB, 1008x1901 - viewed 598 times.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:21:53 AM by StephenB » Logged

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: